Teaching The "leave" Command

My obedience club teaches me to make the recall command 'come' a happy sounding thing. And yes this works vast majority of the time. But what I need is a mean nasty 'do it or else" command for when she isn't responding to the "come" - I figure "leave" is a good alternative.

How do I start teaching my dog (she's 21 months) this command? I don't want to just try it as need dictates - what are things we can practice at home so she KNOWS it is 'do it or else' COMMAND?

all advice welcome.

I know what you mean but using a "I mean it or else" command with "come" could result in your dog associating "come" with some aprehension and therefore you might end up getting a lesser response to come.

Now that my dog has learned to come by positive response , she will also now listen to "now" , and knows I mean bussiness, she just picked that up herself by the change of tone in my voice , I still praise her for coming.

If I really need her to come quickly , picking up a stick does it everytime , she will then totally focus on me , come towards me and sit , which gives me the option to either put her lead on or praise her for coming , I then give her the stick to carry until were ready to play.

maybe you could find what really gets your dogs attention , maybe taking out a treat and holding it up , calling out "ball" if she's ball focussed etc and follow that with "Come now"

I find also with my dog that my husband can be far more "do it or else" with my dog (female) then I can , she'll do absolutely anything he says instantly , but with me I have to work at it :rofl: typical girl bitch

Edited by Christina77

If you are having trouble with reliability of recalls, I would recommend that you start proofing the recall on lead rather than teaching a new command. If she doesn't come when you say come, what makes you think she will come when you say leave?

The thing is haven these instances are rare. Vast majority of the time she will come on the recall command. But for instance, the other day she was intently sniffing a low hanging tree branch. She was totally deaf to me. I even (as suggested earlier) shook my 'treat container' out and shook it, but she didn't 'hear' that either. N'er a glance or a twitch of the ear. :laugh: Then she started barking at the tree branch :rofl: I suspect a strong stench of possum. I had to go up to her (and because she was so intent on the branch, easily caught) and bung her on the lead and she was forthwith unceremoniously taken home.

Could her age (getting into adulthood) be part of it?

I wouldn't think so, it's basically a training issue. You need to make coming back to you more appetetive than sniffing the tree branch.

You might like to look into e-collar training, there have been a number of threads on the subject I believe.

is an e-collar one of those 'zapper' ones? Aren't they quite pricey?

we DO practice the recall quite a bit - mixing in 'treats' with 'good girl' praise so she knows a treat isn't always involved. Like I said she is a dab hand at recall MOST of the time - but sometimes...

But you are right, 'come' should not be 'optional' - but how to do this without being mean???? Thus my thinking another command might be helpful.

I use a squeaky toy when I'm on a walk & there's a really strong distraction. Sometimes a soft squeeze is enough to get his attention, sometimes it needs a really hard press. The noise gets him to turn his head to me, then I click. Then he comes to me for a treat.

I use a squeaky toy when I'm on a walk & there's a really strong distraction. Sometimes a soft squeeze is enough to get his attention, sometimes it needs a really hard press. The noise gets him to turn his head to me, then I click. Then he comes to me for a treat.

I agree , the key is to get the attention , then a recall.

A tree branch has lots of smells ;)

I tried to get my dogs attention this morning while she had her head in a hole and bum up looking for a crab.......no way , didn't work.

I call out "Bella dinner"

instant attention :mad:mad just as well I had treats in my pocket !

We use the command "leave it" to tell our dogs to ignore other dogs, trees and various distractions.

Same but usually we use it with food. Having a small child there is always food around at dog level and she is very very good.

We started off small, on a lead with a boring treat in front of her. When she goes to take the treat you just hold her back and say "leave it" then when she does it for a short period you give her an even yummier treat than what she was doing for.

We worked our way up and she now doesn't take food from other people if I say leave it ;)

Thanks pixel - I did a little sessions like you suggested yesterday and will continue to build on it. Tho trying to figure out which treat might be 'boring' was a bit of a challenge. :(

and Christina - I shoulda thought. She always has her ears pricked up when I call the cat. Though standing in a park calling out "here puss puss puss' in a high pitched voice... I think people might start reaching for their fridge magnets! ;)

Getting the dogs attention is the most important thing and it can be hard, believe me I know i have a beagle cross basset, but we are getting there. The use of a squeaky toy is good to get the attention of your dog but make sure you call her to come at the same time otherwise she will only come when you use the squeaky toy.

Practice does make perfect. If she finds other things more rewarding, maybe put her on a long line a few times and she will soon realise that having her freedom is much more fun and will come straight away when you call. Let her off the long line as her reward for a run etc. Just an idea

Anne

I know what you mean but using a "I mean it or else" command with "come" could result in your dog associating "come" with some aprehension and therefore you might end up getting a lesser response to come.

Now that my dog has learned to come by positive response , she will also now listen to "now" , and knows I mean bussiness, she just picked that up herself by the change of tone in my voice , I still praise her for coming.

If I really need her to come quickly , picking up a stick does it everytime , she will then totally focus on me , come towards me and sit , which gives me the option to either put her lead on or praise her for coming , I then give her the stick to carry until were ready to play.

maybe you could find what really gets your dogs attention , maybe taking out a treat and holding it up , calling out "ball" if she's ball focussed etc and follow that with "Come now"

I find also with my dog that my husband can be far more "do it or else" with my dog (female) then I can , she'll do absolutely anything he says instantly , but with me I have to work at it :( typical girl bitch

Are you secretly the 'other' mum of O-ren?? cos your bitch sounds like O-ren, only nowadays she is SOOO focused on the ball or stick she wont let ANYTHING take her eyes off it, including moving out of the way of my hands if i reach out to her GRRRRRR she simply dodges and sits aside ready for me to throw.. prob make a good flyball gal, she is OBSESSIVE..

i know wot u mean about the OHs secret control... O-ren will do as he wishes STRAIGHT away he doesnt even have to add tone or authortity... its my fault... i give her all the affection and stuff so she knows how to play 'cute' with me and disobey ;) ;)

K9: its a learned response but the word itself probably lends itself to great control of your voice, the word is short & sharp.

A dog in good pack place will understand this a correction, which it can be..

Much different to the word "give" which ends more softly.

If she finds other things more rewarding, maybe put her on a long line a few times and she will soon realise that having her freedom is much more fun and will come straight away when you call.

well I got an extenda lead from the $2 shope today - but it was $2.50!

Umm could I use the extenda lead to add in the 'now' command do you think? Like if she doesn't 'come' quickly enough then say 'now' and haul her in????