Agility Jumps & Weavers

Yesterday we made two agility jumps. Worked out quite well. The sides are PVC pipe that I can pull apart and change the lengths ect depending on the dog jumping and exercise. Spencer's loving it so far and i'm sure Maddy will too when she's old enough to test them out. It's all made of PVC piping, with electrical, coloured tape to colour the bars. :vomit:

krkr065.jpg

krkr058.jpg

krkr066.jpg

krkr157.jpg

We also made some weavers. We got 3 broom handles and put them in the ground. It's working for now as the dogs still don't get the concept of weaving. So it's safe for them.

krkr164.jpg

Going to start saving for a tunnel next. :)

Sandra

Thanks SD :rofl:

Marica- We planned them ourselves. And were quite easy to make. Each jump cost us about $25 - $30. Including the spare bar. We could of made it cheaper but being me i wanted to spiff it up a little :rainbowbridge:

I'm writing down how we did it soon for someone else so ill send you a copy if you like :rofl: It took us about 2 hours to plan and make them..

Marica- We planned them ourselves. And were quite easy to make. Each jump cost us about $25 - $30. Including the spare bar. We could of made it cheaper but being me i wanted to spiff it up a little :rofl:

I'm writing down how we did it soon for someone else so ill send you a copy if you like :rofl: It took us about 2 hours to plan and make them..

Hi Sandra,

Wow that's cheap!! My OH is an electritian and I shoved your pics under his nose last night. He was 'gunna' make me some jumps last year and it never happened. :rainbowbridge: We worked out that using electrical conduit and the joiners it would cost us about $70 a jump. Where did you get your conduit and joiners? He's not going to get out of it this time.

Edited to add: It's okay, I just figured out that it's PVC tubing and fittings. Much cheaper than electrical conduit and fittings. Now he's definitly not getting out of helping me make some this weekend. Jumps and weave poles here we come!!!!

Edited by bloss344

wow looks great. I am thinking of getting into Agility or activity of some sort with my next dog which we are leaning toward being a kelpie. There is a club near where we are that does all this. I've owned a Kelpie before, we both love them as a breed but at the end of the day it's me that is left to excercise. I wondered if Agility or other similar events would be a good way to help fulfil an active dogs need to work. How do you get into it? Start with basic obedience training then once you are at a certain level branch off into beginner Agility classes? Is this the type of thing you can do with a mature dog or more starting them from a younger age?

Edited by Burlof

Thanks mersonmalinois. I'll have a look. I'm planning on making a whole set of equipment :o

If you want a copy Marica, just pm me your email address. I'll try and put together a paper on how we did it.

Bloss, tell you OH that all you'll need him for is to cut the PVC. You can do the rest. I got my dad to cut the 'T's for me and the piping. I put it all together.

Thanks Staff n toller. I'll have a look. I just got a job so thats something to look at :banghead:

Yep Boxa, I'll be there. Been training all week. But last week we had a different instructor and she taught us a lot of different things to what we usually do?!? We were all a lil confused. All well..

Burlof- What state are you in? Congrats on your new dog when you get one! For agility, its best to wait till the dog is atleast 12 months, if not more for the pups bones to fully grow. Once they're fully grown, you can get into it. While your waiting for the dog to mature get out there and do some obedience. :banghead: It's great for agility, especially recall and stay. And to have the dog focused on you not everything else. You can always get a rescue dog which you can start off with.

Thanks guys

Sandra :banghead:

Hi Sandra, I'm in Victoria. Berwick Obedience Club would be a close one. I am interested in a rescue dog moreso than a puppy, I just have some concerns. I normally have rescue animals but I'm wondering if this is one time (having a 4yo daughter) when I should get a puppy. Not to please her of course but I know our last dog who was a rescue at 9 months of age had been terribly mistreated and it took years and years for him to trust us and for me to trust him because he used to snap me. That would be very difficult if you had a child in the house, we didn't have kids back then and it was hard work! Personally I could do without the puppy and would prefer a dog that is grown but I know how much their history can effect who they are. Sad, they are the type of dogs I like to help.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep she can jump the last height, but I very rarely get her to, incase it injures her joints.

BTW: I don't usually get her to jump on the concrete :rofl: just set it up there to take the photos, and i only let her jump the low height on the concrete :rofl:

Few more pics. The lighting was crap so exuse the poor quality...

02.jpg

b9410c1c.jpg

(The computer is deciding to sleap. Will edit this with the other pics once it's decided to work..)

For more pics go to www.freewebs.com/sandrasm

They're not that great..

Edited by !Sandra!