Today Tonight - Story On "fresh" Pet Mince

I order Bob's meat without preservative. It was actually one of the pet shop staff that suggested it as he was showing signs of allergy at about 4 months old, and I was at my wits end at trying to find a food for him. Now when I order it I always mention that he's extremely allergic just in case they don't bother to order me the 'free' stuff. One staff member told me it really wasn't a problem as it was the same stuff that's on our food that we don't know about... that' makes it okay I guess Yeah Right.

Fresh Pet food producers can supply preserative free roo. The roo must be frozen to store for extented period.

We have had a good range of preserative free Roo ,Beef and Chicken products for around 6 months.

There are a lot of vets suggesting preserative free meats for skin amongst other problems.

All of the products tested were" long life fresh products" .

The program failed to mention preserative 223 ( Sodium metabisulphate)which is much harsher and is also commonly used in vacuum packageds products.

• 5 weeks later...
They listed the pet foods that contain sulphur dioxide:

Pet food containing sulphur dioxide

Today Tonight found that 400 miligrams of sulphur dioxide destroyed 55 per cent of the thiamine in the food, while 1000 miligrams destroyed 95 per cent.

Brands of pet food which were found to contain sulphur dioxide include:

Variety of pet food Level of sulphur dioxide (mg) per kg:

Home Brand Chunky Pilchards Cat Food Less than 10mg

Pro-Peak 100 per cent Natural 14mg

Petz Food Company First Choice 18mg

VIP Petz Food Beef and Lamb with Vegetables 29mg

Petz Food Company Puffy Roll 33mg

Ark Seafood Platter 45mg

VIP Petz Food Catz Chicken Alfresco 119mg

Paringa Pet Dinners Minced Roo 356mg

Paringa Pet Dinners Cats Delight 453mg

VIP Pet Foods Bulk Pet Mince 640mg

Ark Cat Mince Adult 714mg

VIP Pet Foods Gourmet Catz 738mg

Paringa Pet Dinners Diced Lamb 1056mg

the VIP brand foods seem to have some very high levels of S02 !!!

if i bought their products in the past, i don't think that i would trust them again....

it seems wrong to not list the fact that you are adding a preservative, especially if it has known health issues when used in a large amount....

Edited by larry

hi

if you serched hard enough you would find many chemicals on all the food you eat, the food your pets eat and even food wild animals eat, it is apart of life.

whill the levals are high in pet foods i wonder how high they are in our own food, how much under the table payments happen to get things through.

how do you think they manage to keep the vegitabls "fresh" whill in storage? they use chemicals, it is every whear.

lillysmum........ in deed the best stake has been hung for a whill. well done on being a vegetarian i couldn't do it.

For those who wish to check for the presence of SD in food write to the following:

Food Intolerance Network

P.O. Box 718

Woolgoolga NSW 2456

Include 2 x 50 cent stamps for each test strip you want.

Include a self stamped addressed envelope.

I'm sending off for 5 x strips (ie 10 x 50c stamps). Just to check. :o

Edited by Erny

We sell pet mince where I work. It's JUST minced up chicken leg bones, nothing else.

Hard to say just how much crap the chicken has had though before they were plucked and drained......

I feed my 2 chicken mince (usually from breast). I dont feed them much red meat because one of them tends to throw up after having too much....

lillysmum........ in deed the best stake has been hung for a whill. well done on being a vegetarian i couldn't do it.

I can't imagine returning to meat-eating, to be honest. Just walking past the meat section in the supermarket is quite challenging LOL. :D I don't really like the smell of meat, raw or cooked.

Since shunning meat, I feel so much healthier. But I also quit smoking around the same time and started exercising too. It's a combination of those factors at work, I'm sure. :o

I've had periods of vegetarianism and periods of meat-eating. But I know now that vegetarianism is the right thing for me. And eventually I'll transform my diet to that of the vegan - no animal products at all. No dairy (I don't use cow's milk anyway but I do still use cheese and yoghurt), no eggs, no honey. I already shun leather products as much as possible b/c I don't like the thought of wearing a dead animal's skin - that's a bit creepy to me! :D What we eat is a very personal choice, as is what we wear. While I choose to minimise my reliance on animal products, I have no problem with others making different choices. :hug: