Hydrobaths....

After bathing 3 pointers in the bathtub yesterday and pulling a muscle in my back, I think it is time to look at getting a hydrobath.

What makes a good one? What do you like/ dislike about yours?

The ones with a heater, does it heat the water or do you put hot water in and it just keeps it warm?

Which is more efficient, one tank or two?

Would really appreciate your input!!! :laugh:

I have a Conmurra Twin tank, which means you can put shampoo in one tank and rinse water in the other. You have to heat one tank at a time which takes about 5 minutes each depending on what temperature you want, but to save time I throw in a bucket of hot water.

Only regret is that its not autofill but then I have a mobile service so cant have that.

Sometimes when not on a completely flat surface the water can run from one tank to the other which is a bugbear.

Had a quicl look at the Conmurra website. Looks good, bit didn't really tell me all that I need to know.

Does it have to be permanently plumbed or can you just attach it to a tap like a hose?

Really think I am going to have to go with the double tank. Would be a real pain with three dogs: shampooing them all, emptying the tank, refilling to rinse...

I have an autofill and it just attaches to a hose.........I find that the autofill is better than the twin tank because when Im washing my dog I use the same washing water ( in one tank) and always have clean rinsing water for each dog, OH made me a trolley so that I could wheel it to where I wanted to wash the dogs then wheel it away in the shed when Im finished. :thumbsup:

I have a Conmurra Twin tank, which means you can put shampoo in one tank and rinse water in the other. You have to heat one tank at a time which takes about 5 minutes each depending on what temperature you want, but to save time I throw in a bucket of hot water.

Only regret is that its not autofill but then I have a mobile service so cant have that.

Sometimes when not on a completely flat surface the water can run from one tank to the other which is a bugbear.

I used to own a mobile service and used an autofill with no probs.

I also have the Conmurra twin tank (autofill). From memory it is about $1650. At the moment it is set up in my garden shed so I can wash dogs rain, hail or shine. I've modified the connections a little so that it can all be "packed" away nicely for in between wash days. It doesnt have to permanently plumbed, I just attach the garden hose to the back of my bath when I'm ready. I would definitely go the auto fill Trina, with the three large dogs. It's so nice to wash my three without having to move from the tub fiddling with taps. The bath is on the other end of the garden to where the hose is kept. I have also made a pipe type of hose extension so that the dirty water drains away from my work area and goes on the lawn. This rolls up in between baths. Happy to take photos if you need a clearer picture :thumbsup:

My hydrobath is a Conmurra single tank heated design. It is not autofill. I just throw the hose into it to fill it as I use one tank/2 dogs (providing they have not been in the dam.. then one tank a dog) as we are on tank water at home and so have to look at what water we use. Generally speaking I can bath two Borders in one tank of water as my tank is I think around 22 litres. I have bought a 25 mm hose which I have fixed to the outlet pipe which lets the water run off some distance from the tank.

I have not found too much trouble with the single tank. I bath in something like Fidos free itch shampoo which is great for hydrobaths as you do not have to wash it off. That would be my only comment, you have to watch what shampoos you use in a single tank. But the fidos is great as it also does fleas, and I found a regular bath controls whatever fleas I have around home.

You would want one that has one side cut down to lean over the bath with. I have used the ones which do not have the slight cut down on one side and it still kills the back by the end of three dogs. Especially if they are on the smaller side.

The heaters are great, but they take up to 15 minutes to heat the water. In Winter, I just throw a bucket of hot water in the tank then add the cold.. Rather than wait for the tank element to heat the whole tank.

This is the bath inside the shed (s'cuse mess)

159-5971_IMG.jpg

I hope this makes sense Trina.

At the back of the shed, I cut little holes to fit the fittings through

159-5972_IMG.jpg

Close up of fittings

159-5975_IMG.jpg

159-5976_IMG.jpg

One fitting has s short amount of hose with a hose connector on the end, which is what I connect my garden hose to. you can see the connection in the second pic I posted. The other hose is the overflow which doesn't ever do much. I had exactly the same fittings on my trailer. So it's easy..... I just unravel the garden hose when I want to fill up the bath and connect it the the hose connector which is coming out from the back of the bath/shed on a bit of hose.

