Packing Up Toys...

Teebs

awww your house is so orderly Mooper!

Jim on the other hand :rofl: I try to rotate his 30something toys, but he'll go into his toy box and pull every toy out until he gets his giant dumbbell and then proceeds to prance about the room, tossing his head back :) and leaves all the rejected toys around the study.

I did teach him 'tidy' ... I will have to go around to tonight and see if he remembers it.

I have taught my beardie to pack up his toys.

I started by standing him next to the toy box, picking a toy up, dropping it in the the toy box while saying "packup" and then giving him a treat. I did this a few times then moved on to...

handing him the toy and saying "packup". He would drop it and I would pick it up and put it in the box and then reward him. I did this a few times then moved on to...

handing him the toy, telling him packup, and giving his head a gental push in the right direction so when he dropped the toy it fell into the box. If it did there was lots of praise and rewards but if it didn't I just handed the toy to him and started again.

It didn't take long to teach him.

Now, I stand at the bench at dinner time, call out "packup!" and four kids and one beardie pack up all their toys and come to the dinner table. :rofl:

Our basenji will usually take things out as the beardie is putting them away. She is too smart to put things away herself.

• 4 months later...

:thumbsup::scold::rofl:

Diverging from the main topic slightly, although I haven't taught Abby to put things away yet, she will retrieve toys by name eg. 'ball', 'squeaky', 'ropey' etc... doesn't matter if they are in the box, hidden, or just laying around, she will grab the one she is asked to grab.

And people say dogs only have a limited vocabulary!

Cheers,

Annette & Abby

shh, dont bring this thread back! :rolleyes: I havent taught her!

It was driving me mad when I was in a cast and unable to walk, now i am up and about it isnt so bad :rolleyes:

I am such a lazy trainer!

Guest Steph & Bam

I taught my dog bam to get the laundry. Well, he watched me and started doing it, :D completely on his own. He follows me everywhere, runs into my legs when I stop :rofl: and I always said to him "i have to do the laundry now" and he watched me pick up the clothes and put them in the basket (my OH is hopeless, great cook and he does the dishes, but has no idea about putting clothes in the basket, lol) one day he just started helping, he picks up the socks, shirts even tries to help with the sheets but, bless his heart, he gets cranky with them when they won't go in the basket so I ask him to "wait till i'm done" and he promptly sits and stares at me till i say "all done now" it's very cute.

Not sure but if you work out a way to teach kids, patent it and sell it on ebay. I will volunteer my 3 as Guinea Pigs!

Ah....here's something I saw on Today Tonight......if the kids leave stuff on the floor the mum sells it on eBay!

I taught this trick a different way.

Zoe already knows how to hold objects and retrieve from obedience.

I taught her to target the toy box using a clicker, then to put her head in the box. Then I had her hold a toy right over the toy box and put head in box and release. Then I put the toy on the ground next to the box, got her to pick it up, put head in box and release. Gradually I moved the toy further away from the box, and added a sit stay at the front.