Dog Bowls...

ReXy

I use a plastic ice-cream container for their water bowl in the kitchen and ceramic ones for their bathroom and outside. They use stainless bowls for food but i'm thinking about investing in either a snood or cocker bowls for their food (I still haven't decided :laugh: ) I know I should have decided by now but every single time i have extra money to spend, i spend it on treats and toys for them :eek: instead of something useful for them :o

Oops. I must be lazy. Jack licks out every bit of his plastic food bowl, and I have never washed his Buster cube. :o

His water bowls (s/steel) get washed to keep algae at bay, and because the birds bathe in one of them in particular.

But with his food bowl, unless the ants have got at it, I leave it. I wash it before taking it somewhere else, of course, like a weekend away together. But at home, he licks it clean.

I figure if he's not concerned about eating cow manure from the garden, or chomping on an ant-covered, compost-covered recreational bone then why should I waste water cleaning his bowl?

Guest Piximatosis

My guys have stainless steel food bowls... a ceramic water bowl for inside... and a big plastic bowl for outside.

The outside bowl is never cleaned unless it grows algae. It gets refilled every morning and I blast out any old water with the hose... but that's it.

The inside water bowl gets a quick wipe around with some detergent maybe once a week or so...

Their food bowls... hmm. Yeah, they would be cleaned after each meal that they are used for... but they rarely use them! They eat their lamb brisket in the dirt outside... and I'll often just plop their chicken mince down on the concrete. It's gone in milliseconds anyway :o

Oops. I must be lazy. ... But with his food bowl, unless the ants have got at it, I leave it.

I don't think "lazy" is the word, Mooper. I don't wash Kal's stainless steel food bowl that regularly either. She's generally very good at licking up every last bit she can find, finishing up by snuffling around the edges and outside for any pieces that might have 'escaped'.

When she's done, she will come out and wonder around .... check me out to see if I have anything else for her, and periodically wander back to her bowl just to make sure she got the lot. I have gone to clean her bowl after she's eaten, but then felt rotten about taking away the small joy she gets when she does find the odd rolled oat flake or whatever that escaped her attention the last time.

I mainly clean her food bowl when I have people coming around and/or when I've given the laundry (which is Kal's "food" room) a good scrub and clean out. A scrubbed out bowl just adds that 'finishing' touch. :o

Water bowls (indoors and outdoors) are both pottery types (ceramic seals). The outdoor type is a large one - excellent as it helps to keep the water cooler in summer and stores a good supply of water.

Very occasionally I wash them out with detergent, but I usually just rub around with a cloth and/or my hand to remove 'skum' and give it a good rinse with clear water. I'm sure they must be able to smell/taste the detergent used for cleaning it, even if they don't seem to be too put off by it. If there is algae growing on the inside of the outdoor one, I often scoop up some dirt from the garden and scrub that around the sides and bottom - dirt works as an abrasive and removes the algae easily. It's an "all natural" method too. :laugh: I used to do this to the horse troughs (bath tubs) out in the horse paddocks, way back when. Saved trampsing all the way back to the house for cleaning gear - I could simply attend to the job as soon as I saw it was required.

Edited by Erny

I have stainless steel bowls for my pair...but the bowls are licked clean clean clean - no matter what has been put in it. They only get washed if there is something left in it...but since that hasn't happened yet...they haven't been cleaned :laugh:
Oops. I must be lazy. Jack licks out every bit of his plastic food bowl, and I have never washed his Buster cube. :eek:
My guys have stainless steel food bowls... a ceramic water bowl for inside... and a big plastic bowl for outside.

The outside bowl is never cleaned unless it grows algae. It gets refilled every morning and I blast out any old water with the hose... but that's it.

The inside water bowl gets a quick wipe around with some detergent maybe once a week or so...

Their food bowls... hmm. Yeah, they would be cleaned after each meal that they are used for... but they rarely use them! They eat their lamb brisket in the dirt outside... and I'll often just plop their chicken mince down on the concrete. It's gone in milliseconds anyway :o

Thank god!! I was sitting here thinking i was a bad mother!!

Have to say i am the same a pix - i refil the water every morning, bowls dont get washed, inside water bowl washed once a week - and most of the time the food goes on the ground :mad

I can't stand the thought of ants, roaches or other creepy crawlies!

My boy has stainless steel food and water bowls. Within 5 minutes of him finishing a meal the food bowl is taken up and rinsed under boiling water, covered in detergent, scrubbed under hot water, rinsed again in boiling water then upturned on the drying rack. And because the steel is hot from the water, it dries in a matter of minutes. Chomsky's water bowl goes through the same treatment once a day.

Ooh, Erny, I like the dirt-swishing idea! Given how much Jack loves to snuffle through a bit of freshly dug-in compost, I think that would add to the taste sensation :rofl:

:rofl: I do rinse the dirt away after I've used it as a scrub, mind. (Just in case you thought otherwise.) :rofl: