Staffy Pup With Rash

jet

Hi my pup Staff 15 weeks old and has started to develop a rash, I know this breed is prone to it. I am wondering what I can use to treat her as I I wish to avoid cortesone. She seems to get it after extended period on grass. I am also wondering if it may be her bed mat (it is made of wool)

PS do puppies normally grow out of this?

I am also wondering what I can do to get a nice glowing coat.

Thanks

Jet

hi :rofl:

the first thing i would do would be loking for problem plants in your garden like wandering dew

you might also want to look closely at your pups diet......i found with my staffys science diet would trigger alot of my girls itching but every dog is different. you may want to try a raw diet, chicken wings are good.

there is also a good shampoo called malaseb which i find relives itchy skin

the best thing i did was used the process of illimination two things that really set my girl scratching is beef products and supercoat dry food

my advice.......try and try and try again

good luck

I feed MInx some Omega 3,6 and 9 oils in her dinner every night and once a week give her a can of sardines in her breakfast and if you look at her pic below you will see her glowing coat ;)

Edited by kittyhawklee

• 2 weeks later...
Alas I googled images of wandering jew and one has just started to creep into oor b/yard, I shall rip it out with pleasure :)

Ripping it out wont work. It grows underground and will just pop up again elsewhere.

I've had it in my yard, I used an overly strong solution of Round-up repeatedly to kill it off.

It's managed to show up again about a year later. Damn neighbours have it and it comes in under the fence :rofl:

I too have the experience of my 7mth GWP old suffering from a rash. The wandering dew was the initial cause and has been ripped out and mowed for now- I've got my weed killer & spray bottle ready but have to wait for dryer weather.

The dog's paddock is presently seeding madly and my 2 darlings just love racing around and rolling in the grass. Unfortunately Matt's the 'delicate' one and hasn't much hair on his belly/hair to protect him unlike his woolly sister.

I use Aloveen skin conditioner on him regularly. It has a very pleasant smell, somewhat like coconut and acts as a barrier cream. He loves it & happily rolls over to have it put on his tummy & armpits. He also loves the taste (which is not harmful BTW) and I have a bit of a race to get the stuff onto him before he licks it off my hands. :rofl::(:(

Aloveen Shampoo and Conditioner is available from most vets :o

If you google Wandering Jew, you should find some more images. It's quite pretty and makes for nice ground cover due to the purple colour on the bottom of the leaf.

post-22-1134690703.jpg

Edited by Dru

Could be either diet or grass/wandering jew problems.

I have recently moved to QLD from NZ and the chewing of feet is driving us insane.

Heard about this recently: www.justgreyhounds.com/hairanalysis/ and have sent away hair samples for my dogs to be tested.

For diet I would suggest that depending on where you live you try Nutro Natural Choice Dog and Cat food, only avail unfortunatley in QLD and NSW but no chemical preservatives, no by products and no corn. Only chicken and lamb are used.

www.specialfriendsdogcare.com.au

Don't experiment.

See your vet.

I must be very lucky, I have never had a skin prob with any of mine.

Wandering jew usually causes hair loss & rawness of the muzzle.

Could a diet prob, try a change of kibble & use kangaroo mince instead of tinned food.

Include sardines, cheese, veges(cook enough for the dog when you do yours) at least one feed a weeek, not all together tho. Also use a drizzle of olive oil evrey now & again. Hard boiled eggs mashed into the food, shell & all, couple of times a month is good also.

Hey Dru, thanks for the clarification on the name.

Staffy-Lover, you mentioned using the Aloe Vera plant. I've always got a few growing in my garden and I know how effective the plant's been for me but I was hesitant to use it on the dog/s. After all, when we put it on our skin we don't spend the next 15 minutes trying to lick it off! Do you know if there are any risks associated with dogs digesting the sap?

I admit Aloveen is great but I'm going thru' it like whipped cream at the moment & it acts as a barrier cream whereas the Aloe plant is not only soothing but also healing.

Sam