Why Is He Such A Fussy Eater

daccydog

I agree that dogs don't need processed foods, and as long as you are offering a good variety of raw foods, there shouldn't be a problem. :thumbsup:

I feed my dogs on raw, whole foods and have done for a few years now. I feed fosters on kibble b/c most ppl feed processed foods. I have found the major differences are:

Is this not clear enough that what I'm posting is my experience and opinion? :)

I know that some members don't like the way I express my support in feeding a raw, whole foods diet and that's fine. ;) I know that it doesn't work for every dog, but the OP seemed to indicate that the dog she was asking about was doing OK with raw foods...perhaps I misread that?

No matter what I post about feeding a raw, whole foods diet, I know there will always be one or two members here attemtping to shoot me down in flames and I take such comments with a grain of salt. :rofl: I guess some ppl just like to disagree or try to start a fight. It makes no difference to me b/c I know what works for my dogs and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to share that with others. :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, L.M feeds her dogs a little "hypocritical kibble " for breakfast. :)

With regards to the O.P, fussy dogs are made not born. No dog will starve itself, if you put them out a bowl of dry, raw or a combination and give them 10 or 15 minutes ( as suggested ) to eat and then take it away, offer no snacks until the next meal time. The fussy eating won't last long.

Time for some tough love, it doesn't matter what you choose to feed you dog, but set some rules about eating and stick to them. :thumbsup:

daccydog

I don't know if this will help but my dog turns her nose up at a lot of things and will wait for something else to be offered.

I just leave it in her room and by morning it's gone.

She never eats if anyone is watching, or doesn't seem to see the need to eat it straight away.

She won't eat raw meat or bones right away either, will bury them in the garden and dig them up later when they are half rotten, yummm :)

(edited because it didn't make sense)

Edited by MaxSpots

Don't worry, L.M feeds her dogs a little "hypocritical kibble " for breakfast. :)

No Warley, I feed ONE of my dogs (Molly) a tiny handful of Nutrience or Dick van Patten's Natural Balance organic formula for breakfast b/c I can't feed her a raw meal at that time b/c she's a very slow eater. I've already explained the need for this numerous times. :thumbsup:

No Warley, I feed ONE of my dogs (Molly) a tiny handful of Nutrience or Dick van Patten's Natural Balance organic formula for breakfast b/c I can't feed her a raw meal at that time b/c she's a very slow eater. I've already explained the need for this numerous times. :thumbsup:

Maybe you should get out of bed 15 minutes earlier , so she doesn't have to suffer, the poor girl, that hypocritical kibble must taste horrible.

I have one dog who can be smelly on pretty much any kibble (although she was pretty good on Proplan). My other dog could eat anything from the cheapest supermarket brand to the most expensive premium brand and never smell or show any ill effects, I think - she's got cast iron stomach. What's does that tell us?

Both dogs are currently on a mostly raw diet with our dinner leftovers added and doing well on it. The smelly one almost doesn't smell at all - unless she eats too much lamb and then she stinks! They both look better than they did on premium kibble but not so much that I'd rave about the difference. They'll be going back on kibble for a while next year when our second child is born because my OH is insisting that he's going to do EVERYTHING for the first few weeks to allow me to focus on the bub. Given that he'll be working full-time and looking after 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 chooks and a toddler, I figure he's better off with 'half a scoop of this for each cat and a cup of that for each dog', rather than the weighing and deciding what to add that I'm currently doing. I don't think they'll suffer in the experience.

And getting back to the poor OP: like others have said, I think you need to be a bit tough with your dachie. Maybe give him some of what he's happy to eat and some of what you'd like him to eat. He'll soon get the idea and eat the lot.

Don't worry, L.M feeds her dogs a little "hypocritical kibble " for breakfast. :rofl:

No Warley, I feed ONE of my dogs (Molly) a tiny handful of Nutrience or Dick van Patten's Natural Balance organic formula for breakfast b/c I can't feed her a raw meal at that time b/c she's a very slow eater. I've already explained the need for this numerous times. :rofl:

Maybe you should get out of bed 15 minutes earlier , so she doesn't have to suffer, the poor girl, that hypocritical kibble must taste horrible.

