Today Tonight - Story On "fresh" Pet Mince

Just was called by son to see this go to air. This is causing problems for dogs as it destroys the Thiamine in their food, it seems.

Story of very expesive problemsa in dogs from too much of this stuff. Details will be on theor web site.

:laugh:

Sulphur dioxide is used in human foods too, its a common preservative... Check out things like hams next time you buy one.

Dan

But at that same high level as the TV suggested?????

I have always only fed human grade mince. I tried the pet stuff once and it made them sick. I assumed it was becuase the roo mince that it was mixed with was too strong for them so I went straight back to human grade mince as I assume this would be safer??

But at that same high level as the TV suggested?????

I know its at quite high levels in things like hams... Can't say for sure as I a) didn't actually see the show, so I don't know what they were suggesting and b) am not sure what the exact level it is used at in people food.

I do know, however, that I would take anything on a senstionalist program like Today Tonight with a grain of salt! :laugh: I also know that there are a lot of study / health groups etc. that say it is a concern that it is used in people food and causes various health problems.

Cheers,

Dan

ZA

I know its at quite high levels in things like hams... Can't say for sure as I a) didn't actually see the show, so I don't know what they were suggesting and b) am not sure what the exact level it is used at in people food.

I do know, however, that I would take anything on a senstionalist program like Today Tonight with a grain of salt! :laugh: I also know that there are a lot of study / health groups etc. that say it is a concern that it is used in people food and causes various health problems.

The problem arises from a Thiamine deficiency for the animal exclusively fed on "fresh" pet grade roo, beef or fish mince that has a high level of the Sulphur Dioxide (as preservative) in it. A dog with a varied diet would not develop the deficiency.

Some people do feed their dogs on the Kangaroo mince, thinking that fresh lean meat is the best for their dogs, so it is quite likely that a number of animals could be suffering from the deficieny.

Link to story here

Food for human consumption is required to have the amounts of such preservatives on the labels, unfortunately fresh pet is not by law required to display the quanities of preservatives, and in some instances this is testing as being in very high amounts.

Hmmm - I buy minced chicken from my local "pet food deli" which comes frozen. This is a privately run "butcher" for dogs - I wonder whether their food contains the preservatives? I must say that everything I've ever bought from there has seemed really good, be it the beef mince or the chicken mince or the RMBs - they even have T-bones for dogs :laugh: . Most is frozen when you purchase it.

They listed the pet foods that contain sulphur dioxide:

Pet food containing sulphur dioxide

Today Tonight found that 400 miligrams of sulphur dioxide destroyed 55 per cent of the thiamine in the food, while 1000 miligrams destroyed 95 per cent.

Brands of pet food which were found to contain sulphur dioxide include:

Variety of pet food Level of sulphur dioxide (mg) per kg:

Home Brand Chunky Pilchards Cat Food Less than 10mg

Pro-Peak 100 per cent Natural 14mg

Petz Food Company First Choice 18mg

VIP Petz Food Beef and Lamb with Vegetables 29mg

Petz Food Company Puffy Roll 33mg

Ark Seafood Platter 45mg

VIP Petz Food Catz Chicken Alfresco 119mg

Paringa Pet Dinners Minced Roo 356mg

Paringa Pet Dinners Cats Delight 453mg

VIP Pet Foods Bulk Pet Mince 640mg

Ark Cat Mince Adult 714mg

VIP Pet Foods Gourmet Catz 738mg

Paringa Pet Dinners Diced Lamb 1056mg

The problem arises from a Thiamine deficiency for the animal exclusively fed on "fresh" pet grade roo, beef or fish mince that has a high level of the Sulphur Dioxide (as preservative) in it. A dog with a varied diet would not develop the deficiency.

Thanks... so those meats specifically or is it that they are the most common red meats fed?

Dan

Zayda do you know how much sulphur dioxide is contained in human grade meat? It doesnt have the shelf life of pet grade meat so I'm thinking there'd be a hell of a lot less. I know butchers do use it to keep meat looking red and prevent it from smelling rank too quickly.

Edited by raz

Zayda do you know how much sulphur dioxide is contained in human grade meat? It doesnt have the shelf life of pet grade meat so I'm thinking there'd be a hell of a lot less. I know butchers do use it to keep meat looking red and prevent it from smelling rank too quickly.

