Obedience Clubs...advise/opinions?...

ReXy

No she doesn't!  She's a club junky as it is  ;)

;) :p

I don't know what you mean ........ :o

ETA: If there are many of those clubs that oppose motivation, I think I'd be wasting my time. Think I'll stick to what I've got! :)

Edited by Erny

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I hijack for a moment if thats ok? As Erny and HR know I joined ADT a few weeks ago with Skye and wanted to ask this...Skye is not really food motivated, never has been so last week I took a toy for her "reward". She still wasn't really interested in that either and it was a toy she always brings to me at home. She seems to prefer big pats and verbal praise more than anything. Even so she still seems to be like "ok, enough already with the fuss, lets get back to work"!!! Is patting and fussing a good enough motivator if it works for her?

AO - I don't think you're hi-jacking .... or, if you are, you're probably hi-jacking our hi-jack! :o

If that's what works BEST, then, IMO, yes ... it's fine. Is it that she's a bit too distracted, or even overwhelmed, at the moment, to be interested in what would be her usual motivator at home? If so, keep bringing the motivator, because as she settles down, you'll probably find it will come back into play eventually.

Also, is her toy motivator something that ONLY comes out for training?

Use what works Annie. Keep her favourite toy in your pocket in the event that she changes her mind. A trainingcentre is full of stimuli for a lot of the newer dogs so it might be very distracting for her at the moment.

Also try some diffesnt styles of foods, such as Don skinless franks etc.

Erny - it is a toy that is readily available at home, my problem with having one just for training is she is only really toy motivated when the younger dog wants to play so having one just for her mightn't work either! Will find one and try though.

Erny and HR - she seems to have settled well, not overly distracted by the other dogs like younger dogs seem to be. I will try some different treats too, she has always responded well to new or different treats. Its not like her training is suffering for not having a failsafe motivator, she is doing very well (in my eyes anyway!).

OT again - she was excellent last Thursday night, made me look good! I said to one of the instructors I was cheating with an older dog because she already knows the basics and isn't as easily distracted as the young ones! After one class her drops at home are 100% better than what they were beforehand, and I'm impressed seeing as before this year she didn't even know drop!

.....she was excellent last Thursday night, made me look good! ....... After one class her drops at home are 100% better than what they were beforehand, and I'm impressed seeing as before this year she didn't even know drop!

Great that her training's going well. IMO owners are credited with the dog's "problems" as much as they are with the "successes" .... so congratulations to you.

I haven't seen her (haven't been to ADT much in the last month or so ... caught up with NDTF lectures etc.), so difficult for me to shed a qualified opinion, but if you can use a toy - one which is ONLY for training, it is often better (in the long term) for use in building drive. (Refer K9's many threads relating to drive; building drive etc.)

The pats and praise you're giving her now might be sufficient for the level you're in, but a really strong desire to earn her "prey item" will help in achieving a much higher level in obedience training. ETA: Not saying you won't get there without - at the end of the day, the dog always dictates what its favourite motivator is (but we can work to tickle its desires, where possible ... )

I adopted my dog "Kal" when she was 6 3/4 years old. I only wish I could have had her from a pup so I could have worked harder at developing her prey drive beyond what she's got now .... which isn't exactly zilch, but is close. I could've used it to work through many issues alot easier than I've had.

Edited by Erny

I hope you see this Lablover :)

I just heard a whisper there will be quite a few DOLers at Hastings tonight. Not in the puppy class tho :p , but in the classes that start when yours finishes. Keep an eye out! :o

Have fuuuuuuuuuun! ;) ;)

Edited by Hedds

Erny, would you mind PMing me the details of the agility club? I'd love to take Loki! The last club I took him to for just agility were complete nutters ;)

Haven, it's been my experience that that word "club" stands for, gathering of nutters. :angel:

I'm yet to be a member of a club that isn't ruined by politics :eek:

Hi HR

I agree politics suck. I go for a few weeks then disappear for a while so they dont feel too familiar and start questioning the way i train lol Sad isnt it that i have to do that. DD yes you have seen first hadn the way the club is they dont like me speaking to you how quickly were you whisked away to a 'real' trainer lol.

ERny so are you a memebr or an agility club we are going over to kcc this thrusday night to have a looksie.

