Tick Remover

booboo

While talking to my neighbour who's dog just had a tick, she said that the vet said under no circumstances should you try to remove the tick, you should just get the dog to the vet ASAP.

Is this true or should you be removing if you found one on your dog? :crazy:

Pull the tick off. The longer it's on the dog, the worse it gets. Also, not all ticks are paralysis ticks, so you could end up going to the vets for nothing. Just try to get the head out too.

We have ticks EVERY day here.

Just go to the vets if you're dog is getting sick - glazed eyes, laboured breathing, any sign of paralysis, excessive salivation. :crazy:

Ive always just pulled the ticks out with tweezers - but that gadget looks good.

Ive never had to pull one out though that had been attached for more than a few hours so they've always been small and not too hard to pull out.

Vet said its fine for me to pull them out.

hmmmm......pull it out then!

Oh man, I would just stuff it up and cause more damage, I just know it! :crazy:

ETA

Ok I just seen this on a website I was checking re ticks!

5. What do I do if I find a tick on my pet?

First - Is the dog showing any signs of tick paralysis?

If it is, you should contact a vet as soon as possible, and describe the state of your pet. The vet or vet hospital staff can advise you on how urgently you need to obtain veterinary treatment. If it is outside normal business hours, leave your pet to rest quietly while you contact a vet by phone to make the necessary arrangements. Do NOT give anything (food, water, or medication) by mouth, as an animal affected by tick paralysis cannot swallow properly.

Do not try to remove the tick at this stage. You can kill it with a few drops of insecticide (see below) but trying to remove the tick may worsen its effect on your animal. It is better to take the dog to a veterinarian and the tick will be dealt with during the treatment of the animal.

Edited by Alibear

I brought one of those tick removers aswell. They are very good.

I always remove the ticks that we all get, you just have to make sure that you remove the head and it is very important not to squash the tick when you are removing it because you will release all the toxins straight into the dog or humans system.

Horrible little critters eekkkk yuck. I like to burn them after removal yuck.

Should you find a tick, don’t remove it. Removing a live tick usually causes it to inject more toxin into your pet’s body. Kill the little bugger with a fast acting insecticide applied directly to it.

I've seen too many dogs die because their owners just take them out with a tweezers.

Get out the Baygon, Pea Beu(sp?), or any other good insecticide spray. Just spray directly on the spot of the tick. And wait till the bugger removes itself.

We went through a stage a few years ago, where everyday for about 2 weeks everytime riley came inside he'd have ticks crawling all over him. It was awlful.

Thankfully they havent been that bad since but they're still there.

I check Riley every morning and afternoon. He also has frontline and a tick collar.

Given that when we were living down the coast, we would remove on average 5-10 ticks from the dogs each day, I can't recommend taking a dog to a vet as soon as you see a tick.

I've heard the warnings about heads staying in, extra toxins being injected if the tick is stressed etc, but after we lost one dog to tick poisoning (before we knew better) we removed all ticks as soon as we found them and never had a dog become wobbly, nor have infections nor problems at the tick bite site.

Of course take the advice you feel more comfortable with (if it's feasible) but firmly and swiftly pulling ticks, killing them and (if neccessary- rarely) swabbing with antiseptic, has proved effective and safe in my experience.

Oh and does anyone have a description of cattle ticks / dog ticks vs paralysis ticks?

I've only ever come across the paralysis ticks and don't know what the others look like? Bigger? Boofier? more Bloated? :crazy:

There seems to be divided opinions on the tick issue !

I just found that this little instrument was better than tweezers and pretty much gets the whole thing out in one go., and thought that it could be helpful to others. Just sharing information , and not meaning to start conflict. !! Booboo

No conflict BooBoo, just trying to work out what is the best thing to do, as I have NO IDEA!!!!!

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: