How Many Mg Of Fish Oil

I am just wondering how much fish oil to give Dakota? He is 11 weeks old Staffordshire Bull Terrier he is 6kg and I have

1000mg fish oil tablets, so I am wondering how many do I give him per day.

He is also having linseed oil in his breakfast but only a capful. When I run out of the capsuls I will of course be buying the fish oil liquid which will be much easier :laugh:

We work on 1 capsule per 10kgs of body weight plus the all important Vit E every 2nd day.

See below information...

"Fish oil is one of my favorite supplements for a variety of problems in both dogs and cats. As you mentioned, even normal pets can benefit from improved haircoats when supplemented with fatty acids such as fish oil. In pets, fish oil is useful for reducing inflammation in pets with allergic skin disease and kidney failure. It possibly also helps pets with heart disease and osteoarthritis. Studies show that pets fed high doses of fish oil also have better control of cancer. Extra vitamin E is needed when giving fish oil on a regular basis as fish oil supplemented for many months can lower vitamin E levels (most fish oil supplements contain additional vitamin E for this reason.) Side effects are very rare using fish oil. In my practice, a very few number of dogs develop a fishy smell. Fish oil may decrease platelet aggregation and prolong bleeding time. Pets taking high doses (3-4 times the label dose or greater) should be monitored for bleeding disorders, although I have not seen this even with these larger doses. There is concern about environmental contamination of fish oil with toxins. Studies have shown that fish meat (not oil) may be contaminated with methylmercury."

Dr. Shawn Messonnier

Edited by sas

We work on 1 capsule per 10kgs of body weight plus the all important Vit E every 2nd day.

See below information...

"Fish oil is one of my favorite supplements for a variety of problems in both dogs and cats. As you mentioned, even normal pets can benefit from improved haircoats when supplemented with fatty acids such as fish oil. In pets, fish oil is useful for reducing inflammation in pets with allergic skin disease and kidney failure. It possibly also helps pets with heart disease and osteoarthritis. Studies show that pets fed high doses of fish oil also have better control of cancer. Extra vitamin E is needed when giving fish oil on a regular basis as fish oil supplemented for many months can lower vitamin E levels (most fish oil supplements contain additional vitamin E for this reason.) Side effects are very rare using fish oil. In my practice, a very few number of dogs develop a fishy smell. Fish oil may decrease platelet aggregation and prolong bleeding time. Pets taking high doses (3-4 times the label dose or greater) should be monitored for bleeding disorders, although I have not seen this even with these larger doses. There is concern about environmental contamination of fish oil with toxins. Studies have shown that fish meat (not oil) may be contaminated with methylmercury."

Dr. Shawn Messonnier

Ok so would I need to also add vitamin E when I am using "natures own odourless fish oil"?

I give 3 x 1,000mg Fish Oil capsules per dog daily (1,000mg per 10kg bodyweight). I just add the capsules to their dinner bowl and they eat them whole.

I also give them 1 x 500mg Vit E capsule every second day.

Hope this helps :laugh:

Yep, basically 1000mg per 10 kg but I give all my dogs up to 10kgs a 1000mg dose :rainbowbridge: The 25kilo dog gets 3 x 1000mg capsules. The dogs also get canned oily fish (sardines) at least twice sometimes 3 times a week.

My boy gets one capsule of Maxepa 1000 plus Glucosamine with condroitin 1 capsule a day (for arthritis and for his skin)

The vet said half what we give for humans should be fine for my dog (7kg) :rainbowbridge: