Multi Dog Households

leopuppy04

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting another pup later in the year to reside with my 2yr old male who is very well behaved and loves all dogs (very gentle with puppies). Both my dogs however are bought to be obedience/agility/conformation/therapy dogs etc, and I want them to bond to me and not become reliant on the other dog. Naturally each dog is going to spend time apart from each other as well as time alone with me and time alone together. There are however a few things i'm worried about:

1. Should I have these dogs seperate for periods during the day. I work all day so obviously I can't be taking pup away from big boofhead all the time and am more inclined to think that temporary partitioning of our yard is a better idea until the pup is older and not growing so much. My dog comes to work with me at the moment a few times a week and the puppy will also do so - sometimes together and sometimes seperate.

2. Should I be more worried about older dog not leaving puppy alone or puppy not leaving boofhead alone? My boy loves to play, but everyone knows what puppies are like!

3. If anyone has any other ideas about multi-dog households as this is my first attempt at it and I really want it to work!

4. Anyone have any ideas of what to use for partitioning. I was thinking of using one of those dog pens that envelope out to approx a 16" fence, but i'm not sure if it is secure enough. I want something that can be put up/ taken down quickly as our backyard is only normal suburban size! Anyone know if there are baby gates or something that stretch out to approx 7-10m?

Thanks in advance

Amanda & Leo

I have never had any problems with my dogs bonding more to each other then to me. I think that is your fear? They love each other but push each other out of the way to get time with 'mummy'. When training I have to put the one I am not training inside or they will be heeling off lead at the same time as I am training the other one!

Your older dog will tell the pup when he has had enough with playing etc.

I try not to interfer too much with the pecking order. Just let them sort it out themselves.

I guess some breeds of dogs may prefer other dogs over humans but not mine. I have border collies btw. I would never have one dog again. I like that they have each other for company if I am not around.

Not separating your dogs is probably a good idea because if you keep them separate but in places where they can find each other, you are likely to upset them because they can't get to each other. Also, if your older dog is well behaved, he will teach your pup a few things about behaving properly. My older dog actually toilet trained my younger one. He can also teach about proper behaviour when playing with other dogs and will let the younger puppy know if it bites too hard or plays too roughly.

Hi LeoPuppy

Both my dogs however are bought to be obedience/agility/conformation/therapy dogs etc, and I want them to bond to me and not become reliant on the other dog. Naturally each dog is going to spend time apart from each other as well as time alone with me and time alone together.

There has been interesting discussion on raising puppies to focus on you in the training and obedience thread. Not sure if you've read them but here is a sample:Link . I don't have high level competition dogs but I understand your concern. You might be better posting this in Training forum.

2. Should I be more worried about older dog not leaving puppy alone or puppy not leaving boofhead alone? My boy loves to play, but everyone knows what puppies are like!

I got a puppy (Bruno) 8 weeks ago. Bella (the older) needed time out for the first three or four weeks but now they are fine alone together. They are now best friends but listen to me well. I walk them separately and train one while the other watches from a pen. Also take the pup to puppy school while Bella stays home. Have been deliberately separating them from the beginning and they are both fine except when I work one in the front yard or up and down the street. The other one can be heard two blocks away.

If I was a serious competition person I would probably do even more one on one.

Have fun.

We are a multi dog household & have never had issues with the dogs bonding more to the dogs than humans.Every dog is different so you approach each dog to there needs.

We seperate pups from adults here when not supervised as no matter how well behaved they are pups are annoying & a big dog can only be so gentle.

We have showdogs & we dont go out of our way to seperate we prefer to teach each dog that there time will come & to be relaxed & patient.

Pups break so easily so even the most gentle dog can have a zoomie & plough through a baby.It doesnt take long for pup to grow up & be able to play with the adult,so we prefer to play it safe

Thanks everyone for their replies. Yeah I'm worried about them bonding more to each other than to me, but also I don't want them to hate being left alone without the other. I want them to be independent enough that they won't fuss when the other is gone. Like another person said, i'll do some 1:1 training and walks etc.

Thanks guys, i'll tell you how it goes!

amanda