When Do You Switch From Puppy Food To Adult Food?

cassie

My BMD Zephyr is approaching 13 months old and I still have him on puppy food, (Eagle Pack Holistic Large/Giant Breed Puppy). Just wondering when you all switch/ed to adult food? Because he's a large/giant breed, I've heard he can stay on puppy food up to two years old! But i've also heard 18 months, so just wondering what you all think. Thanks :thumbsup:

There are varying opinions on this based on the amount of protein. Many breeders and large breed owners change their pups over very early as many believe lower protein means slower growth spurts in large boned dogs.

The EP large breed puppy compared to the Natural adult formula- well the usable energy is very similar. So it would be up to you.

I'm sure there'll be lots of interesting replies here though...this is just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Mel.

Hi

I have Newfoundlands and my 2 pups Charlie and Tia have just passed the 6 month line - they are now off Supercoat puppy and are on a Working Dog kibble - still 22% protein - they have been on it just over a week - they love the change and simply woof it down, think they may have been a bit bored withSupercoat.

But my main reason for change is the protein content which in reducing this should still see growth but at a controlled rather than fast rate, which i prefer in large breeds.

Being from the UK i have had to find new feeds for my bears and Cobbers Working dog has been great in my older dogs - they have nice coats/skin and teeth - so i am staying with this for the pups as it seems a good food for my other dogs.

I tried loads of different feeds but this one seems really good and only $22.45 for 20kg.

In your breed - very similar to Newfy - he has probably nearly reached his target height for breed anyway and will just fill out and broaden as he reaches maturity - i would consider changing him over gradually now - or speak to your breeder see what they suggest.

Hope this helps

Debs

My understanding of large breed puppy is the bigger the dog the longer you keep them on it:

Labs/Goldens 12 - 18 months

Giant breeds 18-24 months

Sorry but i disagree.

If your large breed puppy grows too quick (which is what these high protein foods - puppy foods promote) you will have excess pressure on the bones.

However if you control growth by still using a decent food with a protein content of around 22% less pressure will be added to the bone growth - hopefully reducing HD.

Puppy feeds are usually 26-32% protein content which is too high for a large breed as they are less active as a puppy than say a Jack Russel that is happy to run around all day and would need the extra energy in a puppy food.

I would definately not feed puppy formula foods to a large breed past 6 months of age.

Debs

Hi Goldeneale,

It can be so confusing with the different thoughts on pretty much everything. Most Golden breeders recommend changing to an adult food at 5 or 6 months of age to ensure a more sustained level of growth, so as not to place so much pressure on young joints. It is thought that high levels of protein (which are present in a lot of puppy foods) contribute to a fast rate of growth, although i have also read some research which disputes this!! Personally, i'd rather play it safe. As you're probably aware, there are some hip and elbow problems with Goldens. I think all you can do, is research yourself and do whatever you feel more comfortable with. An alternative would be to switch to a puppy formula which is lower in protein and specifically designed for Large breeds. eg Eagle Pack Large/Giant breed.

Hi Jen

Sorry to butt in here...but we are using Royal Canin for Sasha - puppy formula i think for breeds up to 25 kg (which Sasha will prob more, she is 22 now at 6 mths)at adult weight - this was on advice from pet supplies place. What is your opinion on that? SHould we switch over when it i sfinished? (prob about another 2 mths, we bought a huge bag - cant bear the thought of wasting it)

Thanks

Ruth

When I was looking to change Casper over to adult food, the research I did led me to believe I should do so at 18 months. When he was 13 months old I asked the vet and she said I should be doing it around 12 months. That same day, I started mixing his puppy and adult food together. I did that for a month, gradually increasing the adult foor and decreasing the puppy food. He's always been on IAMS for large breeds.

He is now 4yo and weighs 38kg has no bone or joint problems that I can see.