Nsw Rotti Fun Day - Not So Much Fun

I think you'll find that they are banned by the ANKC and as the GSD Club would be governed by the rules of the ANKC then the club could get into trouble for allowing you to train on their grounds with one. The terminology "illegal" is probably wrong though as it infers that it is illegal in your State, not just by the Canine Council.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K9: Most of us know that people are against prong collar through ignorance, myths & appearance...

I would be happy to give a short talk & demo the collars on dogs for any club or organisation at no charge.

I would be happy to advise the instructors who should use them, how & when...Again, free!

(NB: within a reasonable distance or they can come to me)

The RCNSW Committee investigated the matter of prong collars in 2004 and received advice that the importation of the collars is illegal, but having them is not illegal,

It shoudl be noted that they are illegal to import WITHOUT A PERMIT.

K9: Most of us know that people are against prong collar through ignorance, myths & appearance...

I would be happy to give a short talk & demo the collars on dogs for any club or organisation at no charge.

I would be happy to advise the instructors who should use them, how & when...Again, free!

(NB: within a reasonable distance or they can come to me)

Funny you say that :) becouse on the way home form the w/shop Trish and I were discussing that we should invite you to come to our club one day (for a fee) to give a talk to instructors and students.

Ill try to organise when I get back.

to be honest, I didn't mind that the guys who apporached us told us to leave UNLESS we remove the prong collar because is not allow in those grounds we just did want to have have a good time without offending anyone..but when he mentioned RSPCA (togehter with the police)and TAKE AWAY YOUR DOG i just look at Jefe and felt like if someone was trying to take away 1/2 of my hart. We have been living with him for a couple of months and we feel so complete. In a spare second I could see myself having what would be the worst time of mylife visiting Jefe in a council kennel, trying to take him back, knowing that his place is around us, being happy.

Now, we know that we are not welcome everywhere, the only place we wanted to be was HERE in australia, with a special dog...we are already here...jefe is sitting beside us....nothing else matters....

Thank U everyone one for your time, I hope this subject benefits those who like us are in the same situation, we will keep ourself inform, K9 has been a great source of knowledge and no doubts that what we have learned it has been reflected in a dog that is very smart and MI NIÑO GRANDE!

Nosotros (us)

to be honest, I didn't mind that the guys who apporached us told us to leave UNLESS we remove the prong collar because is not allow in those grounds we just did want to have have a good time without offending anyone..but when he mentioned RSPCA (togehter with the police)and TAKE AWAY YOUR DOG i just look at Jefe and felt like if someone was trying to take away 1/2 of my hart. We have been living with him for a couple of months and we feel so complete. In a spare second I could see myself having what would be the worst time of mylife visiting Jefe in a council kennel, trying to take him back, knowing that his place is around us, being happy.

Trust me PEOPLE cant just take your dog!! Warrants and orders are needed proof of cruelty and neglect not just a collar!! illegal or not its the collar they MAY take!! When racehorse owners have battery devices confiscated they dont take the horse too!!

Would I be correct in sayig that we can thank Hugh Werth and his band of merry men for a lot of this prong collars are bad.

It's kinda like blamming a breed for being a problem not the owner, blame the collar not the d*** heads using them.

Thats a lovely offer k9 but I doubt there will many "instructors" who will listen. Most of the ones i have had experience with through *trying* to train ellie (not you!) think that their way is the best way and are scared to learn that it actually isnt. (i guess understandably scared mind you lol) So they go into defensive mode...(damn those negative drives lol!!)

The problem is that, the ones that really need to be educated, are the ones who usually wont be open minded enough to listen or seek out the facts.

Im sorry your rotty fun day was spoilt by such silly remarks....

I cant believe i waited so long to get a prong collar. IF they hurt so bad and are cruel, why is fly jumping out of her skin to get it on and doing excited yips whilst walking in it. I also dont have to issue a correction...if it tightenes, she backs off, thats the end of it.

Good luck with your little rotty boy, i hope you make some real progress with him. :D

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?s=&s...dpost&p=1024114

Just noticed that in the 4th photo from the top, the third person from the left (lady in purple) was the one who started the whole issue with my dog. She was the one who initially aproached us and told us that the prong collar WAS ILEGAL and that "...WE WILL BE IN TROUBLE..."

If any of you know her, please explain to her what a prong collar is and what it does, eventhough she was trying to help all she just did was ruin our day.

By the way, I finaly received confirmation from the RSPCA, reafirming what they initialy told me over the phone: PRONG COLLARS ARE NOT ILEGAL IN NSW.

:laugh: As soon as you said lady in purple, I thought, I wonder....

I was at the Rotti day. I'm familiar with the lady you've indicated. How do I say this?... Unfortunately, she always seems to have something to offer. :D

I just nod, smile and walk away. :)

It's a pity she seems to have had such an effect. I'd like to let her know what effect she has had, but I'm sure I'd get no training done, listening to the barrage.... Avoid!

I believe any collar has the potential to be cruel if used incorrectly - even a flat collar. :D

Hi Rachelle,

my GSD and my *cruel* e-collar would love to meet up with you and Ellie sometime either at a training ground or by ourselves if you want. PM me privately if you like and let's see if we can get our dogs together for some fun and training!

I'm in Brissie...and i have a pinch collar :rolleyes: Most training (especially CCCQ affiliated ones) don't/won't use them. Most of them are pushing halti's lately actually :-S

• 1 month later...

Okay. After trying many, many months to get some kind of response from the Canine Council - I have just received the following (and no more):

The RNSWCC or Dogs NSW as they are now known has recently amended its regulations Part II- Show as follows:

© - Under no circumstances is a dog permitted to wear electric, spike, prong, pinch, or similar collars at any exhibition or at any other event conducted by an affiliate including training sessions.

(d) - An affiliate shall not permit advertising of collars of the type referred to in Regulation 12.4© of this part in any club publication.

My suspicion is that this was already on the cards when the Rotty fun day was on - and the Canine Council person probably meant against Canine Council rules - even though it was no where in the rules at the time.

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to get any sort of official word (not that this helps much), but at least we now know where we stand with any future events, and I'm sure that many Rotty people will be put out by this amendment, as the prong collar is a popular and effective training device when used properly.