Kennel Cough

periau

Hi guys

Unfortunately my dogs have contracted Kennel Cough.

I was wondering if they HAVE to go to the vet? Someone i was talking to suggested Benadryl?

I thought they needed antibiotics?

Thoughts please?

:(

ETA: What should i be feeding them? They mainly eat dry food and bones- all of which i thought would aggrevate their throats?

Edited by periau

Dogs do not need to go to the vet for kennel cough, it is a virus and they should recover on their own, but it does take about 3 weeks.

That said... there is a danger of them developing a secondary bacterial infection that would need to be treated by antibiotics. As long as they are generally ok, still eating and drinking, and the cough is a dry cough, they should be ok. If they seem to be very ill or the cough becomes wet sounding, get them to the vet ASAP.

Dogs do not need to go to the vet for kennel cough, it is a virus and they should recover on their own, but it does take about 3 weeks.

That said... there is a danger of them developing a secondary bacterial infection that would need to be treated by antibiotics. As long as they are generally ok, still eating and drinking, and the cough is a dry cough, they should be ok. If they seem to be very ill or the cough becomes wet sounding, get them to the vet ASAP.

Hi Daisy

Thanks for that- is it 3 weeks from the onset of the cough they should be isolated?

It is a dry cough- but one of them is spitting up water when they cough- after they have had a drink.

Our dog had kennel cough after staying in boarding kennels. As it's a virus, easy to catch in that environment.

Any sign of things worsening and I'd be off to the vet. We're probably not qualified to diagnose a a secondary bacterial infection :( . Antibiotics don't kill viruses, so it's not first line treatment, but may be prescribed if vet suspects secondary bacterial infection. Best wishes to your pooch.

Taco got kennell cough the day after we got home as he came from the pound. Took him to my vet and he was prescribed antibiotic tablets and I was told not to let him near other dogs for 2-3 weeks as it is very contagious. :scared:

He was better within 5 days but still kept him at home for about 2 weeks and would walk him when I knew hardly any dogs would be out and wouldn't not let him near anyone elses dogs. :rofl:

Cough mixture hey.... learn an new thing evryday and I have a bottle at home. SWEET!!!! :(

Can I ask a silly question..........and appoligize for hijacking your thread Peri......but can dogs still catch KC if they are vaccinated, with C5 that covers KC? Not having any experiance with KC but I do attend obediance and the occasional show.

Edited by gracesmum

KC is a virus like the flu, and it constantly mutates, so yes even if dogs are vaccinated they can catch one of the 'new' strains. My girl is vaccintaed and still caught KC when boarding for 4 days at Christmas.

Can I ask a silly question..........and appoligize for hijacking your thread Peri......but can dogs still catch KC if they are vaccinated, with C5 that covers KC? Not having any experiance with KC but I do attend obediance and the occasional show.

Yes they can still get KC when they have been vaccinated with C5. Mine came down with it and they have always been vaccinated with C5. They did get a milder dose of KC though.

Thanks for that everyone........Something else to be paranoid about :D says she that will now attend obediance with a can of glen20 to spray around the other dogs :eek: .........no seriously what are the symptoms, coughing, a hacking dry cough or a chesty cough? Do the dogs get a temp? Do they go off there food etc? Thanks for youur patiance in explaining this to me as I have never seen it before. :D