I Can Not Get Her To Eat...

Our mutt (troller x assuie) is now 12-13 and will not eat! She will only eat a cup of dog food a day. She is lossing weight over night and is becoming very 'down'. The vet checked her a few weeks ago and said she was health...We have tried everything to make her eat or atleast gain weight but so for all of our efferts have failed and she is really starting to scare me....So any suggestions on how to get her to eat or faten her up will be a blessing.

What are you currently feeding her? Dry? Wet? Meat?

To "fatten her up" you need fatty foods. Will she eat/lick cream, cream cheese, egg, ice cream, cheese? Also, there's veterinary products like Nutrigel, Omega 3 etc.

I personally use "Weaner" Barf diet which is manufactured & sold at www.bigdogpetfoods.com I also Add a product called "Sprint Oil" to the dogs diet, which is high is Omega 3 & 6.

If you're really worried, take her back to the vet, and check weight, and book in for consult.

-WithEverythingIAm

Have you had her teeth and gums checked? Sometimes gum disease makes chewing painful for older dogs and discourages them from eating.

The vet said she has great teeth for an old dog..

Im just really worried she has liver cancer....her daughter which we also owned died almost a year ago due to liver cancer and showd all the signs that our girl Lucky is showing now...

it is mostly water and lacking in a lot of protein, one reason why she won't be gaining weight, because she is basically just getting water, with artificial flavours and additives.

Its like a Mcdonalds diets for us, except it wont make her fat, it does nothing for her at all, except making her unhealthy.

Edited by mickatie

An ideal diet for her would be....

Sardines,

Fresh raw mince either chicken or other meats.

Yoghurt - if she will have it

egg or two a week

a little bit of kibble but only soaked.

some fish oil tabs

add some cheese or something to fatten her up a bit.

Did the Vet do blood tests to rule out liver and kidney problems?

My old Kelpie lost a lot of weight and was off her food and finally when the vet did blood tests she has liver enzymes off the scale.

She also has bad arthritis all over but especially in her shoulder and lowering her head into her food bowl obviously was painful. I raised her bowl up on a phone book and that helped.

I also feed Tess very easy to digest food. Cooked fish, veggies and rice, and whiz it through the food processor to help digestion. Sounds stupid I know but works for us.

Just throwing out a few ideas.

An ideal diet for her would be....

Sardines,

Fresh raw mince either chicken or other meats.

Yoghurt - if she will have it

egg or two a week

a little bit of kibble but only soaked.

some fish oil tabs

add some cheese or something to fatten her up a bit.

We are slowly changing her over to a brand of dog food that has fish oil in it. (Its what we use to fatten up the saluki)

ETA: Thank you SO much mickatie for all the advice.

Edited by my_sibe_owns_me

Did the Vet do blood tests to rule out liver and kidney problems?

My old Kelpie lost a lot of weight and was off her food and finally when the vet did blood tests she has liver enzymes off the scale.

She also has bad arthritis all over but especially in her shoulder and lowering her head into her food bowl obviously was painful. I raised her bowl up on a phone book and that helped.

I also feed Tess very easy to digest food. Cooked fish, veggies and rice, and whiz it through the food processor to help digestion. Sounds stupid I know but works for us.

Just throwing out a few ideas.

They did do a blood test a but fond nothing...but that is what they told us about my girl who a month later we found out had advance liver cancer and even on meds would only have a month at the most to live..

But will try raiseing up her food! Thank you.

Also try warming her food in the microwave for 10 seconds or so. Mine won't eat food cold out of the fridge and neither would I.

I would be asking Vet for full bloods to be done- checking enzyme levels etc and also give her teeth and gums a good check out too.

Something is a miss and you will have to be insistent with the Vet to get answers