Sesamoid Troubles

Hi guys!

I have a 6 month old sbt who has a problem with his foot

He was limping on and off for a couple of weeks and as we watched we realised that it was normally after he had woken from a nap, normally after running around or playing

He would always "walk it off" and it wouldn't last very long

We took him to one vet and due to the fact that he screamed whenever she touched his feet, she came to the conclusion that she would have to xray and she thought it may be arthritis (at 6 months?)

So the next day I cancelled the appointment to put him in for an entire day just to get an xray and went to another vet, this one the one that my breeder uses who comes with great reccomendations

His conclusion was that it could be sesamiod inflammation or possible fracture so we put him on rimadyl for 2 weeks but didn't confine him, though we limited his walks and playing (though now looking back not enough)

This didn't help and we confined him to his crate or on lead next to us on the couch, no running or jumping for a week, his only exercise going to the pool for a swim twice, we also massaged and stimulated blood flow in his foot with a herbal ointment twice a day

He didn't limp that entire week so we still confined him during the day but let him out while we are home, stopping him and putting his lead on if he started being silly (I feel so mean!!!) and he is still limping if he has small bouts of stafford madness and we don't catch it within seconds (after he sleeps then wakes up)

Has anyone had these or similar experiences? What did or would you do for treatment?

I'm thinking we will keep being careful and go back to the later in the week to maybe get xrays as I know sesamoid problems can take their time to heal

I thank you in advance and look forward to hearing your advice/experiences

Thanks

Bel (and poor little Eddie!)

We had a sesamoid injury on Amber years ago which was diagnosed by our doggy chiropractor man after our previous vet couldn't find anything.

He had us use comfrey ointment, rubbed into the toe on the spot he marked for us, combined with rest. You can normally pick up jars of Comfrey ointment from health food shops and chemists.

Mr Doggy Chiro told us that what normally happens is you get a young dog that does zoomies, and turns too suddenly on a hard surface (summer is the worst cause the ground is soooo hard), bending the toe the wrong way and causing damage or fracture.

Poor Eddie - they hate being confined, don't they? Hope he starts feeling better soon :confused:

Cheers,

Trace

Trace

Thanks for that, I the stuff we are using is herbgel

I will check out comfrey ointment too though

How long did Amber take to heal?

Yeah they do hate being confined, especially when he just wants to go nuts running around bouncing off absolutely everything!!!

Edited to add, this is the info from the ointment we are using on him - it has comfrey so that's good!

Margaret thomas herbgel

Herbal Tincture: Comfrey & Arnica

Flower Essences: Dandelion, Comfrey& Forgetmenot

Infusion of Reki energy

Homeopathic: RhusT, Bry, Led, Arn, Ruta

Edited by shoemonster

I wish I remember how long it took - but it was around 7 or 8 years ago and I have problems remembering what I did yesterday :eek:

I seem to remember it being re-occuring for a while though - we would rest her, it would come good, she would be an idiot, we would be back to square one.

We always had to be careful with her when she was young, but as she grew the issue faded away (perhaps because she became more sensible?)

Cheers,

Trace

Yes a good ointment, I can recommend many greyhound ones if need be...and lots and lots of rest...

Just when you think he may be better, still make him rest even longer...

This problem is usually associated more with the younger dogs...

Mel xx

Edited by greyhoundangel

Yeah he comes good and then one manic run and he's limping again

Our vet has grey hounds and he said it's really common with them

I think I will keep doing what we are doing now, just making him stop when he's silly and confining him during the day when we can't watch

Though obedience went back last week and I don't know if I should go or not (it's tonight)

He won't be running around there or walking far, just sits and drops and stays for now and a little bit of heeling

What would you guys do?

Shoemonster,

All the vets I have ever visited will xray straight away, if required. I am confused why a whole day off would be needed for a simple foot xray, only requiring two simple views.

Anyway!!!! I have had two labradors who have suffered from fractured sessamoid bones, which in labradors requires a lot of pressure or force. One vet suggested a horse may have stood on the offending foot.

At the initial consult where xrays were taken, with a pet owner type vet - (on a Sunday afternoon), advised me that the dog would have to be retired from retrieving trials. As per normal LOL, a second opinion was quickly obtained, from a vet who has a special interest in racing greyhounds. A cortico-steroid injection was given, a soft cast applied for about 5 days. She is nearly 12 years of age and arthritis in the offending foot has never been noted. She has always been a very hard working lab.

In my experience with my dogs, if they are showing any signs of pain, there is something to worry about.

My suggestion is xraying the foot.

Good luck.

Lablover, thank you!

I agree about the xray, I think they just didn't want to take the time to do it and would prefer to stick him in a crate all day until they got a gap! They were also a pet type vet (on a public holiday) I wasn't happy about it so decided to go to the 2nd vet who I had been told would do xrays while I waited which I was much happier with

The 2nd vet also like yours is involved in racing greyhounds and has alot of experience with sesamoid injuries but he wanted to wait and see without xraying as he didn't think it was fractured, just inflammed

His opinion was to try this first and if nothing improved to xray for fractures

It has improved (i think) but is that only because we are restricting him (I don't know)

I have also been told that sesamoid injuries can take 6-12 weeks to heal even if they are not fractures

I think what I will however do is ring and speak to him again this week and see what his opinion is on whether or not we keep doing what we are or we come back for xrays and further treatment

It is great to hear (or not great for the doggies!!!) someone else has had this happen and to know that your girl is 12 and not suffering any ill effects of having such an injury though

He isn't showing pain when you touch it, only the limp, but then sbt's have pretty high pain tolerance

Oh we went to obedience, he did a short class of just some sits and stays etc and after a bit of a sleep he's not limping like he would have 4 weeks ago which is hoepfully a good sign

So you would do the obedience? It's a basic class

I think I will I just need someone else to say yeah should be right!!!!

Ooooh btw Mel I love your avatar!!!

See how your dog goes...when we had dogs with Sesamoid problems we still had to walk them on the lead etc to empty out etc

As to your other comment :eek:

Mel xx

I have had this problem in my greyhounds and my Rottie, can be hard to treat because as you say they seem to be getting better then pull up lame again.

You must rember if your vet sees alot of greyhounds (racing ones) they will probarly err on the side of not wanting to spend too much of your money as most greyhound trainers will take the wait and see approach (unlees the dog is fast) (have lots of experience here have vet nursed in greyhound clinics for 13 years). I would ask for an xray just to be on the safe side and maybe consider some swimming as it is low impact and will burn some energy.

Hey kimjm

We swim with you!!! We come down to dogs in motion, have been about 6 or 7 times, last time being last Sun, am coming down this sat too

Eddie LOVES his swimming and you've got a great set up there

You also have a good point about the money thing and the grey hounds, I think I'll call the vet on fri and get an xray just so we know

Edited for spelling!

Edited by shoemonster

Hey well there you go. I know EDDIE

I am having the weekend off (doesn't happen very often) So will catch up when i see you next you.

Join our online group for owners rehabing their dogs.Just started up but hoping it will grow and help owners with support and ideas for rehabing their dogs.

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dogsinmotion

Edited by kimjm

Just thought I would update and say that he seems to be coming good now and we are gradually bringing him back to normal activities a little at a time

Still semi confined when we're not home and free while we are home, still massaging a few times a day

No walks yet but swimming and obedience, will maybe start him on 5 minutes walks or just taking him to the shops with us etc

Fingers crossed that it keeps going like this! It's been 6 or so weeks now and he's been so good - though much more destrcutive at the moment from boredom poor little guy, we have to remember all our puppy proofing again!!!

Thanks for everyones advice and support

Bel