Puppy Growling When Cuddled

Livi

Our rescue pup (16wks) has started growling at both my daughter (8yo) and hubby when they have given her a cuddle.

This has only been in the past day.

I'm a bit perplexed as she will happily obey commands from anyone in the house (come/sit/drop) and is not food aggressive, doesn't display any dominant behaviour I can see :laugh:

She is a pup who seems to like her 'personal space' as opposed to our Dobe who is a 35kg lap dog :(

I've had a chat to the family and told them she obviously isn't comfortable being hugged and am planning on making sure everyone does a couple of minutes obedience with her daily (in case she is 'testing' the other family members to see if she can get one up on someone ??)

Any advice from the experts will be much appreciated, I don't want to go into panic mode but I don't like a dog growling at people :vomit:

*not that it matters I suppose but she is believed to be a BCxGSD*

Some dogs like their personal space. Zoe does not like to be cuddled, if you try she will look like you are molesting her and does not relax. She has improved and now tolerates it but does not like it. Probably has to do with feeling confined and unable to get away :( I would work with it slowly, maybe use some food.

Thanks Kavik, I thought it might be that (feeling confined/threatened).

Will make sure the kids don't try to cuddle her, get them involved in other ways of intereacting and slowly get her more comfortable.

I maybe should have posted this in the training/behaviour section ?

You are correct showdog in that these have been 'over the top' cuddles, but I guess my question is, should I be training the dog or the humans to prevent future problems from this behaviour ??

My instinct is to say "she doesn't like you doing that...so don't bloody do it !!!!" but I don't want to ignore what could be a problem in the future....

Train both the people and the dog :scold:

Try to tone down the cuddles and teach the dog that there is nothing threatening about them (which will require toning down the cuddles anyway).

Zoe now comes for a tummy rub and a pat, but prefers not to be on laps.

sunny70 my first ever post here on DOL was about this very thing with my rottweiler pup.

I had people telling me he had agression issues, told not to cuddle him as rotty's hate cuddles.

Best bit of advice was to go and have him checked by a dog pyhsio. I did this and they found his back leg was hurt hence everytime I cuddled him , he growled as it hurt him.

It was fixed and now he is the most passive dog who cannot get enough cuddles.

GR

Just an update.

Jess is going really well, she will come and sit for my daughter, rolls over for tummy rubs and they are getting along beautifully.

I was watching them the other day, Jess happily goes up to child, child pats her, puppy steps backwards, child leans over to grab her, puppy's tail goes between legs, I bring it all to a swift halt.

So we have had a good chat, I explained that she was unintentionally scaring Jess, that is why she growls. She has been really good (child) with the rule that when puppy backs off she has to let her, coax her back with a gentle happy voice but DO NOT chase or grab at her..so far so good :p

Kids sometimes just dont get it about hugging dogs :eek: My 11 year old son always hugs my dogs with big hugs and last nite Ty growled at him. I think thats why kids get bitten cause they just dont understand that dogs will find see it as threatening behaviour. We had a big talk today and hopefully he will understand (the son that is) :p

My 12.5yr old girl has always hated being cuddled or fussed over. If she wants a pat she will come and lean on my leg. I can then pick her up and have a couple of minutes smooge then she wants to get down and says 'that's enough!' This rarely happens, maybe once a week at most. She definitely would not be a children's dog. Guess some dogs can be like people and not be 'into' cuddling.