Maybe you should remind yourself that I have two other dogs in the household and often a foster or two. Hence the need for Molly to breakfast in a hurry.

I wonder how some ppl have so much time to criticise others rather than doing something that might actually be useful to others?

Don't worry, L.M feeds her dogs a little "hypocritical kibble " for breakfast. :rofl:

No Warley, I feed ONE of my dogs (Molly) a tiny handful of Nutrience or Dick van Patten's Natural Balance organic formula for breakfast b/c I can't feed her a raw meal at that time b/c she's a very slow eater. I've already explained the need for this numerous times. :rofl:

Maybe you should remind yourself that I have two other dogs in the household and often a foster or two. Hence the need for Molly to breakfast in a hurry.

I wonder how some ppl have so much time to criticise others rather than doing something that might actually be useful to others?

I have 9 dogs, they all have an individual diet and I find time to cater for mine. So that's no excuse.

I wonder why people think that "raw" is the answer to every problem. Clearly it is not the case. A raw diet should only be attempted by a novice, with a very experienced person looking over their shoulder, not someone who has pplayed around with a raw diet for one dog. It has the potential to do more harm than a cheap dry food ever could.

The issue is that all the dogs have to go outside to the toilet within a couple of minutes of us waking up. That's why Molly's breakfast needs to be quick for her to eat, b/c she gets up, eats then goes out for the toilet. If she spends 30 minutes eating breakfast, she can't hold her bladder or bowel for that long, and nor can the other dogs. And I would never expect that of them anyway b/c that's just unfair. :rofl:

I've got all the time in the world before I leave for work. It's not a matter of me not having the time, or me not being bothered in preparing a raw meal for Molly. As if I would be that selfish. I would suggest that you don't judge others by your own standards. We are all different, aren't we? :rofl:

ETA - have a nice day! :rofl:

Edited by lillysmum

Geesh!

Daccydog, I hope you are still around :rofl: As you can tell WHAT you feed is very important to a lot of people :rofl:

And back to your issue, I'm sure if you have a really good go of "starving" :rofl: your baby, you will find a lot of your issues will will sorted.

Mine ARE fussy too but they WILL eat when they are hungry. Chopping and switching foods will only make your dog think "If I can hold out, there might be something more tasty"....

Hope this helps :rofl:

Lillysmum

No matter what I post about feeding a raw, whole foods diet, I know there will always be one or two members here attemtping to shoot me down in flames and I take such comments with a grain of salt. I guess some ppl just like to disagree or try to start a fight. It makes no difference to me b/c I know what works for my dogs and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to share that with others.

If you spent more time considering the content of your posts before you hit the "reply" button, no one would feel the need to disagree, and then you wouldn't need to make endless posts justifying your position, which would be a relief to everyone. Oh, and if you do your sums, you will see that "one or two" is considerably more than that!

Not everyone on this forum agrees with everything others post, but we seem to mostly be able to disagree amicably - because most people clearly qualilfy their remarks, which is what you should also do.

My dogs never stank on premium kibble and they didnt poo much either. They've been on a raw diet for a few years, they smell of bone breath and they crap constantly. Um......I would think that's damn normal. Boney breath, lots of healthy poos and what the hell are you on about LM? If you were so convinced about a raw diet you would

1) never feed kibble to one of your dogs; and

2) convince owners of your fosters to feed raw/barf rather than spouting shit that you feed your fosters kibble because most people do.

Is your diet processed because I see a lot of crap in your posts, lovey.

Chugga chugga chugga

Might be because someone without the properly approved and certified licence to drive a train thinks they are the driver? And the conducter? And the fireman?

Could be the passengers don't like the train leaving the rails in charge of the unlicenced driver, and heading for them thar hills goin chugga chugga woo woo thump?

Could be!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

woooooooooooo woooooooooooooooo