Plucking Ears

My girl has yeasty ears that are really bad - we're doing various courses of treatment, but one thing I was told is that do NOT use any other ear cleaner with the surolan. It has to be used on its own (I had to do twice a day for 10 - 15 days).

Now we use Leo 2 - 3 times a week. I also pluck her ears every night - she doesn't like it so I just do it a little at a time and they stay clear always. She rarely rubs her ears anymore and there's not much smell - I have to stick my nose in her ear and really sniff to smell it. I'm hoping one day it will be completely clear!

Here's the thread I posted asking for advice - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=54814&hl=

Warley:

I'll run and hide now, before the die-hard poodle fans catch up with me

Too late Warley - we know where to find you! ;)

I think a poodle's clip has to reflect its personality. My Big Ted is a cool sporty boy so he has "sporting clip". He has shaved FFT, ears and full tail. Its a great clip for a more active dog!

post-1954-1144881255_thumb.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

I have no idea how active Chomsky is going to be, but if puppyhood zoomies

(labelled "idiot sprints" by my OH!) are anything to go by, we may well have to consider something a little more "sporty" that includes a full face.

Edited by Natashja

Ted is just way :laugh:. Lots of personality in his face.

Natashja, check out poodlefan's other posts for more photos of her dogs- IMHO they're clipped really nicely, not at all OTT.

I'd still like to try to convince you- no pom poms in sight-

The 'puppy trim' in the showring.. post-6819-1144931490_thumb.jpg

Pups with shaved faces.. post-6819-1144931569_thumb.jpg post-6819-1144931685_thumb.jpg

Oscar (my dog) in the lesser-known 'shaggy bad home clip with shaved FFT trim': post-6819-1144931771.jpg

Oscar's 5 and still does zoomies...

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I am constantly amazed at the number of new poodle puppy owners who come to me for grooming, and when I discuss their grooming needs, say "Whatever you do, I don't want him to look like a poodle"......................I have heard this so many times over my 30 years as a groomer.

Trish

Call me a traditionalist but the poodle should have its face shaved - or at the least left with a moustach. That is what makes a poodle a poodle. They have a beautiful face with such elegance to leave it hairy and unkept is awful. Maybe a bishon would have suited you better for the full face look.

As PF knows I have several poodles all sporting a variety of trims from the traditional lion trim for the show ring to a flat top and shaved ears. They all have a different do but none have a full face. I leave that for the bishons....

As for ears, I have a couple of poodles that have double coated ears. Which is to say they are as hairy on the underside as they are the front. It is quite difficult to see the ear canal. I usually shave the inside of the ear with a 30 blade to remove all excess hair and then gently tease out the hair in the canal a little at a time. The trick is little and often as it is no different to pulling out hair from your own head or legs etc. It hurts!!

Edited by JAG

Guys, truly gorgeous photos. Thanks so much for posting.

As for Chomsky:

Shaved feet? Definitely.

Shaved base of tail? Yes.

Shaved face? Not a hope in hell. Ever. Apologies to the traditionalists, but to OH and I feel that it just looks awful! We WANT a shaggy face, even if it means more work ;)

In other news, Chomsky went to the vet on Thursday for his second vaccination and check up. Vet did a couple of swabs of the ears and it looks like the fungal infection is completely clear. Such a relief, though still waiting on his second teste to descend. I'm told this is common in Poodles?

Natashja you may change your mind when your boy grows up and starts doing his own personal grooming. :) Nothing like having that pee smell all over that cute little fluffy face that comes up and gives you a doggy kiss. ;)

As for his teste it is not just a poodle thing or more common in poodles. It happens in every breed and can happen at any time. Some say it is a gene carried by the bitch others by the dog... Unless you are intending on keeping him entire then it really shouldn't be of a concern to you. The worst part is if the vet can't find it and he has to go hunting during surgery for it - that can then cost you more. If left unattended it may turn cancerous.

Pee smell on the face? Surely that happens whether the face is shaved or not? (I used to regularly look after a male Staffy who had the worst case of "pee face" EVER)

We plan on desexing Chomsky. The vet has recommended that we wait until 6 months of age to see if the teste descends; if not, the operation will be a little more complicated and expensive. So here's hoping our boy's ball drops!

Have attached a few photos for you that were taken today.

post-9488-1145091495_thumb.jpg

post-9488-1145091581_thumb.jpg

post-9488-1145091898_thumb.jpg

Edited by Natashja

:) Natashja, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Jag, your photo is lovely- I really like the look. I'd never thought to try a flat-top. I've only started to clip Oscar recently and took his 'ears off' today to try for a change. His rounded head didn't look right. Am hoping to improve wtih practice and experimenting. I'd post a photo, but I'm at work. ;) Also embarassing.

I'd love to see how others clip their poodles ....Any more photos, please?

Thanks PW. Zip has been in the Marines since he left the show ring. :laugh: His son also joined as it seemed to suit him as well. If you have the rounded top knot trim it in a bit closer to hs head. Don't leave it so full. May make him look a bit more balanced. I will dig some other photos up and start a new thread. Sorry to hijack Natashja.

Hi Poodle Wrangler.

Imagine my suprise to flip through this thread and find a picture of my ex-puppy Lilli! Yes, the gorgeous girl with the gorgeous white friend. Of course, the perfect long coat on the friend quickly disappeared once someone started dragging him around by the hair. Lillli is now a gorgeous big girl with a fabulous clip and a rhinestone collar.

Does ear hair plucking hurt?? I hav e two shih tzu crosses and one is OK with it and the other hates it. I also use leo ear cleaner (but I hate the smell of it actually). I've had them for two years now & haven't had any problems with ear infections.

I trim a poodle where the owners like a fluffy face. It is now done to look like a poodle that has had the face clipped about 6-8 weeks earlier! This means you can take it short underneath the ears to allow air in and the dog still looks like a poodle rarther then a funny coloured bichon.

Apologies Curly for posting what's really 'your' photo. There's a file on our computer "dogs" with pics off the internet of dogs that we really like, but I've got no idea where most of the pics are from originally. I thought your Lilli was a lovely example of a pup with a shaved face to try to persuade Natashja it was a good look & for people to see. It's a cute photo, too. Cheeky girl!