Then this sticks out the side of the bath, and it is where the dirty water comes out. I also have another small piece of the shed cut out with some pipe feeding that through.

159-5977_IMG.jpg

Then on the other side of the shed, I have some soft pipe stuff (which I can roll up) which stretches out on to the lawn so the dirty water drains out on to there. I was initially worried about killing the grass with the shampoos, tick rinses etc.... but my grass is more lush there than anywhere else.

This pic isnt very clear, but it shows the garden hose coming in to the back of the shed to connect to the bath, and the pipe leading out from the shed to let the dirty water out.

159-5974_IMG.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Dru

I think ive got the same as Dru - a conmurra twin tank autofill.

Its excellent and I can highly recommend it.

I have my stationed in my washing shed at the moment, but before that it was outside on wheels and i just connected up the hose and power when i wanted to use it - and all the dirty water drained onto the grass.

Now in the shed my set up is simalar to Dru's except I have a tap in the shed which is connected up to the water tank - just saves dragging the hose over.

Edited by wagsalot

When I bought mine, Conmurra also makes a trolly to go with it. Of course you maybe able to make a trolley if you have a handy man handy.... Well I do.. but not very handy TO ME.. "Bloody Dogs" :thumbsup:

Twin tank would have been great.... or at least autofill.... although a friend has a mobile hydrobath. and the second tank is actually separate from the hydrobath itself. It has a pipe cut into it which has a leaver to fill the tank, while the "storage" tank is autofill. Can probably make that myself with a float valve from one of the horse's trough.

Dru and Wagsalot

This then autofill, cant do that with mine.

Just use the garden hose, my twin tank has the removable plate at the back of the bath, rather than on the side.

Still havent worked out how to do a re-size of photos but if any one is more literate than me and can give some advice on downsizing will post a photo of my set up.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas and set-ups.

Sorry I have been so slack in responding, been unwell.

We are going to Brisbane soon, so am hoping to do some looking around and research then.

Please keep your thought coming, I really appreciate it!!!

We are going to Brisbane soon, ...

Pointers, seeing you are off to Brisbane, worth looking at the Fidos webpage - www.fidos.com - My hydro is Fidos and has "twin-tub", auto-fill, heater. Used it for dog-wash busines but now only use it for my own dogs. They also make the Fidos shampoos, and their hydrobath comes with a good supply of the full range. We also put a flexi-shower above it, with hot/cold water mixer, so can give an extra final rinse if useful, depending on conditioner used: it's also handy for a first wash-off if a dog is really muddy, or to be able to fill the tanks with warm water if you don't have time to wait for the heater. Not necessary, but a nice additional luxury/time-saver now and then. (You get a colour choice too for a few dollars more: I went for the black and red as a change from blue-green algae colours, to brighten up the salon).

Dru that is a really great tip on channelling waste water to good use: I wouldn't put water to the ground that has anything like a flea-control in it because it poisons worms/grubs which can then kill birds. But it will be very easy to put a switch-tap in the outfall pipe so that it spills "mostly" to the garden, and just switch to waste-pipes when bad chemicals (like spa cleaner etc) would be in the pipes.

Edited by PossumCorner

I usually wash with Fido's or Aloveen (if their skin is playing up) and Plush Puppy for shows (mainly because I am not game enough to try anything different). I know there are some shampoos that you can use in the hydrobath without having to rinse them (or so I have been told). Does anyone know which ones they would be and also which shampoos in general are good to use in the hydro.

Basically any dog shampoo is ok to use in the hydrobath, but 90% have to be rinsed out including of course Aloveen, a good one is also Squirt but again it has to be rinsed out.

Fido's are one of the only ones I've come across that dont have to be rinsed out.

Another is Vetadine, an iodine based shampoo which is for non specific skin conditions and can be left in. Used to do a border collie x in it and his coat always looked great after his bath.