Sooky Staffy

thatsthestaff

Gday guys,

First time forum user, second time pup owner in the last 10 years. Just got my 8 1/2week staffy pup home. maybe a worry wort but a little concerned that we cannot leave the room without the little one crying???

Secondly a tad concerned with a little bit of blood in his poo. I have spoken with a friend that has dealt with pups previously and said possibly worms, but should clear up in time???? Is this common, he does seem to think so.

Any advise welcomed, cheers Joel.

The crying can be normal - he is a baby, and is probably freaking out at being away from his litter mates

Try putting a tshirt that you have worn in with him

We wrapped up a windup clock (that ticks) in my husbands tshirt for Eddie when he was a bub

Supposed to make them feel a bit more comfortable, don't know if it was because of that but Eddie had no real troubles

With the poo, I would take him to the vet tomorrow morning, get them to check him out in general, not a bad idea for anyone getting a pup, even if they are healthy, you will be seeing the vet a few more times for vaccs and desexing anyway so good to make yourself familiar with them

Better to take him and it be nothing, than leave him and risk the worst IMO

Pics please?????!!!!!!!! And what is the little guys name?

Yes, I agree with the above posts about a trip to the vet just to be sure. Worms can cause bleeding (so can lots of other things) so your vet can recommend a good worming program for your puppy as well as talk to you about his upcoming immunisations.

Keep in mind it's reeeeeally cold everywhere at the moment, your pup will be missing all the body warmth of his mum and litter mates. Pup will appreciate a nice warm bed away from any draughts. There is an old trick that can be quite effective, use an old wind-up tick tock clock in the room with the pup, the rhythms of the clockwork can be like a mothers heartbeat. Also a radio can be good too.

Hope the little mite settles in soon.

i agree with all above, i have an 11 weeks old little staffy boy as well.. i took him to vet just for check altho i know he came from a good breeder and had no problems, also just to familiarise him with vets,, more a social visit than anything for him, because his next visit will be a needle..lol im sure he wont appreciate that , because he too is a sooky boy im sure all staffys are , my previous staffy was too..they are such sensative little souls and just love to be with you. he is most likely as other have said freaking out for the past 8 weeks he has had mum and littermates for him now all he has is a big open room and a few people around. i imagine that would be quiet daunting to a little pup make his space warm cosy, staffys feel the cold.!! with an old shirt or toy that is yours so he has the scent on it..t he clock also works..ihavent had to use it.. my guy settled in really well there is always someone he for him he is hardly alone as i have 4 kids .. he does have alone times when he is in his crate if i have to go out or for his sleeps.. he does cry for about 2 mins and then settles. he will have a raw hide chew or a kong or something nice in there..

pictures are a must!!!!!! whats the little guys name. where is he from.. we need all the details.. can never have enough baby pics on here... :love::cheer:

good luck with him and enjoy.. keep us updated

I have never, ever had an 8 week old puppy with blood in its stools, so no it is not common. The worms that can cause bleeding (because they attach themselves to the intestinal walls) are whipworms (unlikely in an 8 week old) and hookworms and your puppy would have to have a very high infestation to be bleeding at 8 weeks. Does the puppy have diarrhoea or constipation as repeated straining may cause rectal bleeding? Roundworms can cause diarrhoea and/or constipation.

The crying is normal in a baby that has just left its dam and littermates, this can be highly traumatic for a young puppy.

If I were you I'd go to the vet for a check up as the bleeding definitely isn't normal.