How Much Glucosamine To Give?

I have a question: How much glucosamine can be given to a healthy, 32kg 1 year old puppy. We do it at the moment as I heard it is beneficial even with healthy dogs, we give him 1 tablet every 2-3 days. I heard that 1g is OK, I dont know if that is true or not.

Glucosamine + Chondroitin is the best - think the brand I used was MGM or something similar - available at health food stores in powder form. Used for an older, arthritic dog though, so not sure of dosages for younger dogs. The Chondroitin acts to absorb the Glucosamine into the system better.

S:-)

I've always heard that not taking enough glucosamine will have no benefits. With that in mind, I use a liquid form of glucosamine HCl and follow the instructions on the bottle. My dog is 10 and was walking a bit "stiffly". The vet diagnosed arthritis. He recommended glucosamine and I started with pills, but what a nightmare..she knew what I was doing, even crushing in food. I switched to the liquid form and she actually LIKES it. Go figure. Anyway, after about 5 months, I have seen a considerable improvement. Sassy moves better. I follow the recommended dosages on the bottle and that seems to be doing the job.

So, in reply to your question, you should follow what the label says....if the glucosamine is packaged for humans, you may have to calculate your dosage based on body weight, but I think that the stuff should be given daily in the correct dose, not every couple of days. I think, with the pills, it was 30-40kg you use 1,000mg/day (500mg AM and 500mg PM), but that was a pet formulation of glucosamine. You may want to check with your vet, if unsure.

Our boy is 25kg and he gets 1000mg glucosamine, 800mg chondroitin sulfate and 100mg MSM every day, this is the maintenance dose. We use Joint Guard as it is roughly the same price as the human ones from the health food shops that also contains MSM, but it has been designed for dogs so we can be sure they are getting the right dose.

I thought the chondroitin sulfate was to stop the cartilage from breaking down, not for absorption??? Thats the reason I use it in the first place as I use it as a preventative :thumbsup: Its what my vet told me anyway!

Ok so we got the dose right, at least. When he was very young we used to give it to him every day for 2-3 months, but then I freaked out as they were human ones and I was reading someting about vits, anyway, I thought I stop giving it to him every day. But, given that you all use about the same dose every day, must be good. Thanks heaps. yes, the ones that we use also have chondroitin sulfate, I think they all do these days, I have no idea what it does....... :thumbsup::) .

I get the Nutralife stuff, it is glucasmine/chondroiton/MSM and it's at the health food store. I give both dogs 1 heaped tsp each night

I use the same stuff, Shek - I roughly scaled down the dose, and mine get a bit over a teaspoon for Fergus (18.4kg) and a bit under for Kirra (14.2kg) sprinkled on their dinner each night. They gobble it up with no problems.

I'm using this on my 4 year olds as a preventative, since my guys do agility and flyball, and do it full on. I find glucosamine really helpful for me - from what I've read, it is the repairing part, and the chondroitin is primarily preventative, while the MSM enhances the action of both.

(We missed you and Daegon on Sunday. Hope you're OK.)

I had Kal on Glucosamine for a period of time. Her chiropracter advised to give her one tablet per day. The brand I used was "Micro Genics" Glucosamine 1500, Chondroitin Complex. This was for a 31kg Rhodesian Ridgeback.

My Vet, who is also a Masters in Chiro, recommends Glucosamine Hydrochloride over the Glucosamine Sulfate as it is less likely to cause upset tummies.

As for dosage she recommends 500mg a day for everyday use , of course this dose would increase if there was a health issue being treated.

My vet advised that I give my elderly Great Dane 1500mg of Glucosamine per day. He is a 60kg dog. I also started giving my other dogs the same stuff as they do flyball etc and I wanted to prevent damage being done. 35kg boy gets 100mg and 18 and 20kg girls get 500mg daily.

I use a brand that has the glucosamine in a capsule with fish oil. the dogs like them and act as if they are getting a treat. Each capsule is 500mg. I think it is natures own. I'll check when I get home.

Jo

I use the same stuff, Shek - I roughly scaled down the dose, and mine get a bit over a teaspoon for Fergus (18.4kg) and a bit under for Kirra (14.2kg) sprinkled on their dinner each night. They gobble it up with no problems.

