Super Premium Foods, Opinions

My Feloe

Hello all,

I have a 10 week old Border Collie puppy named Feloe who is currently eating Eagle Pack for brekkie/lunch and he gets raw meaty bones when I get home from work. He also gets fish oil a few times a week with Yukalt & raw eggs.

I wanted to know if anyone else here feeds Eagle Pack, and how they have found their dogs on this? Also, how does it compare to foods like Innova (NOT Innova EVO..protein levels are too high for my liking), and California Natural.

Regards,

Daisy and Feloe

Edited by My Feloe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have changed one of my dogs over to Eagle Pack from another super premium brand, and have found he does very well on it.

You will find there's a fair few people on here feeding Eagle Pack who really like it.

Do a search...there was a long thread on it a couple of months back :laugh:

Cheers,

Mel.

Finding Eagle Pack very good as it's fine to feed other foods with, unlike some of the other super premium brands which are complete foods. My girls are doing very well on it, but don't find it as palatable as the Purina Pro Plan i was feeding before.. i just mix in some mince, sardines, yoghurt, etc and that takes care of that!

Hi there,

I think Eagle Pack is great :laugh: I've tried alot of the other brands and have found E P the best by far, his rashes have cleared up and no more ear infections :o ! I have tried Innova and California Natrual but they didn't agree with my dog (he came out in a massive rash :o ) I have heard of a few people that find Innova too strong for there dogs, but your pup might do well on it :p

Heres a link to one of the threads

Eagle Pack Users

Edited by Weimlover

I use Royal Canin and for all that it's a complete food i feed bones and raw stuff with it as often as not.

But i would feed EP over Innova and California Natural if i was to choose between the three. In fact my top three super premium foods would be RC, EP and Advance :crazy:

Guest LittlePixie

I feed Nutro Choice Lamb & Rice along with raw bones, pulped up vegies/fruit and a few other bits and pieces.

They only get the dry when I can't be bothered with the raw or if they're looking a bit skinny (the puppy especially).

Nutro is the best dry food available IMO... but it's very hard to get your hands on. I'm just lucky that I convinced my boss to stock it at work!

Hi Feloe, which selection of EP do you feed him?I feed my Japanese Spitz EP Holistic Chicken. After having read loads of forums on dog food, EP Holistic selections have pretty good review. I mix EP with California Natural. He's been eating CN for a while but I find that his stool is a bit soft. EP helps to form well. He's been on EP for over a month now. First, he didn't like the taste much, but he's ok with it now. I'm happy with both EP and CN. Just my opinion,I like to feed him with two different brands of super premium dry food to get varieties. I used to sit up all day for weeks researching on dog food . I'm glad you started off your puppy with super premium food. EP, Innova, CN, Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance are very good food that we can get them in Australia. They don't contain preservatives like BHA/BHT which you find in most premium food. These preservatives cause cancer in dogs. Here are the things that I look for in a commercial food:

-Human grade ingredientsbut I look for companies that use human grade meats (not meats that were rejected by the human food industry). For even higher quality, look for hormone and antibiotic free meats, especially those that are free range or pasture raised.

- No meat by-products or digest (meal is OK).

-No BHA/BHT or Ethoxyquin (preservatives)

-No artificial colors, no sugars and sweeteners (such as corn syrup, sucrose, ammoniated glycyrrhizin), no propylene glycol (added to some chewy foods to keep them moist, toxic in large amounts

-As few grains as possible

It is better for a dog to get a variety of foods, rather than just one food for its whole life. Feeding different commercial diets can help fill in nutritional gaps that a particular food or brand might have, as well as making it less likely that your dog will develop food allergies. Rather than trying to find one "perfect" food, it would be better to find 3 or 4 different ones that your dog does well with, and alternate between them, feeding one for three months or so, then switching to another. Be sure to make the switch gradually to avoid digestive upset.

I'm sure you'll be happy with EP :crazy:

post-22-1130737096.jpg

Edited by panda

I feed Nutro Choice Lamb & Rice along with raw bones, pulped up vegies/fruit and a few other bits and pieces.

They only get the dry when I can't be bothered with the raw or if they're looking a bit skinny (the puppy especially).

Nutro is the best dry food available IMO... but it's very hard to get your hands on. I'm just lucky that I convinced my boss to stock it at work!

Hi littlePixie, you said that your boss stock Nutro, do you work in a pet shop? I feed Eable Pack and California natural to my dog at the moment. But I'd like to switch to other super premium food from time to time. So where can you get Nutro in Sydney? What are the ingredients listed on the package? I usually read the ingredients before I buy it. Don't want to end up with lots of fillers.

Edited by panda

My dogs usually get either Science Diet Z/d or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic. My Cav's esp have to stay on these as they get rashy skin and itch alot if taken off. They also get some raw chicken necks and my shihtzu needs to have Bran mixed through his dinner as this helps with his digestion. He gets swollen alan glands if we take him off the bran.

Both Science Diet and Royal Canin contain preservatives. My puppy was on SD for a month and about one week of RC mixed with SD. But since I did a lot of research about some of the premium brands like SD and RC, I threw both bags in the bin. If you search dog food forum on SD, you'll come across a lot of negative posts about it. I'd try Eagle Pack Holistic selection for your dog. Most dogs are allergic to corn, soy..EP Holistic selections don't contain corn or soy. My puppy has beautiful coat, he gets so much attention when I take him for a walk. Your dog may have stopped itching from SD and RC because these particular selections don't contain hypoallergenic ingredients but I'm pretty sure that both of them contain preservatives. Californai Natural is great for dogs with allergies. The ingredients are very simple and contain no preservatives and no by-product. Because they use Vitamin E to preserve all of these foods, they are a much better choice for animal health. In many studies, preservatives have been linked to cancer and other canine diseases. SD contians by-products.

Check this website http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/archive/i...hp/t-31690.html

post-22-1130747228.jpg

Edited by panda

Go to www.eaglepack.com.au and click on the appropriate State. They have distributors in each State. I bought mine from www.petdeli.com.au EP Holistic chicken 15kg bag is $108. Works out cheaper to buy a large bag.

post-22-1130755887.jpg

Hi everyone,

Been reading about Eaglepack food in here so thought Id ring and see who stocks it here in WA. It will be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how Aly goes on these biscuits. Plus they work out cheaper than the Science Diet biscuits :thumbsup: Thats a bonus.