What Do You Pay For Your Obedience Training?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always trained at CCCQ affiliated clubs, which generally are a membership per year fee plus small amount per week. I don't trust private training companies, I feel it's too likely they are most interested in the dollars not the dogs.

Southside - $10 membership per year ($5 joining fee first year) and $4 per class

Redlands - $15 membership per year ($5 joining fee first year) and $3 per class

Mine's about $30 a year too - and that's for a family membership. I get a slight discount as I do some volunteer stuff.

There are no fees for training - the fee is a once yearly payment only. You can go as often as you like. They have training Sunday mornings and Weds nights.

Interesting that all so far who have responded have been members of yearly clubs and not the pay for the life of the dog type

CC - I wouldn't ever pay life membership for several reasons.....

1) I've just switched clubs because I had a few issues with training methods/conflict between instructors and slack rules. Even though my 1st class at my new club went great, there is no guarantee that this one will be able to meet all our needs throughout my dogs lifetime

2) I'm in my late 20s and I've just completed move no. 20 - hopefully will stay where I am for a little longer than my average but sh*t happens and I have no objection with picking up and leaving in order to gain employment in my chosen field.

3) Neither club I've attended offers lifetime membership :bottom:

The Rotty club is $60 for the first year as a new member & $5 each time you train or $15 up front for a five week block indoor training on a weeknight and accept all breeds, OR

ADT, (which I'm a trainer at) works out costing the average member $5 a lesson and they have the choice of training at anyone of the eight training centres or 5 times a week if they don't mind travelling a bit and are training obsessed, which some of the members are. :bottom:

hehe... I always thought ours was really cheap, but compared to some its not (although i do still think it is incredibly cheap :bottom: ) $10 membership per year plus $3 per week but isuppose that does include a lucky ticket draw each week which usually constsit of a 5kg bag of dog food + a dog toy and at break time we get a cuppa and biscuits.

Agility is about $7 per lesson(no yearly fee), but that is not done at the same club.

I think that our club needs to up its prices!! We were going 15 years ago, and it was still only $3 a lesson!!

I can answer you question from today, as I rejoined an obedience club, whooooo hooooooo. From someone who into retriever training/trials I even amazed myself. I must have looked a treat with my pegged ball on the string, LOL.

I paid $55.00 which included the VCA member discount of $10. I felt a little odd driving home, as I should not have accepted the discount. I will donate it next week.

Just wondering what people pay/ charge for private lessons?

How due you think they compare to traditional dog club classes?

How long is a piece of string???? It may be worthwhile starting another thread on this topic.

It does vary anything from fifteen dollars to ver a hundred depending on what you want and the most expensive is not necessarily the best.

One on one with a good trainer is a great way to get ahandle on things and a good trainer willa rrange distractiond other dogs etc when needed but a good class is the same unless it behaviour issues then one on one is my preference

I joined an obedience club on the weekend and it is $65.00 per year. No ongoing weekly fees.

This saturday i am joining another club which is $160.00 for the course but it is a lifetime membership for that level of obedience.

I am really looking forward to it.

One thing that I would like to add here guys for most of the bargain dog trainer hunters, many people think that expensive = bad and cheap = value.

From my experience, (and this has nothing to do with me flogging my own services or any of the schools I train at) many of the trainers are poorly experienced, many of them have only trained 1 or 2 dogs which are generally their own and they have no real formal training or qualifications or made up internal qualifications, such as accreditation from a recognised training body or a Certificate 4 in work place training and assessing.

Many people who tell me how good their training centre is have nothing to really go on because they have never been anywhere else, therefore have no comparison to base their argument on.

But, at the end of the day, if you're happy, then that's all that really matters.

Hi Lablover,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there are many good dog trainers and very few great ones in Australia. In fact I could probably count great dog trainers on my fingers and toes. Being a instructor with the NDTF I have seen almost a thousand students go through the course and perhaps 10 of those have stood out with less than half of those living up to my expectations.

You either have it or you don't, if you don't you have many years of hard work ahead of you and if you do, you run the risk of becomming lazy and complacent.