Lump On 13.5 Week Old Puppy

I've found a largish lump on my puppy's shoulder. It's probably the size of a 50c piece and it seems to be on or very near the right shoulder muscle (back of the neck). It doesn't appear to be bothering her at all and she didn't flinch when I was feeling it. I was wondering if this could be related to her 12 week vaccination that she had 1.5 weeks ago? I only noticed it today, but I suppose it could have been there for a while. There is another more mobile lump up in the area. It's slightly smaller and is more mobile (moves when I feel it). I thought this could possibly be a slightly swollen gland due to the vaccination???

I guess I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about. I don't think it can be too bad as it's not bothering her. I guess I just wanted a second opinion.

Cheers

Rhiannon

I would guess that it is from the vaccination, I wouldn't stress about it if she doesn't seem woried. Sometimes they can have a local reaction to the site were the vaccine was given. The best bet is to have the vet that vaccinated her check it out, this should be at no charge.

It could be a vaccine reaction- 2 of our recent litter got lumps on/between shoulder blades after their first vaccination. They were both quite large lumps, and the tiny runt puppy had an absolutely huge lump, I thought it was an abscess for a while. They lasted over a week, and then started to subside. They were seen by a vet, who said it was just a vaccine reaction, and wasn't worried.

I'd suggest a follow-up vet visit, just to put your mind at rest.

One of my dogs recently had injections on both sides of the neck / shoulders. One side she developed quite a large lump in the neck muscle. I took her back to the vets to look at it and he said it was just a reaction to the needle and should go down in about a week.

But I was told by someone to be careful that sometimes the lump doesnt go down and it is nerve damage :rofl:

I have been using rapigel on it (like deep heat, but for animals). This has helped and now the lump is only the size of a round nut now...thankfully.

(p.s. my dog just turned 1 year old, so not a puppy)

It could be from her injections or:

a haematoma

a lipoma

a tumour (benign or malignant)

or a number of other things...

Not something I would wait to see - IMO, lumps should be checked and checked as soon as they show up...

Hoping it is nothing at all

Jodie

Kaos had the same sort of thing - a week after her needle a massive lump appeared on her!!

Please take the dog to the vet - it could be something simple - but better to be safe then sorry!

Sometimes with lumps from vaccine reactions they will go down to a certain size and never leave.

Try the homeopathic remedy Thuja, it can help the lump go down, I finally got rid of Asher's using this (he'd had it for a year and a half)... Thuja is also good to give straight after the vaccination as it helps the system deal with the reaction.

Homeopathic Sulphur can also help bring the body back to balance after things like antibiotics, vaccinations and other medicaitons.

Dan

Thanks everyone for your replies. I monitored the lump over the weekend and as there was no change I took her vet last night.

He wasn't too concerned by it. He said that it was most likely a reaction to the vaccination although it's more common in cats than dogs. We have to keep monitoring it over the next 2 weeks till her next vaccination appointment and if it becomes tender or grows then we should take her back straight away.

As Pax said, because it's most likely a vaccination reaction, the check up was at no charge.

Dan, what is Thuja and where can I get it from?

He wasn't too concerned by it. He said that it was most likely a reaction to the vaccination although it's more common in cats than dogs. We have to keep monitoring it over the next 2 weeks till her next vaccination appointment and if it becomes tender or grows then we should take her back straight away.

Actually its not true that they are less common in dogs... many people just don't take them back or the vet doesn't know what they are looking at. I recommend Cathrine Diodadoti's "Vaccine Guide for dogs and cats" and Cathrine O'Driscoll's "Shock to the System" which you can order from www.dogwise.com

Dan, what is Thuja and where can I get it from?

Thuja is a homeopathic remedy. You should be able to get it from a homeopath, some naturopaths or some helathfood stores.

Dan

Thanks. I'll look into getting some of this. :rofl::laugh:

Good luck!

If your dog has had this sort of reaction I would recommend some further reading on the issue... they can get worse and lead to other issues as well with dogs who do react. I also recommend looking up Dr Jean Dodds on google. She is an Immunologist in the States that has done a lot of research into vaccination and the problems it can cause when over used.

Cheers,

Dan

Most lumps really are nothing to worry about...

Just for the record (and probably why I am so paranoid about lumps) - one of Ollie's mast cell tumours was nothing to worry about... Until one day they decided to remove a big lipoma, they removed all the other little lumps as well... They were not even going to send them away and test them until I asked them too... Two lumps came back as mast cell tumours...

If I had my time over again - I would have a needle biopsy done on every lump...

I really do hope that yours is nothing to worry about...

Jodie

any reaction to a drug MUST be reported, if the Vet won't do it, you can

go to www.avpma.gov.au and follow the prompts.This is the regulatory body and they are very good in getting back to you promptly. I know as I reported a severe adverse reaction to a drug earlier this year.

Far too many Vets dismiss these reactions as being par for the course but as Dan has said these reactions can cause bigger problems later in life.

Thanks for all your advice. Fortunately the lump seems to be going down now.

Staffyluv, I had discussed a needle biopsy with the vet and we'll be getting one done if the lump hasn't disappeared by the time we go back.

Dan, thanks for all the info. I'll definitely have a look online for some more information.

InspectorRex, the web address above doen't seem to be correct. And I can't find the correct one or anything about reporting vaccination reactions through google.

Thanks again everyone who responded :hitself:

Good luck searching out the info... itsinteresting reading :hitself:

With the lump, they will often go down a certain amount and then stop, so keep an eye out for that. For example Asher's went from the size of a golf ball down to the size of a pea and that's where it stopped, wouldn't go any further until given the Thuja and then it finally cleared.

So keep your eyes peeled, and feel for it because they can stop disapearing, but you think they have gone because they are so small...

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

I love this site - I really do. So many well-informed people. We had our dogs vaccinated weekend before last and this morning I found a lump on our youngest's neck which is quite large. Although it is where the needle went, I immediately started thinking well as it is a week after the vaccination it can't be from that, it must be a spider bite or something equally as terrible! We checked the skin in the area and it is not inflamed and after reading other people's posts where they have noticed a lump a similar amount of time after the vaccination I am no longer panicking.

However, when we go back to the vet on Friday, I will report it and get it checked as wise people here have advised.