Hand Signal For Drop On Recall

Hi SM, I use the arm straight up for a drop on recall hand signal. I prefer this as it is a nice clear signal for when the dog is away at a distance from me and is not easily confused with any other hand signal.

I'm sure you'll get other very good suggestions as well.

Have you thought about whistle commands as well??? You don't necessary need hand signals, you can certainly use noise signals if you're running out of arms !!

Some people use whistles in herding and that's a classic example of directing a dog whilst off lead - doesn't necessary have to be limited to herding only.

No whistles in trialling, I use this. Standing facing the dog, raise your arm towards the front of you above your head & then at arms length bring it down to the side (ie in line with your body or 90 degrees to the way you are facing) until your hand is at hip height with the palm facing the ground. Hope that makes sense. Very obvious once you have seen it.

Hand signals especially at a distance are always best if they are clear to the dog - ie not in front of your body like the "stop" commend would be. With your body behind your hand it makes it more difficult for the dog to see it.

Recall I use both hands hanging beside your body, directly upward from the side of the body to over the head & back down again (once again, the easiest for the dog to see).

Stand is left hand directly from thigh across stopping in front of the dogs face, palm facing the dog parallel to the floor.

Heel is left hand moving parallel to & in time with right leg moving forward.

Stay is left hand directly down in front of dogs face. Wait is the same signal, different verbal.

Finish of the recall is right hand going from middle front to behind the thigh with hand flat & hanging straight down (imagine being in water & trying to push water around from front to back & you will probably get what I mean). If you do the funny dog shuffling around on the left back to heel I guess you would use the left hand, but I dont know what signal (it looks weird to me cos Im not used to it).

Scent articles & seekback I always used to sort of cup my hand in front of the dogs nose then fling my hand out flat towards the mat (sounds really stupid trying to describe it, sorry :swear: ) ummmmm, better explanation, imagine going from a fist to a flat hand (like playing sissors paper rock - this isn't getting any better is it :whip: ) but palm of hand facing the ground out in front of you.

OK I think I will give up now :mad , hope that helps or someone else can give you other suggestions :banghead: .

ETA bit about FoR.

Edited by MrsD

My DOR signal was the same as Mrs Dog's one. Out to the side seemed to be more visible and less 'threatening' than the straight down in front one that some use. I've seen competitors use a double handed signal - starts with forearms crossed in front, then the arms go out (has to be simultaneous) to about waist height (can you see - I'm demonstrating now! :banghead: ). That seems to work quite well too.

If you're heading for UD :swear: you'll also need that drop signal, plus one for sit up from drop, and your normal recall signal.

For UDX, I think you'll need to work on stand from sit and down as well as the others.

TO, mine isnt as extreme as I described either except when I am first teaching it, but I found that was the easiest way to describe it :whip: .

Shoey, yes my sit signal is to the side (like the DoR) palm upwards from the side straight up to just above shoulder height. So imagine a clock, hand goes from the 6 to the 2. The only difference is that I find that I bend my elbow a bit when doing the sit, but arm is straighter in the DoR. Hope all that makes sense.

Do you have to do a stand from anything in the new rules? I always taught my dogs stand from drop or sit anyway before, for that I have the arm straight down, then bend my elbow so my hand faces the front (imagine a robot arm, god I am shocking at explaining things :banghead: ), then rotate the arm out to the side (so you can see the palm of the hand from the front & the lower arm is parallel to the ground.

As for the time, usually 3 or 4 seconds, depends on the judge, dont always do the same thing so the dog wont anticpate & make him wait for ages between parts, so the exercise is (from the stand) leave your dog, about turn & halt, down your dog, sit your dog, call your dog, finish, but mix it up so do a drop, sit, drop, return or drop, recall etc. If the dog anticipates the command I think its a substantial deduction (up to 50%!) so best to mix it up when teaching it so th dog actually listens to what you ask, not what it thinks you are going to say :hug: .

Hope you can understand all this, much easier to show in person :mad .

(I'm going to have to change my name I think otherwise the real MrsDog will start being p*ssed off that everyone thinks I am her :swear: )

TO, mine isnt as extreme as I described either except when I am first teaching it, but I found that was the easiest way to describe it :swear: .

Ahh i see, how big is your movement now?

I know extreme isnt the right word i just cant spell exaggorated right :banghead: ETA still cant!!

Edited by tollersowned