Kennel Cough

Went to a show last weekend with two of my dogs, but last night my boy started to have a hacking cough so took him to the vets to be told he had kennel cough :rofl: so just have to keep an eye on the rest here & keep those seperated from the sick boy.

My vet also said another dog who went to the same show was in yesterday with the same problem, & also some greyhound kennels it has gone through down here in Tassie, so just warning people to be careful at the moment, needless to say we won't be going anywhere. :rofl:

Am hoping who ever gave it to my dogs didn't go to the show knowing that their dog had it

Also anyone know how long it normally stays about?? mine are all vaccinated etc, & Scandal is on antibiotics so am hoping he can shake it off soon.

:offtopic: Will say it is worse than snoring,nothing like being woken up with a nosiy cough.

Andrea, The Aussies, The Ponies

:rofl::rofl::rofl: :D

Thanks Andrea, I thought I heard a dog coughing on the w/end. Unfortantley I didn't think anything more of it!! ;) My bad :laugh:

Luckily my little girl hasn't (touch wood) shown any symptoms. But I will mention it a training tonight! :) Plus keeping an eye & ear on my guys :D

It is also going about in WA at the moment.

Mine have all picked it up (or at least my pup did very mildly and then she passed it on to the others in a worse form!) They are all currently in quarantine until a week after the last one stops coughing! None of them are on antibiotics though and it is only lasting between 12 and 36 hours from first symptoms in my dogs a friend's dogs had the cough for about a week though :laugh:

Vaccinations don't stop it as there are many bugs (can't remember if it is viral or bacterial!) that can cause it. A C5 vaccination only covers dogs for the three more severe forms. Or at least that is what I have been told.

Hey Andrea,

Sorry to here you have KC at home, it's such a pain - speedy rrecovery wishes to your guys and hope it doesn't go through everyone. We had over 12 months ago, only affected one dog thankfull and like you all ours run together.

Am hoping who ever gave it to my dogs didn't go to the show knowing that their dog had it

Of course the person knew! A ribbon is far more important than preventing everyone else's dogs from contracting it!

Also anyone know how long it normally stays about?? mine are all vaccinated etc, & Scandal is on antibiotics so am hoping he can shake it off soon.

There are so many different strains I found that the Benadryl cough syrup helped alot I think we had returned to normal within a week - he only had a light strain (he was up to date with vaccinations too) - there are just so many different strains and you can't vaccinate against them all.

Huigs to all your fur kids :laugh:

Edited by AZIAH

Andrea

My little girl started coming down with KC last thursday, a week after staying at the vets for a day to have a cyst removed.

She started Coughing the Thursday morning, put onto anti-biotics and cough medicine Thursday night. Started coughing more on Friday and was aboslutely shocking on Saturday/Saturday Night. Sunday she started coming good. Now she only coughs if she gets overly excited. Touch wood! My male dog hasn't got it yet.

Let us know how she goes.

Dani

Edited by Goosey~Gander

Hi Andrea,

One of Koolie's best buddies (who is fully vaccinated) may have contracted KC too (vet wasn't 100% certain yesterday) - so it definitely seems like it's doing the rounds in Tas at the moment.

Licks from Koolie to Scandal and hope that he's feeling much better soon.

Cheers,

Catherine

Hi Andrea - that's a bummer - poor Scandal, and poor you.

Yes, it's definitely around - one of the boarding kennels was closed the week before last because of it. And a friend's dog had a light dose - only lasted a couple of days (he was UTD on shots), and luckily her girl didn't get it.

Hope the boy feels better soon.

I think KC is just the common cold of dogs - it "does the rounds" constantly and is always about!

Keep your dogs healthy with regular vitamin C to strengthen their immune system.

I've had really good results with Homeopathic drops (I've posted about this before on here).

ETA Ravensmyst a lot of dogs get viral kennel cough regardless of whether they've been vaccinated or not. The vaccination only covers certain strains - it doesn't cover them all.

Edited by blacklabrador

My dogs are on C5 and they got it. It only lasted 6-48 hours in the three of ours under 5 years old. The two 10 year olds have been coughing for 3 days so will be going to the vet tonight. Luckily (amazingly!) our "old" 12 year old girl hasn't caught it yet!

The vet told me this morning that it is transmitted by air (similar to humans with colds) and dogs can only get it if they are in close contact (ie. coughed on) by another dog that has the disease...

I'm going to the vet tonight, so shall ask more about it then...there seems to be conflicting advice/thoughts on how it is transmitted...and the incubation period. The vet also said this morning that they've seen heaps of cases in their practice the past few weeks (Hobart).

Thanks for all the well wishes

Sad to think some people think a ribbon is worht more than thier dogs health :eek:

Scandal is a little better, still coughing, though now Millie has it & Fern, so its the sick ward here!! :p

Poor Millie isn't feeling tool good, she is normally flat out playing but is laying about feeling sorry for herself ;)

Fern has it now as well, so she has had her first tablets tonight

Somehow think the pups will get it as they have been running with Fern.

Yes my vet told me tonight a large borading kennel in Tassie has closed for the moemnt due to the outbreak, & they have been flat out with peple bringing dogs dogs in with kennel cough.

For those showing this weekend in Tassie, keep an eye on your dogs!!

Andrea, The Aussies & The Ponies

For those showing this weekend in Tassie, keep an eye on your dogs!!

Can't do much about the dogs who aren't showing symptoms yet. Daegon isn't vaccinated for KC either, he's only got a C3 which is a month late in being updated actually...must get that done as soon as I can get to the vet.

I agree - people are all too happy to try to blame everybody and anybody. The most contagious period of most viruses is the period before the symptoms make themselves known.

Therefore the dog who spreads around the most KC at the show is the one who doesn't have symptoms yet. Most people are responsible - AND it is very difficult to hide a dog with KC at a dog show - the coughing is extreme and is exacerbated by pressure on the throat, (a collar or a lead) and by exertion. A dog with symptoms of KC would be very difficult to show as it would keep having to stop to hack and retch.

Also dogs can be vaccinated with a C4, C5, C6 or C7 and can STILL get KC

Exactly right!!

I do not vaccinate my dogs for KC, with the exception of one who is jointly owned .

Guess which one has had KC several times?? :rolleyes: