Glossy Coat

Bokezu

:rofl: Can anybody suggest a good product to make my dog's coat look really glossy? She has a short coat(Vizsla) and it is in very good condition, but because I'm going to my first Specialty I want it to look really really shiny. Any suggestions? Portia :)

Plush Puppy Shine And Comb is good. Pixie Dust also helps to give it a little bit of "sparkle". Ring 5 have an excellent spray on product which has mink oil in it, that's good too.

You could also up her oil intake in the time leading up to the specialty for that special "inside out" shine. Sardines a few times a week, fish oil capsules, linseed meal added to food would all help.

A dessert spoon of Seabreeze Oil, Baby Oil or another coat oil in about a litre of water, poured over the dog after the final rinse and worked through the coat will make her gleam. (Don't rinse it out) I tried this on one of FHR's Vizsla's once and he virtually glowed!!

Give it a test run though so you get the quantity right - you want a shiny dog, not an oily one. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

:) Thanks ellz,t-time,poodlefan and shekina I appreciate your help. I already feed the sardines every 2-3 days and I think it helps. I will buy some mink oil, but I'm going to try the oil in the final rinse like you suggested poodlefan, just a tiny bit at first to see. I have got Specialty on the Sat and Royal Melbourne on the Tues so I want her in top condition. Its the first Specialty and Royal for her and for me as well so wish us luck. :eek:

hi

sardines are a good source of oil. but depending on how they are cooked in the can, this will greatly reduce the omega 3 oil levels, as omega 3 oils are not that heat stable....

using an omega 3 oil supplement will give you a measured amount of EPA in your omega 3 oil

:) Hi Larry, with the omega 3 oil supplement how much would you be giving and how often? Thanks for your suggestion. Thanks for your good wishes Shek, and congrats for Sat from what I hear you went really well. I was there but I didn't get to see you and Daegon. I hope its the start of a good show career for you both. :eek:

Work from the inside out - teaspoon of livamol a day, it's a coat conditioner, both mine are on it - lab x and rough collie and they look awesome, the collie's coat has never been thicker or softer and the lab x looks like he's been dipped in oil. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for your good wishes Shek, and congrats for Sat from what I hear you went really well. I was there but I didn't get to see you and Daegon. I hope its the start of a good show career for you both. ;)

Thanks! ;)

You will have to come and say hi next time so I know who you are :laugh:

Unfortunately any change in your dogs diet (addition of more omega 3/6's and coat supplement) will take at least 3 weeks to show on the outside so will miss your specialty and royal but will work for future shows :)

The coat preparations, particulary the rinse PF suggested will work very nicely :)

:thumbsup: Hi meganjane, thanks for the info. Where would I buy livamol? Is it for dogs or would I be able to buy it from a chemist/health store?

Livermol is a livestock supplement (I used to use it on my horses), you would buy it at any produce store.

Livamol also helps to enrich colour which would be lovely for a Viszla.

Did you show at Brighton the other weekend? If so, I would have seen you. Speak up next show you go to, I've got the dizzy blonde male American Cocker...you can't miss him! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I will ellz, yes I was there. I got bitch ch. and ru bob. Considering the bob is Gr ch I wasn't too dissapointed. I think I know who you are. Have you got black hair? I won't be at the next show cos I'll be away, but I will be at the one after that, so I'll come and say hello. :D

No, I've got medium brown hair. I was wearing black trousers and a green shirt. Will you be at Hobart Royal? That will be my next show after Combined Breeds. Being a captive audience as we will be I daresay we'll have time to catch up! :thumbsup:

Work from the inside out - teaspoon of livamol a day, it's a coat conditioner, both mine are on it - lab x and rough collie and they look awesome, the collie's coat has never been thicker or softer and the lab x looks like he's been dipped in oil. Highly recommend it

I was going to suggest livamol aswell, especially for red coated dogs :thumbsup:. Horseland and most livestock stores supply it. Goodluck for the show.