Vet Shocked At Me Giving My Dogs Vegies

sugar

I was told tomatos are toxic to dogs and can kill them. Is this correct?

No, it is not correct.

IMO the only vegetable I avoid is onions (which cause anemia). Anything else, a little in moderation, has never caused a serious problem for my dogs, nor have I personally heard of them being a serious problem (and yes, this includes things like grapes and avocados :) )

Getting back to tomatos - they are quite acidic, being a member of the nightshade family. One of the reasons I wouldn't purposely include them in the diet (particularly if your dog has arthritis or liver issues) although if you share a bit of ham and tomato sandwich, have a bit of leftover pasta sauce or your dog likes to eat them off the plant before you can harvest them for yourself then I would not be concerned (unless you REALLY wanted those tomatos on the bush for yourself that is :D )

Poodlefan has the corn thing covered :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was telling the vet tonight about how my SWF had a vomit last night- i took her up because my cat had to go for another check up on his leg. The vet said, was it digested food? I said no, because the peas and corn was still whole in the vomit. He looked at me like he was going to faint! He couldnt believe I give my dogs vegies :D :) Do you guys?

My vet was far from impressed when I told him my boy had been switched to a raw diet at all!

They had soo many concerns and gave me info to read on feeding your dogs properly. I told him I was well informed with what he was eating and has the required supplements etc. 5mins before this they were only commenting on how healthy he looked, how great his coat was and his weight was wonderful! When asked about these comments, they didn't have an answer for me other then saying "you should be very careful he is a GSD and he could have many problems as he grows!"

Who'd of thought a dog on a raw diet would actually be healthy hey? :D

IMO the reason most vets are against natural diets is b/c they can't make money from it - our dogs are healthier than processed-fed dogs, they have much cleaner mouths than processed-fed dogs, and vets don't sell RMBs and the other components of a raw food diet. And if they did sell natural foods, there is no big profit compared to selling Hills or the other crap they "recommend". Raw foods are cheaper than processed. And they're better for the dog!

IMO it's nothing to do with WHAT we feed per se, it's to do with reducing their profits. :)

I also think it comes down to personal opinion, experience, and perspective. Some vets are OK with natural diets and others are completely against, but overall, I think WE know how to feed our dogs best, don't we? I would never do anything to harm my dogs and I did my research before switching. I keep current through the internet and books, so I know what I'm doing is right.

I'd say the only problem is that the vegies are not pulverised - just juice the vegies, blend some of the juice with all the pulp and serve. I make enough for two weeks or so and freeze it in sandwich bags. Sometimes I include garlic or parsley in the mix.

I swear by the BARF diet and would never go back to processed. :D

I think the main reason most vets are against natural diets is that they don't know enough about them.

I've heard of some diets by people who claim to feed BARF or 'raw' that are anything BUT balanced. I think vets have a right to be concerned about raw feeding because it takes knowledge and effort to get raw feeding right.

A pup IS better off on kibble than a half a#$sed 'natural' diet, particuarly one that lacks raw meaty bones. Mince and a few veggies will not give a growing dog what it needs.

My vet knows I feed raw but she also knows what I feed. Discussion and education is the way to keep your vet happy! :D

Sugar, I'd suggest you invest in a juicer or blender and vary the veggies you feed a bit more. Both corn and peas are mostly starch.

I certainly do vary the veggies. They eat all types of veggies including my big lab boy will eat a corn cob now and then, not really fruit unless the kids gave them a bit of apple. But I dont feed BARF. Im feeding them supercoat, raw bones every day. Either chicken wings/necks or even steak(yes, the $$ human steak) or a massive bone from the butcher and the butcher cracks up because I say dont bother cuttng it up :D .

They get cheese, pasta, rice, veggies (not just peas and corn) also.

:)

What Poodlefan said about corn is spot on.... but I will add that the other reason not to feed corn is that it is a very common and nasty allergen for dogs... now food allergies are not the most common allergy in dogs, but why risk it?

If I could take away any one of my girls allergies and only the one it would be the corn... it is the nastiest of all her allergies!

Oh also, as PF said, a lot of vets don't like raw diets because a lot of people wont put in the effort, chuck the dog a bit of mince and think that's it... if you can't make it balanced then its not good...

Dan

From my observation, cereals seem to trigger more allergies in dogs than other foods. Wheat is another common allergen.

Sugar, I wouldn't worry with all the rice, pasta etc - as stated, dogs don't digest cereal at all well.

BTW its LARGE dogs that tend to have problems with corn cobs because they can ingest them whole. Why feed your dog something they can't digest and that might cause them a MAJOR health crisis. I'd highly recommend you take corn cobs of his menu. :D

Ok, no more corn cobs :D

but taking out pasta/rice/corn/peas is going to freak the dogs out :o

I thought not to feed dogs milk, or puppy milk/puppy porridge (pedigree pal) and then i was reading on the breeders forum yesterday that in the puppy pack was pedigree pal puppy porridge. :D :) so confused. At the end of the day, my dogs eat well and have lovely shiny coats. :o

**** BTW its LARGE dogs that tend to have problems with corn cobs because they can ingest them whole. ****

Oh yes so true.. had an Adult Rotty Hondo got into the garbage can one night swallowed a corn cob :D but lucky he passed it although took him a bit of extra push and shove.. ((ouch))

Since dogs tend to scoff their food - well Gus does anyway, I've stayed clear or peas & corn. They don't seem to digest at all - comes out whole - the corn can obstruct their intestinal tract. Especially if it's the cob - Absolute no.no.

I cut up the stalks from broccoli, carrots, potatoes, whatever is available. A few minutes with a bit of water, in the microwave to soften them. And a Hi-Fibre Weetbix - as advised by my vet. All this with fresh meat & dry dog food- we love to spoil them don't we. :D

Sugar different people have different beliefs about what's best for their dogs. I don't feed any cereals at all.

Kibble, puppy porridge, wheatbix - all cereals or cereal based. Therefore I wouldn't feed them.

Do plenty of reading, plenty of homework and make your own mind up. You are always going to hear different opinions about what's best to feed.

Blacklab:

The Billinghurst BARF diet does recommend a starchy meal once a fortnight. ie cooked grain of some sort. That's really it though as far as cereal is concerned.

His first book did Blacklab - he doesn't recommend it anymore - and I heard it from the "horse's mouth". :rolleyes:

Corn cobs are bad! My Abel spent two days being fed on paraffin oil and muck after being fed one [i told my family [b]not[/b] to feed him just anything]. Luckily it came out or he would have needed surgery.

I thought Weet-bix and other cereals are okay as a treat, but not as a main meal. Dogs can't digest cereals well - it's like their version of junk food. It fills the dog but offers little nutritional value in comparison. If you look at most cheap, supermarket-brand dog food, cereal is a prominent ingredient.

Mine gets a samll amount of rolled oats (ground) and some cooked barley (in the hope it is helping the urinary tract as it is supposed to with humans :mad ) - both are mixed in with the BARF mush.

Oh - toast and vegemite each morning - one slice only, shared with the cat! :rolleyes:

What was that about spoiling them?

cheers