Glucosamine Which One To Buy

daccydog

Malamum it's much cheaper to buy Joint Guard online that pet shops or vets I think they advertise on this site.

I bought mine from a feed store and cheaper than off the internet.I was feeding my dog glucosamine sulphate with no ill effects as I used to buy it for $50 a kilo but joint guard is better because it has condroitin

Does Joint Guard have a smell about it? Our collie was on Sasha's blend and she wouldnt touch her dinner cause of the smell,So we might put her on Joint guard if it doesnt have a over-whelming smell?

I think thats because of the powdered green lip mussel and abalone

hi everyone. We use Cosequin DS, its odourless - you pull open the capsule and sprinkle on the food.

CavNrott, you're spot on about Joint Guard and the same applies to Cosequin DS - the molecular structure of the active ingredients is unique and much better absorbed than cheaper products on the market.

Cosequin DS is the gold standard of glucosamine/chondroitin joint supplements and is available from vets (and maybe online too?). I used to work for the company that makes both these products (note 'used to' - I have no hidden agenda for saying they work! :D ) and would highly recommend either as quality products. :o

I have found 'Joint food' (human product) beneficial, it contains Glucosamine hydrochloride, Chondroitin and MSM.

Personally most of the ready made animal products, such as Sasha's blend etc are very expensive.

Buying bulk Glucosamine and MSM is a much cheaper alternative if you have a few dogs to supplement.

Can I ask, for those that give their dog the human form, where do you get the glucosamine & chondroitin from? I could only find tablets at my local chemists & they are HUGE & I can't swallow them :o . I was taking them for a while & since I've gone off them I can hardly get around at times :D so I need to find something easy to take.

I am currently using Nutralife but have since worked out that while it seems heaps cheaper than Joint Guard ($68 per kg compared to $65 per 400g) I need to use 4 times as much of the nutralife compared to the Joint guard to provide the same dose of Gluc, chondroitin and MSM.

Once this tub has run out I will be switching to Joint Guard. I have worked out that the 400g tub of joint guard will last me 60 days longer than a 1kg tub of Nutralife.

Edited by Mornir

Can I ask, for those that give their dog the human form, where do you get the glucosamine & chondroitin from? I could only find tablets at my local chemists & they are HUGE & I can't swallow them :o . I was taking them for a while & since I've gone off them I can hardly get around at times :D so I need to find something easy to take.

Woollies sell Glucosamine tablets and they are the same size as a normal capsule. I started taking it, but probably like you, I have problems with tablets.

Woollies sell Glucosamine tablets and they are the same size as a normal capsule. I started taking it, but probably like you, I have problems with tablets.

Sorry missed this earlier But thanks to Hounder I have now read it :)

I get the the Nutralife one from Natures Works. It is in powdered form and comes in orange flavoured or plain. You can mix it in a drink or mix it up in food :)

Edited by Mornir

Thanx Cavnrott & Mornir I will check it out.

Hounder the ones I have are the Blackmores 1500mg ones & they are HUGE! :) Most of the others I have seen suggest taking 3 x 500mg /day but clever me thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone & buy the 1500mg one/day tablets - only problem is that they are 3 times the size of a normal capsule :o:) .

That's why I thought the powdered form might be better for me.

Edited - sorry I got the wrong brand my glucosamine are Blackmores not Natures Own, Im getting my tablets mixed up :D .

Edited by MrsD

The powder form might be better for me too. I was taking the 500mg 1, 3x a day, so 1 for brekky, 1 for lunch and 1 for tea, but I choke on any tablet. I REALLY hate having a cold cause they are like horse tablets. :o

Yep, sounds like me, I choke on ordinary panadol - not much good for someone who has to take so many tablets a day that sometimes I think I rattle when I walk :D .

Personally I don't like Sasha's Blend. I've seen it cause vomiting and diarrhoea in too many dogs and it is NOT a good idea for dogs with pancreatitis in my experience.

Get a good human grade glucosamine and divide the recommended human dose according to your dog's weight (eg. 12kg - give 1/2 the human dose). Remember that when you first start glucosamine you should give double the dose for 3 weeks, then cut back to the maintenance dose.

Good canine products include Technyflex Canine or Aristopet's Hip & Joint tablets.

I got my guys the aristopet Glucosamine tablets a few days ago, has anyone used them? I am thinking of getting Glucosamine/ Fish oil tabs next time and see how they do on them.

I think it is the weather but Clover has been zooming around at the park the last couple of days where as before she would just wander around and not realy do much, just a coinsidence i think.