I'm using this on my 4 year olds as a preventative, since my guys do agility and flyball, and do it full on. I find glucosamine really helpful for me - from what I've read, it is the repairing part, and the chondroitin is primarily preventative, while the MSM enhances the action of both.

(We missed you and Daegon on Sunday. Hope you're OK.)

I've only just started feeding it to my guys as a preventative so I will be upping the dose slowly till I get to nearly 2tsp each night.

Daegon and I couldn't get to training on Sunday as Katinka went away for the day and I don't have any other way to get there. Will hopefully be there this week...although on the calendar I was given it says there are no classes this weekend? :thumbsup:

Ok so we got the dose right, at least. When he was very young we used to give it to him every day for 2-3 months, but then I freaked out as they were human ones and I was reading someting about vits, anyway, I thought I stop giving it to him every day. But, given that you all use about the same dose every day, must be good. Thanks heaps. yes, the ones that we use also have chondroitin sulfate, I think they all do these days, I have no idea what it does....... :thumbsup::) .

I also have my two black lab boys on Joint Guard - started them just over a week ago after switching over from Sashas Blend.

I found the following info online when I was researching this product a few weeks back and it covers the issue of how Glucosamine and Chondroitin work and info on glucosamine hydrochloride vs sulfate:

We have just launched a new joint product that contains glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate as well as other important co-factors, and is the only dog joint health product that also contains MSM. The product is called Joint Guard for Dogs and has been specially formulated for dogs, so the ratio of glucosamine to chondroitin sulfate is ideal, whereas the human products have been formulated for humans who require a different ratio.We also studied whether glucosamine hydrochloride or sulfate is better for dogs and the hydrochloride form is much better absorbed, this may be different in humans but in dogs hydrochloride is the way to go. It is also important for maximum effect to have almost equal amounts of glucosamine to chondroitin in dogs. Chondroitin is a very expensive ingredient so you will find the cheaper products to have much less, Joint Guard for Dogs has 1000mg glucosamine and 800mg Chondroitin sulfate per scoop (it is in a powder form).Be wary of any of the marine-based products, they do not contain purified glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate, in fact they contain very little at all, just read the label, and because they have not been purified they are in fact extremely large molecules that are difficult for your dog's body to absorb. A study was done on this and showed only 0-8% of the GAGs found in green lipped mussel were actually absorbed!

Chondrotin facilitates the entry of glucosamine into the joint, whilst glucosamine helps rebuild cartilage & synovial fluid within the joint and reduces the inflammation in the joints, reducing swelling and pain.

Glucosamine hydrochloride – a key nutrient that acts as the building block of cartilage to help reconstruct the damaged joints as well as keeping the remaining cartilage cells healthy and functioning properly. The glucosamine found in Joint Guard is guaranteed to be 99% pure, so you can be assured your dog is getting the best possible source.

Chondroitin sulfate – is a major component of normal cartilage and also blocks the enzymes that break down cartilage. This is a unique easy-to-absorb form of chondroitin sulfate so your dog gets the maximum protection against cartilage destruction.

Joint Guard also contains other ingredients such as MSM and vitamins and minerals which act as antioxidants to maintain healthy bone and cartilage.

O/T for Shek

Oh - I thought this coming Sunday was a yes, but the following one (29th) there would be no classes because of obedience grading. I'll be doing some tracking training with Jody on Friday, so I'll try to remember to ask her, and PM you.

Sorry for the deviation - now back to normal transmission.....

O/T again, sorry guys :)

My calendar goes from the 9th to the 30th with no classes in between...very odd :thumbsup:

Is the tracking training held in the same place?? I would LOVE to get my guys into that, I enquired about it some time ago actually but didn't have the transport. I *may* have someone who could get me there on a Friday.

Max, my 6 month old chow was diagnosed witha slight fratured chondroid process (FCP) last month and the vet wanted to operate on her elbow and shorten one of the bones. my breeder had advised against such an operation at his age and another vet has advised for us to wait as Max may heal. He is actiually much better now and show no duress at all. He is on Royal Canin that has glucosamine in it. Should I supplement him with something like Joint Guard to help strengthen his joint? If so how much should I give him?

Hi Paddington

How big is your chow? I have my tub of Joint Guard here with the dose rate so I can let you know how much to give.

I think it would be a great idea to supplement Max's joints, and as these are natural products even if it doesnt help it certainly wont do any harm if you are using the maintenance dose :D