Prong Collars

I have heard that they work extremely well :eek: I'm not sure about the legalities in WA, I know they are sadly illegal here in Vic but I certainly have considered buying one interstate and taking my chances. Most people on this forum seem to be in favour of prong collars so I don't think you'll have a debate on your hands to worry about ;)

I was of the belief that they are legal in WA... If used correctly, they are a brilliant training tool IMO - I've had a lot of success with my one. I doubt you will find them in the pet shops over here tho and they are probably lesser quality ones if you do. K9Force (do a search on members) sells top quality ones, he's based on the east.

I started using prong collars on both my dogs a couple of months ago, and it has made all the difference in the world. Though they are well-trained and heel quite nicely, when they saw cat or squirrel or any prey, with belt collars I was either dragged down the street on my face or was forced to drop their leads.

With the prong, when they feel any pressure they drop back to give me a loose lead. They now beome excited when I bring out the prongs because they know we're going somewhere fun.

As far as legalities in your country, no clue. If they are illegal, it's truely a shame as they are a very good training tool.

post-8555-1140233104_thumb.jpg

couldnt tell you what the law is in WA - i know they are illegal here in vic, but i use them on my dogs anyway...

my shepherd was a persistant puller... a prong collar has made SO much difference to her behaviour it is not funny...

i can stop my almost 50kg rottweiler in his tracks with one (and i'm not a big person)...

make sure if you're going to use one you read up on correct fitting and use, because as good a tool as they are, they can be very innefective and dangerous if not fitted correctly...

I thought it was only the Victorian Government that was stupid and ignorant enough to ban them, even in the face of submissions to suggest they do otherwise (which, it was admitted, they didn't even read). Hugely Wirthless was behind the ban too .... does he travel? :eek:

Nic you can purchase a prong collar from (user name) K-9 force Steve will help in assisting you on how to measure your dog so you can get the correct fitting collar. Link to web site for you http://www.k9force.net/tcollars.html

I'm unsure if they are legal in WA (Steve should be able to advise you on that also). I know about 10 years ago a friend brought one back with her from the US, and customs took it off her at the airport as it was illegal.

Ways to get around it, not that I'm suggesting for a moment you should break the law :eek: put a bandana around the dog's neck (over the collar), or make a cover for it with material and velcro, perhaps out of funky material, whatever your into, like fake fur animal print :mad Failing that you could also move states (probably a bit extreme) ;)

Great idea KC! I reckon they'd be a few buyers some something like that.

I've not had any issues with mine other than not being allowed at the dog club (even inside out :eek: ) Occasionally someone in the street will ask about it, I just take it off the dog and show them how gentle they can be. Problem solved!

If your dog is a long haired breed it probably would not be noticable. I however have a Dobe, so it will stick out like....well um....dogs balls :mad I've ordered one (it's not here yet). My daughter said she wouldn't come out walking with me if I was going to use it, not because she thinks it's cruel, she just thinks people will be ignorant and possibly abusive, so I came up with the idea of the bandana or a cover for the collar. Heck I can't sew, I'm hopeless, but I figured how hard could it be to make a cover for it :) Some iron on velcro (easy), and if I wanted to be really neat and tidy, I could just do a simple stitch around the fabric ;)

However..........maybe Kelpie would like to do a test one for me, fancy a trip to Tassi :eek:

maybe I should start making covers for them, anyone in Vic have one they would allowme to measure. PM me if you're willing, happy to come to you ;)

Cut out the toe end of a sock and thread it through - works pretty well ... :D