Prey Drive Control & Focus..

G: would it be right to say Steve, that the main thing (while useing other styles of training) is not to discourage the dog from being "in drive" when around you??

K9: not just that, things such as bite inhibition etc also play a big part....

when are you coming to sunny QLD next?

K9: should be there befire the end of this year...

K9 is gonna be in Gympie SEQ on 23rd and 24th of Sept 2006. Places are limited and you need to book with me. PM me if you would like to come! :mad

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes him about 5 mins to drop it the first time (he doesn't chew and doesn't look stressed but should he drop it quicker???)

K9: he will drop it quicker soon as he realises it will strat the game again...

So by this you mean when the dog actually gets the ball, the game stops until he gives up the ball? And do you actually retain hold on the ball when the dog has it, or do you let them romp off with it?

I'm sooo looking forward to this workshop so I can tie all this info together!

Also in respect to the above, where my girl is pulling me like a locomotive on lead, does it mean that I shouldn't discourage this cuz it seems to me that she is in drive, but by discouraging am I harming any TiD outcomes?

R: So by this you mean when the dog actually gets the ball, the game stops until he gives up the ball? And do you actually retain hold on the ball when the dog has it, or do you let them romp off with it?

K9: The dog will be on a 15 foot leash, when he captures it, we show him no interest & move him on the leash in a procedure known as helicoptering...

R: Also in respect to the above, where my girl is pulling me like a locomotive on lead, does it mean that I shouldn't discourage this cuz it seems to me that she is in drive, but by discouraging am I harming any TiD outcomes?

K9: you will create what I call the "circle of control" & thats a bad thing for TID... I will show you :mad

Meriment - Look at him go!!!!!

Has he got little itty bitty springs in his feet :( He looks great!!!!

How are you going with all the spinning?

;) ;) Proud mother alert *whoop whoop*!!

I think he does have itty bitty springs yes :)

The spinning? Well in a word... dizzy :p everyone else at home finds this part highly amusing :rofl::laugh:

I'm sooo looking forward to this workshop so I can tie all this info together!

Exactly how I felt - and it's awesome when it happens :mad

Guess I'll just have to get out the roller skates and body armour until then :mad:rofl:

ETA: My girl always showed excellent drive for tracking, but she seems to have lost this lately. I guess I understand one of the reasons why now!

Edited by Rom

ETA: My girl always showed excellent drive for tracking, but she seems to have lost this lately. I guess I understand one of the reasons why now!

K9: Yep, tracking in drive can get a little difficult for the dog to keep focus & stay in drive, I will teach how to make this happen easily...

Good work Claire / Clare? wish my mutt would show a bit more interest, looks like it gonna be plan 2 coming along next month........

Al

Thanks!! (Claire with an "i" :( )

Don't worry - I tried with one of my girls, started moving the "prey" and said "get it!" and she took off around the garden like a mad woman :mad looking for cats or birds I imagine. **I** control the prey item, doesn't she get it?! OK so not such a natural as Norman :rofl::laugh:

i've started with Herbie the puglet, with both food and prey items, after a few leaps at it he sits back and looks at me like i'm a d!ck head. (and yes i am well aware of what i look like in my rainbow beanie)

i even fasted him and tridd again with yummy bbQ sausages (i bought cabanossi, but after sneaking a bit my self i found out it had chilli in it. stoopid IGA) but no, i was still a looser spinning in the back yard with handfull of sausage and a pug too embarassed be seen with me... lol.

i figure he is one of those low drive dogs that drive training doesn't work with.

Edited by Crysti_Lei

K9: Hey CL, dont be discouraged... Your dog has been taught to sit for food, this is in drive initialisation, focus... So the dog thinks that you want him to sit not lunge..

Keep it up he will break focus, its always a little slower when the dog has had previous training...

Remember to reward with the drive reward more often for a dog with less drive...

CL, I had the same problem with Kovu, who has been taught to sit for everything. He would see the toy, immediately plonk his butt to the ground and watch it intently. Then when I wouldn't give it to him he'd get really frustrated and start whinging, barking and spinning around and then sitting again.

He eventually got the hang of it when I started running around with it, and now he will lunge for it onlead.

Keep at it :(

K9, if I try building prey drive with food, is it just the same as with the toy where she will get 3 or 4 treats for catching them and then at the end you put the last big juicy treat down the front of your jacket effectively hiding it like you do with the toy and ending the session?

Al

If you were about to go out and get another dog would you elean toward a certain breed because they tend to be higher in drive to begin with

As soon as I move into my own home and can have another dog I want an American Bulldog from the Scott lines. Not going any smaller thank you :scold:

C: K9, if I try building prey drive with food, is it just the same as with the toy where she will get 3 or 4 treats for catching them and then at the end you put the last big juicy treat down the front of your jacket effectively hiding it like you do with the toy and ending the session?

K9: Yep, spot on... Just let your dog lick the treat at the start...