Ivermectin Liquid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it covers most other worms except I think it was hookworm?? Sorry BL - it's been a few years now :( Perhaps some of the others that posted will be able to shed more light :laugh: Also never had a problem with fleas when my dogs were on it...

Hey Holly - is Ivomec the same strength preparation and is the sole ingredient Ivermectin? Ivomec is is easy to get your hands on as long as you've got a produce store nearby. What dose per kilo of bodyweight?

It's sounding so good from some of the other posts that I'm reconsidering my decision to stop using it! :laugh:

I-Rex, while it's true that some dogs do carry the gene that makes them sensitive to ivermectin type drugs, so far, no Border Collies in the American testing have been found to have the mutation. There have been Border Collie deaths and adverse reactions, but it seems that they have come from inaccurate dosing with oral ivermectin intended for large animals.

The several vets I have spoken to about this have no problems with giving Heartgard tablets to Border Collies - provided you have the correct dosage. That said, I personally would be wary of using the injections - but that's just me being cautious.

Here drug sensitivity gene link is a link on the work done in the US. And apparently the sensitivity is to all the avermectin type drugs, not just ivermectin.

Barb

I use the ivomec ( ivermectin) sheep formula. Its easy cos i have sheep LOL.

I think it does all except tapeworm ( sma efor the sheep I use a yearly white drench for the tape worms). The sheep formula is suitable for dogs. the cattle formula is not as it has a higher amount of active ingredient per ml if that makes sense.

I have sheep scales which double as dog scales.

I think tho that I will be changing to the daily heartwormmeds as soon as I have them all tested again.

Apparently it covers most other worms except I think it was hookworm?? Sorry BL - it's been a few years now :( Perhaps some of the others that posted will be able to shed more light :laugh: Also never had a problem with fleas when my dogs were on it...

Hey Holly - is Ivomec the same strength preparation and is the sole ingredient Ivermectin? Ivomec is is easy to get your hands on as long as you've got a produce store nearby. What dose per kilo of bodyweight?

It's sounding so good from some of the other posts that I'm reconsidering my decision to stop using it! :laugh:

IVOMEC liquid for sheep, broad spectrum oral antiparasitic solution: Active constituent: Ivermectin 0.8g/l

I bought a 5 litre bottle from vetproductsdirect, bypassing my produce store, he can get it too, but I had to buy some other things, like Advantix so went to the online store. for 30kg 4ml for 40kg 6ml :laugh:

Many do not sell offlabel because it looses those companies money that have it 'on lable' I would prefer to have extra in reserve like the a spey today :) bugger the lingo, I want good animal health care without sending us broke :)

Ivermectin is used as an active ingredient in 2 [that I know of] heartworm meds . And in a higher dose it does do earmite .

Off lable means its illegal for someone to use it or advise someone to use it if they are not a vet or it has not been prescribed by a vet.

Personally I think the dosages that Holly has posted to be too high for heatworm. Possible side effects especially in some breeds

can be pretty horrible and there is some research to suggest these types of meds cause sperm counts to drop and fertility to go back after a dose. Showdog super site articles advise against using this type of med in breeding dogs.

Basically they are insecticides and putting that into your dogs bloodstream where it bubbles away for up to 6 weeks is not to be taken too lightly. If anyone considered doing this to their child they would know that sooner or later it would impact on their immune system and show problems [ not necessarily associated with this drug because of the time frame between intoducing it and symptoms] in year to come. ]

Also remember sheep ivermectin comes in 2 types of med injectable and oral and with the oral one is a double strength so be careful and check with your vet .

Can you please point me dogbesotted to where you got the dose from? As that was the dose I gave my dogs and was given to me by someone that was given the dose by their vet, my dogs were still alive the next day and are still around by the way and the friends having been running around on that dose for nearly two years :cheer: Will double check the dose and post back

As far as giving drugs that 'bubble' away for a month, would much prefer that over my dogs getting heartworm or bad case of intestinal worms, have seen dogs DIE from both.

Have no problems even doing daily and have been doing so for nearly 3 years.

I also have no problem using Advantix, which is a monthly 'bubbler' rather then having my dogs with 30 ticks a day down their ears and all over their bodies, which is what I was getting when I used weekly tick washes adn even on the Fidos, they, along with Frontline were totally useless, at least with these other monthly meds we can help prevent the diseases that the parasites will give our dogs

Edited by holly

Point is there are alternatives and the reason that its illegal to advise people these things is because all dogs are not the same and all ivermectin isnt either .

You may have seen dogs die from heartworm and intestinal worms but Ive seen them die from ivermectin as well. I have also seen dogs affected by this in their breeding capacities.

Holly said

Doing what daily?

from another vet it is

1ml/4kg, my dose would an underdose if compared to this dose, am waiting on word from someone I trust for their opinion

Doing what daily?

Oh, sorry forgot the rule, have been using daily tablets for 3 years, only have recently changed to Ivomec, hope that helps :cheer:

Edited by holly

Hi Holly

Yes, as Steve has pointed out it does ear mites and mites in the coat (sorry the name has gone astray).

The doses we were reccomended:

1/2 ml per 1 kilo weight of the dog, once a week, for coat mites

1/2 ml per 1 kilo weight of the dog, once a month, as an all wormer

I'm not saying give this to your beasties, it's just what info we have.

from my local vet. I I have gone back to the bottle with directions on it. and it says 1ml per 15kg. Ivomec .8g/L

just spoken with a vet and the rate advised for heartworm is 0.0075ml per kg. but there is a wide safety margin for non invermectin sensitive dogs. ie for demodex the dose rate is 80 times greater given daily.

does this make sense.