Stinky Dog

I'm taking Frodo to see a new vet next week (a Vet that CavNrott PM'd the details to me :( )

but until then I am continuing with the drops I have (they are for skin also, so assuming similar to MALACETIC OTIC but an antibiotic also.

I will have to get a snood :laugh: never heard of those before, hopefully I can get one at the vet, but will try and tie the ears up with a hair tie for now.

I also like the idea of herbal/natural remedies to mantaine good health, but think the problem is beyond natural treatment atm.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, I've learned so much already :rofl:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Princess Bella - according to your first post the ears were only part of the problem - having a poodle with allergies can I suggest that the dogs anal glands may be very smelly and productive ( have a friend with mini poodle - his glands are coming out as he is so stinky). Once I controlled my dogs food allergies - the glands returned to a normal production and rarely need to be expressed. Skin biopsy may have been for SA - a horrible skin condition in poodles (yours is a cross isn't it?). I would not use a snood on a dog with ear problems - shave the ears and get as much air in as possible.

A bit of an update :D I took Frodo to see a groomer today which someone PM'd the details of to me. She is sooo lovely and thorough and a member at these forums :rofl:

He looks so cute and clean and smells lovely!

I had the lady from clipperworld contact me about the clippers I mentioned earlier, and she was so helpfull and even posted me out a bottle of Grimenatore, which the groomer used before washing him with Malaseb. His ear hairs have been cut back and his feet are shaved, so the malaseb will work better on his paws now. He is still licking them occasionaly, but nowhere near as much. I think the new kennel has made a huge difference as he is in a drier environment now. I also think the groomer I used to use, didn't dry him well enough, which contributed to the smell.

His ears are much better now and the bottle of drops are finished.

I had him in the car on the way to the groomer this morning and he didn't smell too bad at all :rofl:

I think the combination of everything has really improved the smell.

Hopefully things will just keep getting better :rofl: his skin looks wonderful (no scabs or hot spots) and he is a much happier little pooch.

Thanks so much everyone for all your fantastic suggestions!

princessbella, what did you think of the Grimenator shampoo?. I have used it quite a bit on smelly dogs and it has always worked well.

Making sure the dog is completely dry after washing is very improtant, as is washing out the shampoo, so good to hear you found a good groomer. keep those ears and feet short!!

Hesapandabear - the lady who groomed him said that it didn't lather up well enough, but I had diluted it too much I think. I will try and get the mix right next time :rofl:

I will have to get a pic of Frodo for you all later today :rofl: he looks so lovely and happy!

Nice to hear youre getting on top of things, Frodo sounds a lot happier for it too. You will need to be vigilant though and maintain good hygene and keep everything dry.

A snood is just a tube of fabric with elastic at each end, you might try one of the spaniel clubs to see if someone supplies them (some old granny might have a cottage industry happening somewhere). You can get them off the net too, but I think getting the right fitting is important, the elastic needs to be firm enough to hold but soft enough not to cut off any circulation. Also when he is lying down, if you get the chance, just flip his ears inside out.

Keep a good check on the pup too, pups sometimes have ear mites, and you wouldnt want those to spread.

Well done, hope you can keep us posted with news and pics.

Actually the groomer just so happens to be a spaniel breeder :rofl: she said she will make Frodo a snood, but ran out of time, so I will ask her about it again at the next appointment and she can get the right measurements off him.

:rofl: Cool, will definitely want pictures of Frodo wearing his snood! :rofl: