Stand For Exam

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I can't find it :shrug: . I'm having trouble getting my 13mth old male Goldie to stand still in the stand for exam excersise. He has his first CCD trial coming up soon, which he is ready for apart from this excersise. As soon as he is approached he moves away :rofl: . I am going to start at the beginning with him ie. stand by my side and just have people walk around us and then gradually move on from there. But I would love some suggestions as to how to stablalise him in this excersise.

Funny thing, I had that problem too!!, for a lot of the time while training I stood over him and held him steady but thats probably not the best idea, we just had to learn it for obedience!! not a comp

I had a similar issue for ages where my boy would stand beautifully for me, I could stand behind him and poke him in the ribs or give him a belly rub and he wouldn't budge.

But the second our examiner walked up, he would go to pieces and jump all over them :rofl:

Then I got a new trainer and all of a sudden it became easy, he trained me how to get the dog to stand without budging.

I started off laying on the praise anytime he noticed the trainer but didn't move and kept it up while he approached. The second he showed signs of moving I'd say "Aaah" and he'd generally come good again. I'd already tried this under the guidance of other obedience trainers to no avail so I don't know what it was about this one. I think he probably approaches the dogs in a way that makes them less exciteable, but it helps immensly getting them to the point where they understand that stand means stand!

It's worth trying having a person do walk pasts while you have the dog standing beside you - try have them using a curved approach, sideways body presentation, no eye contact with the dog (i.e. they're using calming signals). Start with them far enough away for your dog to stand steadily, so that you can praise/reward - then gradually move in. I would do a few, have a play break, then do some more - gradually having the person coming closer, but still curved. Once the pup is happy with that, the person can have their hand just trail down the dog's back as they keep moving past, still with no eye contact, and with the curved approach.

As long as you have success, you would gradually have the person increase the pressure, and pause briefly. The progress to the normal examination - which is very light for CCD anyway.

Once your dog is confident with this, you would then go immediately in front of the dog - and back up if necessary in what the approaching person does. Once the dog is confident with this, you can go further away from the dog, again ready to back off the pressure the person puts on until confidence is reached again.

And then you need to start getting as many different people, with different clothes/hats etc. on to do this.

If your dog is food trained, it's worth having some yummy food in your hand for the dog to be licking while this is going on initially - then as the dog relaxes, you can give the food as a reward.

It can be quite a stressful exercise, even for dogs who love people, especially if they are body sensitive.

Snoopy jocks mine does the same when we're on our own. I can do anything and he won't move, but as soon as I'm on the end of the lead and someone else approaches that's when he moves. But .....

Tassie I just had my boy outside and stood beside him while my son walked towards him from different angles

with no eye contact. I rewarded him with treats while he stood still. So far so good. We are now at the stage where he is letting my son trail his fingers down his back. I hadn't thought of the eye contact and I'm wondering if that was part of the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions :rofl:

Hi GSDog2

Once your boy has become more comfortable with one person doing stand for exam don't forget to get lots of different men/women, with hats/sunnies/skirts etc

long years ago whilst trialling my Golden (rainbow bridge back in '95) I had a similar problem, he considered anyone nice enough to come and touch him was an instant new friend!! Got him over that but was a very naughty boy with women wearing skirts...there are some places cold noses should NOT go!

Good luck

Annie and her boyz

Whenever you are around people who the dog doesn't know (or not very well anyway), ask them to help you do a quick practice.

Years ago my blue merle Sheltie was quite nervous with SFE and people were trying not to upset her but they were sort of "creeping" in to her.

I realised she was picking up on their caution and was like "oh no, why is this person creeping up to me with a worried look??" :shrug:

I found it a lot better when I didn't tell the "examiner" she was nervous and they walked up to her confidently.

She was picking up on their "cautious" approach.

Also I found the "build up" method good.

Start by getting the person just to walk up and talk to you and ignore the dog then walk away. I wouldn't even worry too much about a perfect "stay" at that early stage.

