Blue Cattle Dog Aggression

Hi All

This is my first post - but I am desperate for a solution.

I have a Blue Cattle Dog purebreed and most of the time she is a loving and exceptional dog.

She is 18 months old. She is in great health (regularly checked up) and has no fleas etc etc - she is really well looked after.

She has also been spayded.

But when I go to leave the house for work she can get quite aggressive - to the point where she lunges at me - teeth showing. She occasionally does this during the evening when someone walks past her - without provoking her. She can also get quite aggressive with food.

The only solution the vet has given me is to put her down - As she is normally a lovely dog I would prefer this to be a last resort - however I really need to find some sort of solution otherwise I fear that euthanasia is the only option.

She has plenty of toys to play with, is exercised in the yard each day, has been to puppy pre school and training and I also spent $500 getting a dog trainer to come to home to train her. Their solution was to throw something to the floor and yell 'BAAAAH' when she misbehaves.

I really sincerely want to help my pooch settle down - as I don't like the alternative.

Any hints / tips would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Brisbane - Southside

NOTE: I previously posted in the general section - responses received so far were;

my_sibe_owns_me

Id keep her on lead when your in the house, tied somwhere so she doesnt really get the chance to bite someone when you get home. And well if shes bitting or you think she would snap or if she is showing teeth then place a muzzle on her and when she jumps to bit grab her mouth and holding it firmly and tell her no in a loud deep voice.

I dont know if this will work but normaly placing a muzzle on a dog who uses its teeth to get its way, will clam down realizing they can no longer bit to get their way

Scarlet 16th Jun 2006 - 02:39 PM Post #3

You will be asked where you live as some people here know of very good dog behaviourists that they could put you in touch with if they have an idea where you live.

Maybe also put it in the training section.

Good Luck.

Nekhbet posted this when this topic was in the General section

can you list how she behaves -

around food

when you feed her

when you go to touch her

Is she from working animals?

how is her obedience, does she listen all the time or sometimes ignore you

does she stare at you in the face sometimes?

how does she behave around strangers, other animals and you

also at what age did you get her? I assume you called Bark Busters and its made your problem worst.

My Responses

can you list how she behaves -

around food

I normally ask her to sit and stay prior to giving her the food. Once I give it to her we normally need to 'leave her alone' and she begins to snarl - gets quite possessive of it.

when you feed her

As above

when you go to touch her

Most of the time she loves it. The wags her tail and ears are down. She is quite affectionate. With me, she quite often will roll on her back and seek a tummy rub - which I give her (I was told that this is a sign that I am boss- not sure if this is right though). With the rest of the family she is generally ok. Apart from my sister - with her at times you really don't know how she is going to react.

Is she from working animals?

We bought her from a breeder who has a bit of land. I am led to believe that her parents did not do any work

how is her obedience, does she listen all the time or sometimes ignore you.

Hot and cold. Sometimes she ignores me. She can be painful at times when playing ball - ie won't give it to me etc - stops playing and just chews the ball.

does she stare at you in the face sometimes?

Yes

how does she behave around strangers, other animals and you

Our neighbours quite often come to the fence and she loves the attention - has not given us any trouble whatsover with strangers.

She will try to dominate other animals though. A friend has a cocker spaniel and he is as placid as they come - but if I give the cocker any attention she will snap at him

also at what age did you get her? I assume you called Bark Busters and its made your problem worst.

We got her at 6 weeks. yes - it was Bark Busters - and she improved a little - then got a hell of a lot worse if that makes sense.

I would tell ppl wher you are in Australia. If you are in NSW, contact K9 Force, he will put a stop to it quick smart. He can prob tell u the best ppl where u r as well.

Be patient and wait a day or so and u will have many replies.

eeeek @ Bark Busters......the probably most inappriopriate way to handle an aggressive dog!

Contact Steve @ K9 Force he may be able to reccomend a trainer/behaviorist in your area.

www.k9force.net

Is her eyesight ok? Some dogs have a sight prob and will feel threatened if they sense movement near food, evening the light fades as does what little sight they had so they are fearful and when you are leaving they are left to contend with life in a shadow...just a thought

With me, she quite often will roll on her back and seek a tummy rub - which I give her (I was told that this is a sign that I am boss- not sure if this is right though).

