Kangaroo-rabbit-hare

Guest Pandii

Guest Pandii

Just wondering who else feeds

their dogs roo- rabbit- or hare

Is there a correct way and do I have to watch out for anything

Is there any beifits in catch your own to brought in the way of things that could be added to your meat at the shops

Is there any long term problems in feeding these meats when it is added to a variety of other foods

Thanks

We feed roo, but we buy human grade certified from the butcher. I would love to find somewhere to get rabbit at a good price too but also human grade.

The problem with catching or buying these meats from pet stores is the problem with disease, preparation of the meat and the effect this may have on your dogs.

We feed roo and have fed rabbit (but the dogs really didn't like it). I always buy human grade meat for my dogs as it does not contain Sulphur Dioxide (I think that's the chemical) which keeps the meat looking "red". That's the stuff usually sold as "Pet meat - not for human consumption". But if you can get a good butcher rather than the supermarket, they can make you up some great pet meat.

Problem with rabbit is that it's too expensive here in Qld (you know, because we don't HAVE any rabbits in Qld :eek::eek: )

I wouldn't use roadkill because of risk of worms, particularly hyatid tapeworm plus the rabbits now have calicivirus which I don't want to take any chances with personally :eek:

Kangaroo is particualarly good for fat dogs as it's the leanest meat available :rofl: I've never had any problems feeding either to my dogs :eek:

I give mine roo tail - started recently as I now have supplier at a reasonable price. They come frozen from a pet food supplier. However, I don't believe there is anything added and the problem with roo meat, usually, is only tapeworm. My dog is regularly wormed and I do believe that freezing would kill it anyway - if it were present in the tail - which I think is unlikely.

She had them before on occasions - but they were expensive from the supermarket.

She gets one about twice a week now - they come 3 to the kg.

Too much would not be good as it is very lean and contains little fat - but she needs to lose some weight and gets Lamb flap or neck and Pork trotters as well - which means she is getting plenty of fat from other things in her diet.

I do keep to the meaty bones. Partly because I am - sort of - keeping to a BARF shedule. And also because I belive that any minced meat usually does have things added, you can't tell how much fat or bone is in it, and it doesn't do anything for the teeth.

But that is a big ask, Pandii - I don't know about long term problems etc :eek:

And there may be things to look out for that I am not aware of.

:rofl:

Guest Pandii

So if I get the meat fresh there is no preservitives and I keep my dogs wormed

I shouldnt have any problems

The rabbits and roo are ok for human consumption so I am told and even my Dad eats them. they are cut and handled with sterile knives and gloves and freezer bagged then esky to they get to the freezers

the dogs seems to love the especially a whole rabbit

Pandii - can you send me some of those rabbits? Huh Huh??? :eek::eek:

Love fresh rabbit. The stuff we get from the butcher is frozen, domestic produce and costs a zillion.

Lots of people shoot and eat rabbit - never heard of a reason not to. :rofl:

:eek:

Yes. If the roo is fit for human consumption, then use it. :rofl: Keep up the worming schedule and you'll be right.

I'm still a bit dubious about the fresh-killed wild rabbit/hare though.. rabbit/hare fit for human consumption is not wild caught - they are farmed under special conditions so that they have NO exposure to wild rabbits because of the calicivirus and miximatosis.

I feed fresh wild rabbit and roo when I can get it, just have to ensure a worming regime. My guys will eat it however it comes, skin, organs the worksand eat it with gusto. Unfortunately I am running low on suppliers so they haven't had either for quite some time:(

Guest Pandii
Pandii - can you send me some of those rabbits? Huh Huh??? :eek::eek:

Love fresh rabbit. The stuff we get from the butcher is frozen, domestic produce and costs a zillion.

Lots of people shoot and eat rabbit - never heard of a reason not to. :rofl:

:eek:

So I should be wary on rabbitt/hare is there any way to check to see if they are contaminated such as checking liver/kidneys??

Pandii - can you send me some of those rabbits? Huh Huh???

Lots of people shoot and eat rabbit - never heard of a reason not to.

How many you want :eek:

comes in handy living rural never eaten rabbit and dont intend to but we share with dad, hes disgusted that we feed good rabbits to the dogs

How many can ya get!!!!! I would love to be able to get a regular supply! The only thing fore my lot is that they don't like the ones that have been shot (smell of gunpowder residue I presume) My older supplier used to trap.

hes disgusted that we feed good rabbits to the dogs

I share his disgust. :eek:

Your Dad should know all the ins and outs of rabbit consumption, I would have thought?

I've never heard of hydatids being a problem with Rabbits - but, even so, if the meat is thouroughly cooked, it should, theoretically, be safe.

Hydatid cysts are very large and quite obvious - don't think they would be easy to miss. I've only come across tape worm in relation to pork, roo and sheep. And farmers have been eating all those for generations! :eek:

:rofl:

I'm still a bit dubious about the fresh-killed wild rabbit/hare though.. rabbit/hare fit for human consumption is not wild caught - they are farmed under special conditions so that they have NO exposure to wild rabbits because of the calicivirus and miximatosis.

This is my concern also.

The tapeworm problem exists in roo, cows, pigs and sheep which is why I buy human grade.

Rabbit is the perfect dog food. Good lean meaty bones & I am told they do not have hydatid tapeworms..... can anyone verify this?

You are correct. The only intermediate hosts for hydatids are sheep, cattle, kangaroos and humans. Dogs, dingos and foxes can be definitive hosts. When I lived in the country my dogs occasionally caught rabbits (usually babies) and ate the whole thing including the fur which is later passed unaltered in the poo, they were never healthier.

Guest Pandii
Your Dad should know all the ins and outs of rabbit consumption, I would have thought?

Yes I do trust him.

Looks like rabbits and Roo are on the menu then

the dogs are getting roo steak for dinner ( big bloody chunk of it too)

and the kids are having sausages go figure

Thanks guys

• 4 months later...

My guys had rabbit for the first time tonight, Clover as usual ate every last scrap and then wanted more.. Tinny & Elvis were not sure what to think and took a bit to get going, Elvis eventually finished his rabbit rear end off but left the tail :mad.

wow you dug this old thread up

just wnat to note that since I started this I have found out that roo has to be purchased through the proper channels

Just wanted to say I am not breaking any laws

Good to here you dogs enjoyed their rabbit, Mine go crazy for a rabbit for dinner

never had probs with roo we got a very good pet store owner gets a good fresh supply each week freezes it straight away.

OHs cousin feeds his dogs fresh wild roo on occasions never had a problem. He has pigdogs so when they go huntin the dogs get the meat from the pigs or the roos from the hunt.