Tether Stakes

I am moving in a month and our new dog school runs classes at different times for different levels which will mean that I will be able to take both the dogs :clap:

Both are happy to be staked out of the way while the other is trained and this will obviously be necessary as I won't have time to take one home and pick the other up between classes. I will probably just crate Sascha as she is trained for this and happy in one but Beau has never been crate trained and I doubt he would be very impressed.

What are people feelings on stakes? I have had Beau tethered to someone elses stake at training before and he was quite happy to stay there but I want something that will be nice and strong and also easy to get into the ground, not tooexpensive in case I leave it behind (I wouldn't put it past me :laugh: )

If you have a month to prepare, I would start crate-training Beau now and not use a stake (although I've never tried them).

Will Beau fit into Sascha's crate, meaning you won't need to buy another?

A crate would be safest for Beau, in case an aggro dog got off-leash somehow or in case of a wayward child ... most clubs seem to have had issues with a wayward child or off-lead dog causing trouble for a tethered, unsupervised pooch. And much as you'd try to keep your eye on Beau will training Sascha, you can't be watching all the time.

Just my 2c :laugh:

I did think of that but it's a soft crate and although Sascha is bomb proof in her crate training I am a little concerned that Beau may be inclined to eat his way out :laugh: Atleast he is good with wayward children although there very rarely are any around at training from my exprience. He would fit in it though.

I would never tether a dog, I'm just too overprotective of mine to leave them that vulnerable. A crate would be the better alternative IMO. And most dogs accept a crate even if they don't like it very much. You'd feel much better knowing your dog can't hurt anyone or be hurt by anyone...crates are a GREAT and under-used dog tool, IMO. Failing that, an ex-pen might be another option...but more expensive than the crate. :laugh:

I would never tether a dog in circumstances where he/she would be at the mercy of other dogs and people. Its simply too risky.

Buy yourself a wire crate (they are usually cheaper than soft ones) and use the month to accustom Beau to being in it. Left in a crate with a pigs ear or similar, I'm sure he'll be fine. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

You don't need to convince me of the benifits of a crate, having had Sascha crate trained I'll never go back :clap:

However, not sure how he'll take to it but I'll give it a go. I might try some supervised time in the soft crate to see how he'll react to the concept and if it looks like he'l be OK I'll either buy a wire crate or if he's totally cool with it he can share Sascha's one.

My concern is that I have bad shoulders and I find it difficult often to carry heavy weights so I'm not sure how well I would be able to handle a heavier wire crate? :laugh:

Failing that has anyone that has used tethers successfully got any recommendations? The club I go to always has a line of dogs tethered at the agility area and he has been happy in the past to be tethered near them, so I would be interested to hear peoples experiences.

Because I have multiple dogs that I own and train, and sometimes train in areas where I need to walk, I use these tie out stakes.

1818.jpg

They are easy to carry, have spinning heads, you can put two dogs on each stake, you use your foot to hammer them in, and they are (depending on the dogs conditioning) quite safe.

Also in retriever trials sometimes we are required to stake our dogs, after walking over very tough terrain and the stakes are the only option we have, (besides a tree if available) to tether our dogs. Depending on the dog, I use a chain, as a couple of mine are well known to chew through leads very quickly.

Edited by Lablover

Looks good, can I ask where you got it from and how much it was?

A couple of retriever trialers make them. I think they are about $30.00. Postage would not be much. I have mailed a few to friends in the US too!!!

If interested send me an Email and I will find one for you.

I know this is stating the obvious, but since I witnessed a near fatal accident with one of these stakes last week, I figure it's a worthwhile warning...Please make sure they are completely secure in the ground, especially if the dog is likely to want to take off.

i have only used the screw in ones for my bc and that was very secure just make sure it isnt to soft ghround that the dog can wiggle it loose but ive never had one come out and i did use it at obedience training........

r.i.p rexy miss you..