Can Anyone Recommend Good Quality Kibble?

wolf82

Out of the readily available top of the range kibbles....RC, Proplan and Nutrience are the only ones that don't use By-Products. Not sure if that will help you with your decision. I'm pretty sure EP doesn't use By-Products but i haven't read the back of a bag recently...lol - but EP isn't exactly readily available in my area either.

Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula also does not use by-products...and as the name implies, all the ingredients are organic in source and content. It's a very good (super premium) kibble and reasonably priced at around $23 per 2.2 kg bag. You can buy it in bigger bags if you feed a kibble diet but I don't...I only give my toy-sized dog a small handful of kibble for breakfast and occasionally, they all get a small handful in a treat ball. :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough :laugh: They don't generally stock it in Brissie that i know of and as it is there are only two places i know who stock EP on their shelves rather then having to order it for people. Most places i know won't stock EP due to that it doesn't move very fast and often comes to the end of the useby date before it gets sold.

3. Premium brands - Iams/Euk, HSD, Nutrience, Royal Canin - as some examples. Usually sold at vet surgeries as well as pet food stores. Often 'recommended' by vets. Contain a higher percentage of animal based foods than categories 1 & 2, but still full of things a dog doesn't need such as fillers.

Could someone please clear this up for me? Isnt RC and Euk super premiums? Im pretty sur they arent just premiums,

I use RC, and it is $120 or so a bag, how could it not be a super premium?

cheers

Could someone please clear this up for me? Isnt RC and Euk super premiums? Im pretty sur they arent just premiums,

I use RC, and it is $120 or so a bag, how could it not be a super premium?

cheers

Yes, you are correct, RC, Euk and Eagle pack are all super premium dog foods

The research I have conducted shows that RC, Eukanuba and Science Diet are classified as premium dog foods and Eagle Pack and Nutro are classified as Super Premium.

It is not necessarily the cost of the food but also the contents.

I did say "readily available" which Dick van Patten's Natural Balance Organic Formula isn't...or at least isn't where i am.

Pretty much impossible to get in Perth! Even Royal Canin etc can be fairly scarce, though it is worth the travel.

Anyway, when I was looking for a good quality kibble, my criteria included no artificial colours and preservatives, no BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin (spelling?!) and no animal byproducts, and with meat preferably first in the list but at least in the first 3 ingredients. I also prefer to use Australian produced food, although my dog's health always comes first! I decided against Innova and California Natural as they are only sold at Pet's Paradise, and I would rather not support pet shops selling live animals.

I settled on Natural Balance (a WA based product, not Dick VP), and plenty of raw bones. They are all happy and healthy dogs and do well on it.

There are heaps of past discussions on this topic on here, you may want to try doing a search as well for these.

Ultimately, it's as KitKat's sig states: The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on! Packaged or Unpackaged!!! :cool:

I jsut changed from Supercoat to RC Maxi Junior.

How long should it be before i notice a difference? Will i notice one? Has anyone had experience switching from SC to RC?

The beast is currently on 4-5 cups a day, according to the bag for his weight and size, he whould be getting 4'3/4 cups a day.

Thoughts?

Fair enough They don't generally stock it in Brissie that i know of and as it is there are only two places i know who stock EP on their shelves rather then having to order it for people. Most places i know won't stock EP due to that it doesn't move very fast and often comes to the end of the useby date before it gets sold.

Interesting comment Kitkit - what a shame as this is such a decent product. We have difficulty keeping it on our shelves as it sells so well!!

Wolf82, you'll notice a real change with RC - and I would suggest feeding less than with SC. Keep in mind that with many premium/super premium foods, the feeding guide is generous. Each dog has a unique metabolism, so monitor weight gain carefully.

Sags

:cool:

Which state are you in Sags? So far i've just been going by what i see and reports from stockists...The slowest seller of the 'normal range' is nutrience...and up here EP sells less then they do...mostly i think because it's just not that well known...they have no reps or promotors up here. I know because the Sydney (i think?) rep offered me a job last time i saw them...lol

Hi Kitkat

We're in Victoria - not far from the airport, if you know Melbourne. I guess it must come down to individual stores and how much they are a) prepared to learn about products, and b) able to spend time with customers, answering questions and talking knowledgeably about product ranges. We carry products that we've successfully used over the years. It's interesting what you say about Nutrience, as again, we currently are out of stock on a couple of lines (coming in today), as it sells so well - particularly once people have a chance to compare it (as well as EP & RC) to what they've been feeding, which often is supermarket. Perhaps it is also because we have a good range of all the products we carry - not many places have 3 stands (for dog alone) of EP or Nutrience.

Take care

Sags

Excellent...mind you i've not seen Nutro in Brissie yet...hence why i hadn't listed it as i've not read the details on the bags etc etc It's always good to know the kibbles that don't use by-products :p

I jsut changed from Supercoat to RC Maxi Junior.

How long should it be before i notice a difference? Will i notice one? Has anyone had experience switching from SC to RC?

The beast is currently on 4-5 cups a day, according to the bag for his weight and size, he whould be getting 4'3/4 cups a day.

Thoughts?

I moticed difference after 1 month. And my guys eat only 3-4 cups instead of 5-6 recommended by their weigth!

EP is definitely not very readily available, i reside in Perth and got my stock from one of the wholesaler(delivery to home) which is gd for convenience sake as well. Originally wanted to try Innova but too bad they din have the large breed puppy in stock...and for which it is sold in pet shops(which is controversial as im not very very against, but rather thought not letting them earn more than they do by pet cruelty etc). EP is gd, thou my puppy doesnt seem to like it as compared to Advance n Proplan. The way i like it, not only of the ingredients, but also becuz of the protein level. Ive got a GR and ive heard it is prolly best to keep dogs on a protein diet of 28% or less, and EP is one of the few which satisfies the nutrient level i wanna keep my puppy to. Proplan, Euk, Adv etc all contains protein level of 28%, and also by-products? Nonetheless, maybe its just me being too paranoid over what my puppy eats. No matter what, i firmly believe that if it does gd to your dog, stick to it! :love:

Oh yeah btw ROyal Canin is definitely one of the gd brands out there as well, with friendly distributors. You can opt for sample pack delivered to your house!