Stinky Dog

I have a dog with real stinky problems. He is a spaniel X poodle and has had this problem since I got him as a pup 3 and a half years ago.

I've had him at the vets on pills for his skin, sheep drench for mange which he didn't actually have, he needs clippering every 3 weeks because he chews his skin off and his breath sticks to his fur making him pong.

I have just gotten some anitfungle shampoo from the vet, so fingers crossed it helps. I aslo rub Aloveen cream into his skin after a bath, which smells lovely, but only helps for a couple of hours, then he stinks again.

He also has major issues with his ears. They get full on stinky, disgusting gunk all the time, and trying to clean it makes me hurl, so I have to pay the vet to clean his ears. The smelll from his ears is worse than the smell of his fur.

The poor thing smells so bad, that no-one will pat him or go near him.

I'm at my whits end, any advise would be greatly appreciated

TIA :thumbsup:

Edited by princessbella

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you feeding him? the external reactions might be from whats going in to him. Perhaps he's allergic to something and that's causing the skin reactions. It sound like you are treating the symptoms but maybe you need to find the actual cause of the symptoms so you can change what is causing it, and hopefully eliminate the problems alltogether. Maybe start with his diet.

Edited by TigerJack

Thanks Tigerjack :thumbsup:

I have tried all sorts of diets and the latest suggestion from the vet was to include essential Omega 3 into the diet, like giving him fish oil caps.

I have tried garlic to prevent fleas, which probably works because he hasn't got a flea problem. I give him lots of chicken in his diet and he has oats and rice in his diet too.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi cavNrott, I have paid thousands of dollars in bloost tests and skin biopsy's and allergy tests etc and the only allergies they mentioned were flea allergy and certain chemicals in cleaning products. They didn't mention food allergy or pollen allergy, which I was very suprised at.

We've been trying to fix this problem for 3 years and it keeps going in circles :thumbsup: I'm still forking out cash for the same thing now, infact $100 at the vet just this morning!

Has he got the long spaniel ears?, you may need to keep them short and then pin his ears back so they get sufficient air to them.

A great shampoo which I use is made by Groomers Edge, now avail here through Clipper World, they advertise on DOL. It is called Grimenator, and is for the dirtiest, smelliest dogs. You must be careful though and rinse it out.

The only other suggestion would be to have a hair analysis done, they can pick up viruses, toxins and allergies, treated with natural remedies. Dont know what the taste is but mine would hide the moment they saw me coming with the syringe :thumbsup:

Awsome thanks Hesapandabear :thumbsup: I'll try out thr Groomers Edge stuff and hopefully it works better than the clippers I bought from there..LOL, I think I bought the wrong sort for my breed cause they only cut his coat properly once and then became blunt

His ears are floppy like a spaniels but not as long. Airing sounds like a good idea, but how do I go about pinning them back?

edit to add... I got some Malaseb today, looks familiar, think I've tried it before. Hope it works!

Edited by princessbella

Have seen some of the smelliest, baldest, most miserable, filthy, dull coated GSDs improve drastically within 10-14 days of eating a Royal Canin and raw chicken neck diet. They weren't even bathed!

Would suggest the "sensible" range, as it is chicken and rice based to eliminate allergens. Add fish oil each day as well.

This diet should assist the ears, but they sound so far gone you might need to try the "Blue Power" treatment or something similar. (just google it)

If this diet doesn't make a big difference within a few weeks to his odour, would definitely try a full naturopathic type overhaul - cleansing etc.

Morgan you have descirbed his diet exactly. His chicken is mainly raw necks (buy them for $1 a kilo) they clean his teeth really well too :)

I feed him chicken and rice cans of Natures gift, but will switch to Royal Canin tonight. I aslo bought some fish oil caps this morning after the vet suggested it, so hopefully that works.

I've seen GSD around the forum 100 times and still haven't figured out which breed that is... :thumbsup:

Edited by princessbella

Thanks Gareth, I have some apple cider vinegar here, so will give that a go for a few weeks and see if it works!

I've had so many suggestions already that I haven't tried before, wish I found this place years ago... thanks so much for all your help everyone :thumbsup:

I would suspect that your dogs immune system needs boosting.

I would completely change his diet ( do not include anything that he has been eating. and start on an elimination diet. smelly dogs are not healthy dogs .

supplements that are good fro the skin:

Antioxidant vitamins A, C, E and B complex ( esp biotin), a good multimineral supplement that includes zinc. a fatty acid supplement such as safflower or sunflower oil ( organic and cold pressed) as well as flax seed or salmon oil.

Try bathing him in an oatmeal bath: take one good handful of oats and put into a sock or stocking. swish in the water until the water becomes milky. Use the milky water to soak your dog in. If you like you can add a couple of drops of lavender oil to the water. Rinse thoroughly with fresh tepid water.

How much exercise does he get? and how much time in teh fresh air and sunshine?

I would also recommend a consult with a reputable holistic vet.

You have a lot of suggestions to take on board, a process of elimination but at least it wont cost you a fortune :thumbsup:

Pinning back ears is done by clothes pegs.

GSD's are German Shepherd Dogs, at least my understanding.

For diets, start off on a bland diet, which normally is chicken and rice or chicken and cottage cheese, then gradually add what they have been having and wait for a reaction.

Hi If you think he has a skin allergy you could try bathing him in a solution of 1 part coal tar shampoo(available from the supermarket) and 1 part head and shoulders shampoo. Make sure that it is rinsed out properly.I hope this will help

Edited by pixiedust

Oh you poor thing and poor pupper too.

I know where you are coming from with vet costs though. I had to take my two small breed dogs to the vet yesterday for a blood test. Stupid neighbour threw ratsak over the fence and I knew I wouldn't stop thinking and worrying about it if I didn't get them tested. I didn't know whether they ate any or whether the packet was empty when stupid threw it over.Tests were clear but cost was $125 per dog.

It's strange that whomever did the allergy tests on your dog didn't mention food plant allergies. I think I would be asking them about it.

I think I work to pay the vet. 3 weeks ago I paid out over $3000 for a bilateral arthroscopy for my Rottweiler...great, but she is no better than she was before the surgery.

;) you must be so angry and dissapointed. How can the vet take the money when the procedure hasn't worked? Some vets are real theives :rofl:

Thanks again for all of the replies. I will definatly try everything :thumbsup: Glad I know what a GSD is now too :)

Just one more little thing to mention, check his paws as well for the fungal infection, keep all the fur around the paws and inbetween the toes well trimmed. Also trim away the fur directly under the tail and from the back of his hocks, this can harbour fleas, dirt and moisture.

Always ensure that the paws are dry before bedtime and the same with his ears.

Where abouts is he sleeping? Have you checked that his bed is nice and dry and in a warm place (for the winter). Sometimes heavy dew can dampen everything exposed to it.

Princess Bella, that will be good if you do, sometimes the fungal infection can transfer from the paws to the ears, or even around the gums.(back and forth).

Hope some of the tips help, some of the dietry suppliments like fish oil etc should help, as well as a teaspoon of cider vinegar in the drinking water as mentioned.

:)