Vaccination Protocols - Australian Media Exposure To Controversy.

Aren't the vaccines offered here different? I was under the impression that different companies vaccines do vary ingredients wise. I was led to believe that some companies vaccines are okay to spin out, but not otheres. So the how do you know which is which and which your vet uses?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Poodlefan

annual booster only for KC and Parvo, which being viruses mutate regularly.

regarding the Parvo booster, does the Vaccine batch change annually (during manufacture) to keep up with the latest mutations? Does anyone know? Are they made locally or imported? Has the CSIRO done any studies on it? :dropjaw:

Hi Poodlefan
annual booster only for KC and Parvo, which being viruses mutate regularly.

regarding the Parvo booster, does the Vaccine batch change annually (during manufacture) to keep up with the latest mutations? Does anyone know? Are they made locally or imported? Has the CSIRO done any studies on it? :dropjaw:

They cannot put a new mutation into a vaccine until it is out there in the world, which means animals have caught it... same as with the flu vaccine: there are several strains and the injection will only eve cover two or three... Its why you can be vaccinated and still get what you have been vaccinated against.

Dan

having spoken to my vet yesterday she said that parvo and KC would always need to be done annually (by nasal infusion??) but C3 will be able to be less frequent (3 yearly) - when i suggested that i wanted titre tests done she said the problem is that it only shows a level of immunity on that day - and there is no given level (value) for immunity by the vaccine manufacturer so how do they say - yes or no to needing a vaccine when levels drop - there is no standard yet...

Actually the new research suggests that Kennle cough only lasts about 6 or 7 months any way, not even a year....

I have some stuff from Dr Dodds in the US if you would like me to email you the articles then pm me an email address...

I also recommend reading Catherine Diodati's "Vaccine Guide for Dogs and Cats" and Catherine O'driscoll's "Shock to the System"

A lot of GP vets have not closely looked into the vaccine issue and are not au fait with the new research. Actually they are saying now that once a dog has had its puppy vacs and its one year booster it has all the immunity it will gain. Yearly boosters in no way will give the dog any more immunity.

Dan

Edited by zayda_asher

How old is your dog now, Rusky?

I have 2 dogs, one is 13 and one is 8. I had stopped annual vaccs a long time ago then I moved to the city a few years ago and they were required for kennels. My Mal, Rusky got KC twice whilst vaccinated and despite all the "it could have been a worse virus or wasn't one of the strains" I read as much as I could including some KC vaccine lasts less than 6 months and stopped vaccinating. My old golden (Cindy) still has a lump where she was given the last C5. I fail to seee why an old dog needs distemper or even parvo. So far apart from the standard " it is the manufacturers recomendation" I haven't read or been told anything which has changed my mind.

I take my dogs to the vet if they are ill. I will give any future pet vaccs to 3 years. I have also stopped vaccinating the cat, he is 16.

I have 2 dogs, one is 13 and one is 8. I had stopped annual vaccs a long time ago then I moved to the city a few years ago and they were required for kennels. My Mal, Rusky got KC twice whilst vaccinated and despite all the "it could have been a worse virus or wasn't one of the strains" I read as much as I could including some KC vaccine lasts less than 6 months and stopped vaccinating.

Its also been shown that vaccination also lowers immunity for awhile (which is why they say stay away from others for a couple of weeks after vac), as many dogs are vaccinated right before kennling they ofte pick up KC in the kennle because their immunity was lowered due to the vaccination...

Dan

I have 2 dogs, one is 13 and one is 8. I had stopped annual vaccs a long time ago then I moved to the city a few years ago and they were required for kennels. My Mal, Rusky got KC twice whilst vaccinated and despite all the "it could have been a worse virus or wasn't one of the strains" I read as much as I could including some KC vaccine lasts less than 6 months and stopped vaccinating.

Its also been shown that vaccination also lowers immunity for awhile (which is why they say stay away from others for a couple of weeks after vac), as many dogs are vaccinated right before kennling they ofte pick up KC in the kennle because their immunity was lowered due to the vaccination...

Dan

good point Dan, mine were never vaccinated immediately before kennel.

good point Dan, mine were never vaccinated immediately before kennel.

Cool, I thought from the way you spoke that may not have been the case with your dogs. It does happen to a lot of people though... and the average person doesn't realise that this is what happens with a vaccination!

Dan

You would be shocked at the number of vets who casually vaccinate dogs either the day before or the day of entry to a boarding kennel! :dropjaw:

When the owner asks if this is safe, they insist that the dog must be done for it's own protection, even if the vaccination is not due for another month or two. This either indicates that the vet is totally ignorant of the fact that the dog should be isolated for at least a week afterwards because of increased susceptibility, or greed, in that they know this, don't care, and just want the money...