Try not to trial him before he's ready. It's disappointing and he'll pick up on your mood. :confused:

Better to do plenty of mocks until you feel confident. :(

Good luck and HAVE FUN! :rofl::rofl:

We have problems with the stand for exam too.

Diesel is a wigglebut and thinks everybody wants to smooch with a GSD! :thumbsup: I have been working on focus and attention and just having people walk past and circle him. I can do a stand for exam on him fine - won't budge when I do it. I guess other people are more exciting!

We have problems with the stand for exam too.

Diesel is a wigglebut and thinks everybody wants to smooch with a GSD! :p I have been working on focus and attention and just having people walk past and circle him. I can do a stand for exam on him fine - won't budge when I do it. I guess other people are more exciting!

You've just reminded me of the opposite reason some dogs won't SFE! :D

I trialed the 2 opposites (different breeding). One nervous Sheltie (Pepper) and one VERY outgoing (Tuckey).

I reckon Tuckey and Diesel had the same judges and they were liars! (the judges, not the dogs). :p

They told Diesel that their absolute favourite breed is GSD and they want smooches from them more than anything else in the whole wide world, and they told Tuckey that their absolute favourite breed is SS and they want smooches from them more than anything else in the whole wide world! :D :rofl::rofl:

One time I was trialing under a very experienced and respected judge at the Sheltie National. He actually DID love Shelties! (Oh and did I mention he had impeccable taste?? :confused: ).

When he examined, he knelt down and fondled the dogs. I though we were a gonna at that stage but either we had a miracle or he had whispered into her ear "if you move I'll have to kill you". :rofl:

Normally, if someone fondled her like that, she would have leapt all over them! :D

I just went to a Sue Hogben seminar (it was the best) and saw this taught to a very happy, wriggle bum dog.

What Sue suggested was to do like doggie zen or food rule outs. Start at a sit and give the dog treats, if he moves his feet, move your arm away. When he is steady he gets the treat. When this is solid in the sit have people come and pat your dog while you do the doggy zen or rule out (really just like watch but keep the reward rate high). Once this is 100% move to the stand and start again.

Hope that makes sense. :p

Bonniebank this is my first time trialing with a GR and he is very friendly (too friendly :confused:). I have a GSD who is absolutely devoted to me and no one else, and he wasn't very happy doing SFE but for the opposite reason to the GR. My GSD hated it, but put up with it only because I asked him too. You could tell by the expression in his eyes that he didn't like it. His first trial was with a judge who was quite a large man with a severe limp and my GSD just looked at him and walked away (the judge knew why and was very sypathetic). After that he did stand but he was definately NOT HAPPY JAN!!! My GR on the otherhand, thinks everyone loves him (which they do) and therefore they're either going to give him a pat or play with him.

I have been taking note of everyones advice and he is slowly improving :p . I know it's early days yet, but it's great to see him standing still when approached instead of moving around. I don't know if it's my imagination but I feel the non-eye contact is also helping.

Thanks Pax that's almost what I'm doing so it sounds like we're on the right track.

We went to training tonight and HE DID IT! :p

Stood still and gave me eye contact the whole time during stand for exam. And did not move on the return either! And it is the instructor that he REALLY likes!

There is a trial next month at my home training ground and home club - they are asking if I think I am ready to trial as this would be a good starting one. I am thinking about it . . .

I used the "Tellington Touch" on my girl, and I have never had her break a stand stay yet.

Try and 'google' it.

Sue

Cala I just did a google search and I'm interested. I have found an Australian site http://www.tuxedo.com.au/products/product....&category=rural

with this book for sale.

I'm just wondering how you found out about "Tellington Touch" and did someone actually show you how

it's done. I think all my dogs would benefit from it.

We went to training tonight and HE DID IT! :p

Stood still and gave me eye contact the whole time during stand for exam. And did not move on the return either! And it is the instructor that he REALLY likes!

There is a trial next month at my home training ground and home club - they are asking if I think I am ready to trial as this would be a good starting one. I am thinking about it . . .

Kavik do it, do it, do it!!!!!! You've got everything going for you :confused: - home training ground, and club, and he can do a STAND FOR EXAM. I'm envious :p