Allergic To Chicken...? What Would You Feed...?

Mika finally got into see the vet we wanted her to see today (Rosalie at Gladesville Vets - Thanks for the references Dru!!).

We got more out of one vet today than we have out of any vet previously.

Mika's one staple in her diet has been chicken, as we thought that she was allergic to beef, but after a huge change in her the last six weeks things have gone nuts.

Rosalie thinks that Mika might be allergic to chicken...

We are to try and elimination diet -starting with food she has not had in ages....

Possibly lamb, roo, buffalo, turkey or anything else that is not Beef or Chicken at this stage. She said more veggies too, and no gluten (pasta or rice in case she is allergic to that too)....

Does anyone have any sites I can look at about food intolerances/allergies?? Apparently chicken is a common food to be allergic to...!

Mika unfortunately has broken out in a massive hot spot, and has infectious skin that is now being treated by antibiotics, steroids, medicated washes, revolution and other spot ons, as well as aloveen.

Rosalie is wanting us to basically bombard her system and over throw it because it is fighting too hard...

This has been 18 months of different vets and different treatments that we have tried. However Rosalie told us more today, than any of the vets put together...

We will be going to Gladesville vets from now on... Not only were they sympathetic to a wailing dog (Mika was screaming), but they explained everything to us in detail, as well as being affordable. I'll be recommending them to everyone from now on.

Glad you're getting somewhere ;)

Unfortunately, food allergies can often occur to the proteins to which an animal is commonly exposed to. Contrary to some popular beliefs, beef, chicken and lamb are the most common (over an above gluten, preservatives and everything else - but those certainly happen too).

One website I can think of off the top of my head is www.veterinarypartner.com.

Earlier in the year I spent some time with a veterinary dermatologist and have quite a collection of articles built up over the last couple of year. Feel free to PM if you like.

Rappie, Thanks for the link ;)

We are about to go to the shops to try and find something for Mika to eat... LOL.

We are to take her off chicken... Preferably lamb and beef too.. (not that she is on those at the moment).

We have to avoid fish because she has had contact with a fair bit of fish and we have to find a cat food that fits into this new lot of info too in case she nibbles on that.

On the upside - it is not a flea allergy (though she does react to the fleas)... it is not mites, but we are treating for scabies anyways just to be certain... she had skin scrapings today (no vet had done a skin scraping before today!!) and nothing other than infection showed up....

Poor thing had to have a hot spot shaved - she did not like that!!

I could have hugged the vet today though... she was so brilliant...

(We also have the sydney uni number ready in case we need to see the dermatologist there who was also recommended... as a side note: we saw a vet student at the open day who gave us more info in 15 minutes, than the regular vet we saw had ever given us - they teach you lot well :rofl:)

Now we just need to work out the best way to help Mika... *nervous wreck*

My weim is allergic to chicken - note that this can include egg, so if you buy any pre-prepared foods look out for egg in them. Honestly its near impossible to avoid chicken/egg in commercial foods we had to switch to fully homemade to avoid them.

Best of luck - the full elimination diet is daunting at first but worthwhile being very strict about it, to really know the allergies.

Well glad you're happy :rofl:

It sounds as those kangaroo might be one of the easiest things for you, assuming that your cat is keen on the idea. Probably ideal if you can get it fresh, rather than the processed stuff just for the sake of keeping it all "clean".

All the dermatologists at the uni are lovely, I spent my time with Beth McDonald.

Who did you speak to at the open day? Can PM if you don't want to say on here. It was a smaller group of students than expected but everyone I remember being there would have been very good to you! We try to do a good job ;)

Hooray! That's great news Tiana, at least it's a start you are confident about. They are fab there at Gladesville, each vet has their own special interest and Ro's is skin. She can talk skin all day if you let her :rofl: And she lurrrves cats too. Mark (one of the other vets) loves rats and birds, so between them all you will be well catered for :mad I was there yesterday seeing Max, George has broken his toe ;)

I take my Cavalier to see Pam,at Gladesville, for acupuncture on her HD and yes they are very good. Rosalie is the wife of my regular vets-small world. :rofl: Lani developed a sensitivity to chicken, she now has turkey necks,lamb necks,veges and Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry food and is doing well. When she has fish, I usually cook white fish, not sardines.Her problem was more related to the bowel but everything is going well at the moment-paws crossed ;)

Don't forget rabbit as an option too. Lots of it around at the moment, although certainly on the expensive side. I pay around $10 or $11 each for a wild rabbit (from organic butcher or chicken outlet) which has the added benefit of not being subject to chemicals (unless they were eating in areas where it was used) or $4.50 for about the same amount of commercially raised white rabbit from a pet supplier (which would cost more than the wild rabbit though if I bought it at the butcher). The commercially raised rabbit has a higher fat content.

I don't know how you are feeding, but the simplest way to do an elimination diet is a raw(BARF) diet. You can take the diet back to one thing only (eg JUST the rabbit, or turkey or roo or whatever) and feed that on its own for a few weeks. Then you can start adding things one at a time and watch for reactions before adding another. It is very flexible as you can add, subtract and see the effect of individual items rather than juggling mixes of multiple items. Some foods can also have a different effect when they are raw rather than when they are cooked. Sometimes (and this can go for humans as well as other animals like dogs) a food that can not be tolerated when cooked is prefectly fine when raw.

If your dog does not tolerate chicken, be aware that sometimes it can depend on the production method for that chicken as well. While the use of hormones is illegal in chicken and have been for 50 years or so (so those signs advertising 'hormone free' are true, but are in a way false advertising by omission as ALL chicken is hormone free no matter what the source - I certainly wouldn't be paying extra just because it was stated to be 'hormone free' :thumbsup: ), there are other chemicals/antibiotics used in the process which can sometimes cause a reaction. sometimes a dog will do fine on organic chicken, but reacts to those grown using 'normal' commercial methods.

Edited by espinay2

Mine are allergic to chicken, beef and grains.

I find Kangaroo was way to rich, it had to be introduced gradually,

Tell her to go organic and catch her own mice :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: Just joking I know you are a rattie person.

White fish, rabbit is very good, goat if you can get it.

Good luck.

It can be a bugger to clear up.