You definately need to consult with a behaviourist (not of the kind you've already seen, obviously. Unfortunately, they have a "one way fits all" type training system which IMO simply doesn't cut it).

I would not suggest rolling on her back and seeking a tummy rub is necessarily her being submissive to you. Could well be that she is exhibiting the roll over to instigate something from you that she wants. Behaviours should be on YOUR terms, not the dog's.

Whilst you are waiting for a visit from a behaviourist more qualified to assist you, I'd suggest you:

1. Practice the "NILIF" program. (ie Nothing In Life Is Free). This means your dog gets nothing (at all, not even a pat) without doing something for you first.
  2. K9 Force's TOT (Triangle of Temptation) program. It is "pinned" at the top of the Training Forum page.

Both of the above are non-challenging, but heirarchy status emphasising (for you) and will do no harm, only good.

yes all that they have said, a behaviorist, a proper one not a BB crew with their Baa and chains and stones in bottles. I am absolutely positive that those actions put the fear of God into an already fearful dog and tip them over the edge. It isn't your fault, you are doing your best.

Maybe call your canine association and see if they have any suggestions for a good person to help you

Here are a list of clubs in your area, maybe someone from Brisbane could help you sort out who might be able to help

clubs brisbane

good luck

Might I suggest that a cattle dog needs more exercise and stimulation than being in a back yard.

Even if her parents were not woking dogs they still need lots of running and "work".

If you completely tire her out she will be sound a sleep from sunset to dawn.

Just a suggestion :eek:

Cheers Netti

Hi metro09, and welcome to DOL.

Good on you for trying to do the right thing, and for continuing to persevere. You will work through this apparent aggression with the right professional help, as advised above.

The only comment I have to add to the helpful replies you've already received is that the word "normally" stuck out like a sore thumb in your description of feeding.

You will need to replace "normally" with "always" ... be consistent in your expectations of your girl and she will relax knowing exactly what is expected of her.

I agree that she probably needs more stimulation and exercise than saying she's "exercised in the yard each day" implies. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what this means -- it could mean an hour of high-energy fetching for all I know.

I have a red heeler X, male, 6yo. He gets a 40-minute walk each morning and we try for a walk most evenings as well as a play session in the back yard when we get home. He gets an off-lead run each weekend or a long walk into town and back. An 18-month-old would need a heck of a lot more than that.

In terms of stimulation, how long is the dog alone during a working day and what do you provide her with during that time?

Many people find that giving food in a Kong toy will occupy their dogs. Recreational bones are also good. I give my dog his breakfast kibble in a Buster Cube, which is a large plastic cube with a hole at one end. He has to bat the cube around the yard for a good 30 minutes to get all his brekky out of it, so that keeps him occupied for a little while.

Hope some of that helps! Good luck, and let us know how you go.

around food

I normally ask her to sit and stay prior to giving her the food. Once I give it to her we normally need to 'leave her alone' and she begins to snarl - gets quite possessive of it.

when you feed her

As above

etc, etc

I reads like a rank issue to me. The way I read this, specially the quote above is that she sees you as a lower member of the pack and is tryint to tell you to "stay away while I eat"...

Somebody else has already suggested the two things that I had in mind when I first read your post:

• Start her on K9Force's triangle of temptation program, and
  • Go and see K9Force :rofl:
  • Ah... and also plently of exercise. however is she is having agression issues, I would not go out until those are sorted.

Hope this helps.

Hi All

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES!!!

The feedback I have received has been great - so thanks all for the information.

I am definetly looking at engaging a behaviouralist and have starting talking to a couple of the local ones you have provided me the details of.

We have also started taking her for morning walks for extra exercise - along with the normal hour of fetching balls, frisbees etc in the evening.

She has also begun to work a little harder prior to delivering food to her - ie forced to sit - eat on command etc. I have also sought to 'exclude' her from coming inside if she does not behave / obey instructions.

As I said in my first post - i sincerely want her to still be around as she is a wonderful pooch! So - i will keep on these things and engage some professional help and hopefully in the near future I will jump back on to let you all know how I go!

Thansk Again.

I don't have any advice to give.... but wanted to say good on you for doing the right thing by seeking help and doing the right thing by your dog.

It's all about learning....

I wish you all the best :)