Hehe connors favorite toy makes loud pussy cat noises i think westernport would have a few things to say about that lol may have to take it nexttime i feel the urge to go to a club Oh for a place to train where people respct trainers that get results

how quickly were you whisked away to a 'real' trainer lol.

but the real trainer does not participate in the class activities any more than yourself - i think thats where it all falls down really that people who compete dont involve themselves with the rest more often than not. ill probably be viewed with suspicion myself these days - someone was not impressed i have another dog who does activites but never attends club. Similalry i dont report any acheivements to the club, as thus far they have been in activites outside of their training.

ERny so are you a memebr or an agility club we are going over to kcc this thrusday night to have a looksie.

I'm a member of Action Dogs, but these days I don't go to train Kal. I started her about 3 years ago .... merely to build her confidence. Long story short, she has the more than occasional problem with her back/hip area going out of align (because of something else which is another long story). Plus the fact she's getting older.

I go there once every couple of months, though, but all I do is put Kal over a couple of the obstacles she enjoys, before training starts. We only do the low stuff, and only for a few minutes or so. That seems to be enough for her.

I don't go to KCC Park (ie K9 Agility) but my friend is an instructor and committee member there, so I've got a good idea of what they do.

DD

I dont do classes simply because one i use a lot of prey drive and tey dont like me playing in class and i tend to break off a lot to reward which they dont like.

Two Im legally blind so am not comfortable in a class i walk quickly and always find people under my feet lol

Plus i have no desire to watch dogs been treated wrongly when i train to th side i can block out wats going on in the classes but wehn your involved in the class you cant ignore it..

when i have tried to involve myself in the club offered to give runthroughs run a trial class help wit the problem dogs help with agility they never seem to need any help. i got told my ideas are to radical lol funny isnt it they have no problem with a certain trainer that strings her dog up by the ears and twists them if he doesnt fetch yet my toys and food throwing and having fun is too radical I also dont put in my achivements to the club and dont collect trophies for titles

a certain trainer that strings her dog up by the ears and twists them
Saw that... dont think Beck would enjoy all that ear pulling
I dont do classes simply because one i use a lot of prey drive and tey dont like me playing in class and i tend to break off a lot to reward which they dont like.
At least you hang around and talk to people if they ask questions.

At the comp the other week, i got told that Beck isnt completely beyond hope and it would be worth continuing a while longer...and again got told in competition you must do the hands above head recall, anything else is a fail..this is were involvement frorm those that really know and compete would be helpful.

Ok who was the judge so i can correct him nicely.

You do not even have to have a hand signal it states hand and or verbal

So long as the signal is smooth and singular it doesnt matter whatyou use in singular i mean not stopping half way and then continuing that woud be a double signal. The signal i think i remember you using is fine for the ring. why they would use a judge that dosnt know the rule bok for the higher classes i dont know I did offer to judge the higher classes but i think they are scared of my aliean powers lol.

If your not sure of something bail me up i wont be there this week but will be bac th following week weather permittng if you like we could do a ring run through and the i can have a look at what you do i know your going back to working on stuff but you could take food and a toy in and use them to eep him motivated plus it woud give me a chane to watch his body language on the stand for exam and maybe find some things for you to watch for

I hope you see this Lablover :eek:

I just heard a whisper there will be quite a few DOLers at Hastings tonight. Not in the puppy class tho :eek: , but in the classes that start when yours finishes. Keep an eye out! ;)

Have fuuuuuuuuuun! :angel::eek:

hi hedds bugger i have only seen this just now ggrrrr my internet connection was down yesterday and i couldnt get on line for most of the day/ !!! when is this fun day at training toby loveeed the puppy class last night he was pretty good doing sits and started drop he fluked a few lol and still working on it... denise was great we chatted for quiet a while..lol only 1 other pup in the class so it was great.. will join up next week not sure if i can go sunday with dodge as yet... grrrr have to hope i can make it.. or just wait and start him after the christmas break up.... im dying to get out there with him

Not sure when Beck will be back out - leg injury of some sort.

This was the second person to tell me the signal is unacceptable -the firat a few weeks ago in the practice ring, so i think its a widely held club belief - my dogs will probably never get out of white advance because we dont do a correct recall. ;)

I know my signal is fine, i checked with another person (no name here but you know who) who has plenty of competition and judging experience, when it was first raised. Just gets frustrating when you are being told you are doing it wrong when you know you arent.

May see you in a couple of weeks if i drag Skye around, though would like the advice with her, ready to try anything to raise her enthusiasm level.