Eating Poop

Savanna's mom

Hi all, I know this topic has been covered before and I have followed the advice, by giving Savanna pineapple, which she loves and eats straight out of the bowl, but she still eats her poops. The ones she makes outside during the day she leaves alone, but if she has an accident during the night she eats those. It's like she does not want a mess near where she is sleeping so she eats it! Help what else can we try.

Thanks in anticipation

Although tinned pineapple is usually the first port of call, unfortunately sometimes it doesn't work :mad

Have you done a search for the other poo-eating threads? There are heaps of suggestions that might help you out :thumbsup:

Where does pup sleep?. I like mine beside my bed - in a crate,so they can "notify" me of needing to toilet.

Sometimes undigested food can pass, depending on the diet, fed,making it more attractive to pups. Obviously not to us LOL. Possibly feeding her less at night, may help.

Savanna sleeps in the laundry so we don't hear if she has an emergency call. I have noticed though that when I was cleaning up her poop from outside she got very agitated and tried to eat some of it. Do you think she is trying to hide it from me, inside and outside and therefore eats it before I can find it. I was raising my voice if I caught her pooping inside and I think this is what started the whole thing off. I now take her outside and clean the mess when she is not around. The pineapple is making her poop smell terrible - don't know how she can stand to eat it!!! :rofl:

Can I modify that Q a bit, our dog likes to eat other dogs poo? Is that normal, never his, but loves others? Sorry to sidetack your Q.

My puppy doesn't touch his own poo, but loves to dig up the cats poo and eats it. I'm thinking it maybe a territorial thing as he poos where he's dug up and eaten the cat's. Anyway, I've started following him around with a bottle of spray'n wipe type cleaner (all I have handy at the mo) and as he digs up the poo I spray it and he won't eat it. It's probably not a permanent solution as I'm sure once we start leaving him outside alone he'll go at it again, but he is spending less and less time digging and eating. That spray cleaner is great stuff for keeping him away from things I don't want munched (eg. electrical cords :rofl: ).

I have a bitch that will eat poo when she is at the park, not all poo only the tasty ones :rofl: I also have a puppy at the moment who will eat the big dogs' poo but not his own or his brother's. I pick up very promptly, but he still manages to get a few. Over the years I've had a few dogs that ate poo and no doubt I'll have a few more, I've just learned to live with it :laugh:

ETA they will ALL eat cat poo.

Edited by Miranda

I have a bitch that will eat poo when she is at the park, not all poo only the tasty ones :rofl: I also have a puppy at the moment who will eat the big dogs' poo but not his own or his brother's. I pick up very promptly, but he still manages to get a few. Over the years I've had a few dogs that ate poo and no doubt I'll have a few more, I've just learned to live with it :laugh:

ETA they will ALL eat cat poo.

All very normal for dogs/puppies to eat poo, try putting tomato paste on her food, most of the time they grow out of it but some never do and continue this awful habit till they die. Not nice when you are trying to eat breakfast and the dog outside is producing and eating his own!! uck