Cav Problem

katzz

i have a male cavalier who wees on his front legs, i dont know how to stop this!!!!

he likes to mark the grass and the cement, although we have quite alot of tress that he could use he chosses not to.

ANY IDEAS???? :whisper:

How old is your cav?

Does he purposely aim and wee on his front paws?

Perhaps bring him to the tree area where you want him to wee and give him lots of praise when he does.

Edited by cleo

My cav is just over 1yrs still a pup! thought he would grow out of it, but now that we have found that it is because he wees on the grass and cement i cant see him growing out of it!!!

We prasie him when he does go at the trees but as soon as i turn my back he is weeing on the grass again i say no but he just doesnt seem to get. we have thought about putting a doggy rain coat on him when he goes out, just havent found one!!!

:bottom:

My boy is not desexed. when he was a pup he squated and was fine but from about 6months he started to lift his leg and the wee on the leg started at the same time.

can you get doggy rain coats? might help until he stops!

I have a 4 year old entire Cav boy.

The only thing that has helped in the past was to get the boys outside before their bladders were over-full, lowers the pressure a bit.

My boy prefers to cock his leg on the most interesting smell he can find, usually on a bush or tree. Maybe your grass smells better than the trees :-)

Baby wipes by the door make for a quick clean up of wet legs.

Have fun.

Most males will over wee another dog so try taking him out to where a lot of dogs go and take him to the spots where males have left their scent. They cock their legs to get the scent higher making them more attractive to the females. Mayeb he just isn't mature enough to be challenging others for the highest mark.

I have a toy poodle who constantly used to wee on his front legs/pom poms. Most annoying when he was showing. We used plastic bags cut up and tied around his front legs but you can now buy these plastic things that go on their legs like leg warmers. Not sure what you would call them though. I have seen standard poodles wearing them before they go into the show ring.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought my pup was the only one to wee on his front leg. At 3mths he started to cock his leg and now at 8mths old he mostly cocks his leg against a bush, tree, post, low lying branch, etc and does the odd squat, either way he still hits his front leg. I can always tell when he's done a wee because he licks his leg. It's funny to watch when he doesn't get his balance on 3 legs ;)

We have had 3 cavies, the ones we now have are 9 yrs and the other is 12 months old... They all pee on the grass and cement. The older one started to pee on trees and lift his leg only out on walks when he was 7yrs old. But will not do it at home (except when we got the new dog and he started to lift his leg to pee on him) :rofl: (we put a stop to that) Maybe a cavie thing.