Advice For Pain Relief

kymbo

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me here. I have an old doggie (11) who is blind, that went to the vets yesterday morning, in great pain. He has an enlarged prostrate ( that we already knew about and were managing) but it led to his anal glands becoming infected and very painful...the poor fellah could hardly sit :) and had to be muzzled just to clip the hair away. Anyway, after evacuating the glands, he is on antibiotics, and has a cream to sooth the skin inflamation, as the infection spread to the surrounding skin, and he chewed/ licked his scrotal area :eek: . The cream has a local anethetic in it to soothe, but he is pretty distressed tonight, and can't get comfortable, and is whining occassionally...

My question is, can you give dogs panadol at all, or some other human med, to take the edge off. I can get him back to the vets tomorrow, or at least ring them, but I really want something to make him a tad more comfortable now. I hope you guys can help. Thanks, kym

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister was advised by her vet to give nurofen...but I recon each case is different, and her dog was terminal, so as harsh as this sounds, maybe the side effects didn't matter so much as such. I googled, and got conflicting reports about panadol, and was hoping for some experiences here. I won't risk it tho I think....

Anyone know an after hours vet in possibly brisbane that I could ring? I am in the country...

I do know that dogs definitely can't have paracetamol - don't know about any others. There would also be the concern of conflicting with meds he'd been given for his ailment while at the vet.

Sorry I can't suggest anything to help - I know it's very distressing to see loved ones (human or furry) in pain and feel powerless. Hope you're able to help him get a bit more comfortable.

Sure you'll get some good advice on here.

she has rang an after hours vet they suggested bathing him in warm salt water, due to the old boy being blind he just cant handle it he is in to much pain and has to be muzzled which causes him more distress :)

when my cavalier had her teeth out the vet said I could give her aspirin for her pain relief. straight aspirin though.

But ring the emergency vet first.

poor poor dog, hope he finds some relief soon.

ok I have muzzled him and bit the bullet and rubbed some more of the cream with the local in it...he forgave me cause I gave him a liver treat afterwards....I will just keep doing that thru the night if he needs it, and ring my vet in the morning. Hopefully he will settle again; the muzzle distresses him but I need it to do the cream :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, it has been great...I will put piccy up of him as soon as I can work all this out :eek:

thanks again

kym

What a sweety. It's sooooooo hard, isn't it .... watching our beloved dogs in pain. I've done that before and wished I could bare the pain rather than my dog. I'm afraid I have no suggestions other than what you have done with the cream. I agree with CavNRott .... I would not medicate without Vet advice.

Hopefully by morning the immediate pain will have eased and your dog will be back on the road to recovery. I'd still ring the Vet, though and see if you can get something to have on hand. Always seems to be on Sundays and night times when things occur that we need our doggies' Vets.

Good luck for your and your dog.

ETA: He looks pretty good for an 11 year old!

Edited by Erny

:)

Besides being blind, he has no other real concernes :eek: Most people don't even realise he is blind until they see his eyes, cause he just does everything so naturally! Even running about like a loon with the new Papillion puppy ( in the avator) or playing fetch ( we just put a bell in his tennis ball so he can hear where it is bouncing) He is a joy :eek:

I will definately be ringing and then visiting the vet tomorrow...he is resting peacefully now, and I will do the cream again if I have to during the night.