Post-puppy Blues?!

Whippy

beagleover I have to tell you as a beagle breeder I will do much to talk people out of taking two pups at a time . Especially out of one litter.

If you send me an email [email protected]

I can send you an article on raising multi dogs.

Its really important to understand that beagles have some special needs when they are reared together and

the least you interfer the better. Im much happier to send home one and then 6 months later the second rather than do it the way you have chosen but there are some things you can do to make life easier.

Julie

Whippy Perhaps if you can be more specific about exactly whats happening I can help

Julie

Thank you. It's difficult now to explain exactly why I was feeling how I was feeling. I really think it was because I was getting up so much in the night - I was therefore really knackered (that plus three young kids) and hence I was not enjoying her in the day time. She is now sleeping in the laundry and cries a bit when we close the door and if she hears anyone up in the night, but I am not going to her at all. I also don't get up to take her out to wee during the night anymore. She normally does one or two wees but i put down paper and she does them there. During the day I am in better spirits now, and she herself is really settling down and becoming a real character. I can't believe I wanted to give her back........I really love her now and I love seeing her with the kids. I just am counting down the days until she can go out now. I am sure there will difficult days ahead, and chewing etc etc, but it now thankfully feels like it will be worth it. So in answer to your question, I don't think there are any specific problems I can mention, just the normal things which I feel I am doing the right things for anyway. Puppy school definitely helped too.

Hi Whippy,

Have you thought of crate training your pup? That way, you've got a safe place you can leave her while you have to do other things. You give her with toys etc in the crate to keep her amused, and she learns to have some quiet time on her own, and you dont need to worry about watching her every second of the day! There are quite a few good crate training books around ...

I went through exactly the same thing. I woke up one morning after two weeks with only three hours sleep a night, burst into tears and told my partner we would have to put her up for adoption. Five minutes later she was licking my tears away and 18 months later I can't imagine life without her. She is the happiest, cutest, well-behaved Lab you could imagine! I wouldn't give her up for the world.

I was also saying "no" to Molly every two minutes and felt awful. But I got put on to a dog trainer who used only positive methods and it made all the difference. I would really recommend going down that path.

Good luck! Tanya

Beaglelover,

I bought my two Jack Russell Terriers at the same time. (1 male, 1 female) They were the same age (3 days apart) but from different litters. I was living alone at the time in a town where I had no family or friends (had just moved there for work) and I honestly found it very difficult.

My advice to you is while they may be good company for each other, the trouble that they can get into while left only does not only increase by twofold but much worse. Instead of having one naughty puppy mind to think up naughty things to do there are two and of course two naughty puppies to do two times the damage!!!

So make sure that you invest in a good crate or leave them in a very puppy secure place while you are out. Also I find that while my two generally do get along very well, they do benefit from some time alone as I find they do get a little snappy if they are together all the time.

Needless to say, I stuck out and they are now nearly 2 years old and I couldnt be without them.

Good luck!!!

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you now Whippy :rofl:

I have to say, I have been very lucky with my two. My girl we got as an adult, so we didnt have the puppy problems with her, except toilet training, as she obviously had not been a house dog before we adopted her...

My boy we got at 8 weeks old, and from day one has been (mostly) a treasure. I was a bit naughty tho, and from day 1 he slept in my bed, but ever since the first night home, he slept through the whole night without a peep! He never really destroyed much, and never really whined unless we left him alone, but that generally settled by the time we were out the door. He is now 6 months old, and the only issue I have is that he is now teething so anything chewable is fair game. But I have learned to keep everything out of reach that I want to keep intact :rofl:

He still does normal naughty puppy stuff, but its pretty tame. I have discovered that I have been very lucky with him after reading some other posts...

Each day becomes more and more joyous to have the little ones around, and there will be days when she will do something that is not quite allowed,but you will find that sometimes all you can do is laugh, especially when they give you that look.

Make sure you post up some photos of your little girl too, we would all love to see her :rofl:

Hi Whipey,

yep we wanted to give our amstaff boy back as well, and we do not have any kids.... He is 12 months now and we are looking forward to getting another pup in few months time. I see you are figuring out that "can we give it back" stage does not last very long.

I do have to say that crates are THE BEST thing in the world, I am so glad breeder recomended getting one...

You have to have your eye on them all the time so crates are wonderful way of giving yourself a break from the dog without worrying about them.

Good luck, hopefully you are through your worst. :cry::)

Glad to hear things have settled down. I have had my new puppy for almost 5 weeks, and I can honestly say within my first 5 days I was wondering what I had done despite all my preparation before hand. Going to puppy school was great - and I know there will be lots of differing opinions on this, but they advised me it was fine to take her to off the leash parks. This was great to get me out of the house and get her meeting other dogs and speaking to fellow dog owners. It has also meant she is confident when it comes to meeting other people and dogs. I don't have kids - so I reckon you are a star raising a pup and 3 kids!

Have you thought of crate training your pup? That way, you've got a safe place you can leave her while you have to do other things. You give her with toys etc in the crate to keep her amused, and she learns to have some quiet time on her own, and you dont need to worry about watching her every second of the day! There are quite a few good crate training books around ...

Could someone do a "10 things you must know about crate training" and have it posted as a sticky? Like the two that Kojak has done already? That would be a great help to those of us just learning about crate training.