Puppy Teeth

axxl

Hi all, I have a 5 month old GR and have noticed that two of her bottom teeth ( sorry don't know the name of them, but the fang looking ones!) are sticking into her top gum, there's even a hole on each side where the tooth has been sticking into it. I was wondering if this is normal?

By the pictures your pup appears to have an overshot jaw. In most breeds the top teeth should fit snuggly over the bottom and the canines (those big teeth) should slot in comfortably. I'll post the only pics of teeth I can find and hope you can see them - can never get the size right, either too big or too small! Perhaps a trip to the Vet. or a doggy dentist would be an idea, there shouldn't be injury to the gum.

Edited by pebbles

mmmmm I have been wondering about this for a few days now. Thanks pebbles. My vet should probably have picked up on this when she was there for her last vacc, he checked her teeth too. A doggy dentist, where would I find one of them!! I have read a bit about bites not being right, as she is only 5 months is it possible that it may get better?

It may change a little as her adult teeth come in, the permanent canines (fangs) may sit better in the jaw and not dig into the gum.

If the gum is causing her pain it maybe worth thinking about having the deciduous canines removed, that said, I had this problem with my wisdom teeth when the lower set came in before the top set and it looked a lot worse then it felt.

Don't panic - a long time standard poodle breeder I know reckons the bottom jaw is the last to grow and judging from your picks not a lot of growth would be needed to make the bite a scissor. As the dogs adult teeth are not through yet I would wait and keep checking. A groove can be cut to allow the canines to fit properly but I wouldn't do this until the adult teeth were through. Check on the teeth and give plenty of raw bones to encourage baby teeth to come out when it is time. Go to the vet if teeth are very smelly and babies are not coming out and adult teeth are through. :mad

You may be able to shift these teeth out by putting pressure from your thumb on them and holding it for about 10 seconds. Do this as often as possible through the day and apart from your thumb getting very sore you may move the tooth out. Alternatlvely the tooth may be removed. I had a bitch with teeth like this and the vet I was using at the time refused to remove it. That caused the mouth to not grow as it should have as the misplaced tooth held everything from sitting correctly.

I have found as a rule and we see this a fair bit in my breed that when the new teeth come through they are usually correct BUT you do need to keep an eye on them and if the look like going into the upper jaw or on the inside of it then push the tooth out

The same thing happen to my standard poodle, since the bottom teeth were the baby teeth they had to be remove( those teeth are long from the inside, we were surprise :mad when the vet gave them to us) by the vet to let the adult teeth out and she's fine but by the look of it for your dog it seems a little worst then my dog.

Those tooth are about 3 to 4 times long of what you see in the mouth, they are extremely long :(

There is one link

http://www.dentalvet.com/Encyclopedia/P00352_SC01096.htm

Another one

http://www.spinone.com/TeethMalocclusion.htm

http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pat...ic/dogpage.html

Edited by CK9

Thanks heaps everyone, I have made an appointment to see my vet at 2pm today, so will see what they have to say...hopefully it is good news....and not what you said Dougie! :mad The vet said that they should have picked up on it 3 weeks ago when I was in for my last vacc because they checked her teeth then so they said something about a reduced consult, so lets hope so! I do hope I get some good news and they are just growing wrong. All the rest of the teeth are adult ones and they seem fine, just the canines are wrong. Her show career may be over before it's even started :(

....and not what you said Dougie! 

Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings, but that's what they are.

Because they are puppy teeth there may be something that can be done to "steer" the adult teeth in the right direction.

Heres hoping.

Gums look a little iffy as well, good you are going to the vet today.

They're inverted canines.

Orthodontic treatment required. Very expensive.

You may have to win lotto.

I agree that they are inverted canines but not that this automatically means expensive orthodontic work. These are only puppy teeth not adult ones and there is still plenty of options to be explored.

I know quite a few breeders in the UK and probably here too that in a situation like this will actually cut the top of the tooth off. This does not cause pain to the pup, in fact quite the contary as it removes the piece of the tooth sticking into the gum. It also makes the tooth die off earlier and hence loosen and it comes out sooner than it would otherwise.

My option here would be to get the vet to remove the tooth as often these ones are larger than normal puppy teeth and do not come out when they should. Then you can watch and guide the new teeth into the correct positin IF they look like being inverted.