Stroke

She is currently on the lounge covered with a blankie. She is awake but not quite with it.

Edit to add... 14 year old Chi (not that that makes much diff)

Edited by Rozzie

Rozzie a long time ago we had a peke who had a stroke, I am just trying to remember the symptoms. His back legs went all together, his tongue lolled on one side and his eyelid on that side looked lazy. He also was abit "spacey". He actually recovered from that stroke with lots of physio but later on he suffered a second one and was given his wings. Good luck and gentle hugs for the little one.

Hi Rozzie,

Can you give a more detailed description?

Does she seem to have lost some co-ordination when walking? Scraping her toes on one side?

Is her head turned to one side (usually on the same side that she is having difficulty with when moving).

Is one of her eyes drooping?

Has she ever had a seizure before Rozzie?

What is the weird noise? Is it coming from her chest or is she just making noises like whimpering or odd sounds?

Keep her warm and snuggly Roz. Until you can get her to the vet for a diagnosis, it'll be passive nursing for her.

Try to keep her hydrated but be careful as she may have some difficulty co-ordinating her swallowing and her gag reflex may be affected. Just a few drips at a time via syringe every couple of hours. Don't feed her.

If you have some Nutrigel she may be able to cope with a small amount (1ml) of that every 4hrs so her BSL doesn't drop too low.

Hope she is ok.

Ok Ta Jacq...

Have Nutrigel.

She tried to have a drink a while ago and it went everywhere but down her throat.

She's snuggled on a polarfleece blanket and has a lighter blankie over her...

Poor old chook, she's a real darling.

Hi Rozzie, when my little chi had astroke she had very similar symptoms, mainly on one side and dopey, she seemed to look but not see anything, i had to nurse he myself for 7 dys she couldnt walk or eat hardly, i just kept nursing her and kepy syringing small doses of rehydrating fluids altanating each time with glucose (not mixed). Vet gave her injections (and sent home spares) to help to calm muscles but apart from that he couldnt help, told me he couldnt help her at the surgury, best if she was in her home envioement so she stressed less, she pulled thru and to his amazment made acomplete recovery, so your little one has a very good chance to, do hope shes ok and that you have got hold of the vet by now, good luck.

My Husbands Boarder Collie had a stroke last May. She was unable to stand and if she did would stagger to the left and fall. We did the same as you canines4ever.

I would syringe in glucose water and nutripet. and made her up some chicken broth. She was unable to stand for nearly five days. When she did would walk to the left all the time. She is still going rather doddery at times but is always there when foods up. She is 19 years old. I hope your little one recovers. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Well... she's fine...no idea what it was but no signs of anything drastic... she's back to her old self, including bossing Keera around and taking up what bed is left after the Queen of the Doona lobs in....

She's keeping everyone guessing...