Well, I'm vegetarian so its not something I have looked into to solidly recently :thumbsup: Nope, I think y'all are right, it would be less than in pet mince... But it has been linked to some nasty things in people too, like cancer.

Dan

I just asked the butcher and he said no SD in human grade meat. Excuse me while I say Bllsht. I'm not concerned about the chemicals I consume, Dan, just what the dogs are getting. Thanks a stack for all the info you gave me months ago on raw food only. It has helped a treat :thumbsup: The sulphur is still a concern though.

I just asked the butcher and he said no SD in human grade meat. Excuse me while I say Bllsht. I'm not concerned about the chemicals I consume, Dan, just what the dogs are getting. Thanks a stack for all the info you gave me months ago on raw food only. It has helped a treat :thumbsup: The sulphur is still a concern though.

Maybe not in his (although I wouldn't lay a bet), but its certainly used in human grade!! Its also used as a preservative in a lot of cheap dried fruits too... not sure what else. I'm going to research this more, I've been meaning to for ages... In fact I'm trying to cut down the chemicals and crap in my house full stop. Hard work: chemicals and preservatives in everything!! But Asher is hugely sensitive and so am I to some stuff for that matter and I'm starting to think some of the things he has reactions to may be triggering things in me too... I use a mix of human grade and good quality pet meats for the furry ones.

Glad to hear the info helped out, pleasure to help :shrug: Hope those wee tackers of yours are doing well!

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

But Asher is hugely sensitive and so am I to some stuff for that matter and I'm starting to think some of the things he has reactions to may be triggering things in me too... Dan

Interesting. As you know Pokemon and Fabs are very sensitive and I react badly at the same times of year that they do. Physiological or psychological? I dont know. We eat the same stuff.

meat for humans from a butcher is usually safer than supermarket meat. I have an allergy to sulphur and avoid supermarket meat if i can as the levels bring out an allergic reaction in me, particularly from sausages and mince.

I don't buy fresh pet meat because the long useby dates disturb me. I buy human grade meat for them when they get fresh meat because of the preservatives in petmeat.

Sulpher Dioxide and other preservitives used to be used also in reasonably high qualities in human grade mince and some other cuts of meat to keep that nice "red" look longer.

I remember there was an expose on it and I believe that some laws have been changed banning this practice.. but still I dunno if all have stopped it completely

Interesting. As you know Pokemon and Fabs are very sensitive and I react badly at the same times of year that they do. Physiological or psychological? I dont know. We eat the same stuff.

With me and the boy it is the chemical stuff like cleaners etc. and I've just found out some of the ones he is bad with cause symptoms in people similar to what I have... I am experimenting and we will see...

We all do bad in the hayfever season - this year you could come over and see us all sneezing together!! :(

Dan

I order Bob's meat without preservative. It was actually one of the pet shop staff that suggested it as he was showing signs of allergy at about 4 months old, and I was at my wits end at trying to find a food for him. Now when I order it I always mention that he's extremely allergic just in case they don't bother to order me the 'free' stuff. One staff member told me it really wasn't a problem as it was the same stuff that's on our food that we don't know about... that' makes it okay I guess Yeah Right.

Hopefully, now that TNT has had this segment, people will become more aware of what is in their pet food and either stop buying it or at least ask questions. I guess we'll never really know what's in pet food, but it's a start.

There are *some* butchers who don't use SD as a preservative, but by and large, it's in human foods as much as pet foods. Do you really think meat that was killed two weeks ago still has that "nice red colour" naturally? :cry: Don't you think it would have started to go rotten? ;)

Of course, human grade meat products have SD in them...otherwise, the meat in your butcher shop would be rotten and stinking and they wouldn't have a customer in sight - unless you are based in a town where there is a slaughterhouse, you will likely find SD and many other preservatives in your meat products. SD is widely used b/c it's cheap and readily available.

As if I needed *another* reason to be vegetarian. :(

Coming from a family who have been in the Butcher and Cattle industry for over 30 years , SD is often used as a preservative in mince , sausages etc , rarely should a butcher have a need to use it on plain meat/chops etc , if they are then shop elsewhere.

lillysmum , meat by the time you buy it is actually quite old , the longer it hangs the more it matures and tender it gets.

Meat that was killed 2 weeks ago and still hanging in the cool room will most certainly be nice and red and fresh and frankly the best you can buy.