Puppy Doesnt Like Walking On Floorboards!

Whateverr

my puppy, spike, doesnt like to walk on the floorboards.... ive tried to get him to walk by using treats but he still doesnt come closer...

he'll walk on the tiles and the carpet but as soon as i walk out of that perticular room and onto the floorboards, he either stays put and crys OR he comes out a little bit but then "chickens out" and goes back to where he was originally...

its really confusing me and ive tried everything i can think of to get him to walk on the floor boards but still no progress

here are some photos of him....

102_1810.jpg

102_1813.jpg

102_1815.jpg

102_1816.jpg

102_1820.jpg

Edited by Abbey B

:rolleyes:

I just got taken back to when i got kaos - she HATED tiles. Would follow me all around the house, then when i would walkinto a room with tiles, she would follow, realise she was on tiles and go all wobbley and fall over :laugh:

Im a mean mother. I just ignored it, i tried treats, nothing worked, so i ggave up, if she wanted to be with me, she learnt to walk on tiles!

She does it now, at home, but if i go to someone elses house she wont move, goes on tiles and freezes!

Cute pictures.

I really only wanted to say that :rolleyes: but now have a suggestion about the pads of the paws...... maybe the hair there needs trimming or the nails need a trim! just suggestions lol I just know Scrappy has problems on slippery surfaces if the hair on his paws need a trim. But, I agree dont worry :laugh: if you fluff wants to be near you his desire will find a way :D

Maybe put down a hall runner until he gets some confidence

Or even some blankes/towels.

Once he's playing around he might forget and chase the ball over to the floor and back to the blanket that is spread out.

Just an idea, I haven't had this problem before.

He is adorable !!!!

You can buy reasonably cheap rubber backed hall runners from Bunnings by the metre. I have laid these across the slippery areas of polished boards in my house and it fixed the problem. Duncan slipped on the floors a few times when his leg was bandaged after surgery and must have hurt himself so now is pretty wimpy on the polished boards. Both my furkids sometimes stupidly try and rush past me when entering these rooms and so will slip and panic, safer all round to have the runners down.

Cheers,

Corine

Edited for spelling.

Edited by fido666

what a cute puppy! Abbey, you don't happens to have a video you can upload on youtube do you? :thumbsup:

what breed is she/he? Sorry I don't have any advice for you except puppy socks. :D

haha yeh i could upload one for you.. hehe i could make it all pretty like... but yeh as of this moment i havent got any videos of him on the floorboards but i can quiet easily get one :)

opps forgot to add... he is a maltese/poodle... :D

Edited by Abbey B

haha yeh i could upload one for you.. hehe i could make it all pretty like... but yeh as of this moment i havent got any videos of him on the floorboards but i can quiet easily get one :D

opps forgot to add... he is a maltese/poodle... :D

yippee! I'm a sucker for puppy movies :thumbsup::) :D

He is just gorgeous!! :D

Yep - trim those hairy little pads :thumbsup: (And do the nails while you're at it :D) Keep trimming until you can see all the actual pads.

You will probably find that he still won't walk on the wooden floor straight away 'cos he still think he's going to slip. You will need mats, rubber-backed, non-slip stuff until he realises he actually can walk on the floor and have grip. :)

It's not ideal to have puppies on slippery floors anyway, so invest in some rugs/mats you can live with

:D :D :D

I had to laugh when I read your post. My Lab Molly has the opposite problem. She LOVES running full pelt on the spot on our slippery floorboards, like she is on a treadmill, till she gets enough speed and traction and launches herself like a cannonball down the hallway. She has slammed into the wall a couple of times, gets up and does it all over again. She can't get enough of it. It is probably not good for the floorboards, there are scratch marks all over them, but it is hysterical!

This morning Jade (being a good girl and sitting on command) started sliding backwards along the kitchen floor.

Was funny, she did it a few times.. one day she'll learn.. maybe

:laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl: :p

:rofl:

Niki sits on the tiled kitchen floor with her rear end sliding backwards and her front paws sliding forwards. She does this sort of caterpillar hump and tries to get both her front and back legs together and then repeats the hump. We crack up laughing at her. It is so funny.

As for the slippery floor phobia, my sister in laws dog is phobic about floorboards because the vet surgery has them. His phobia has extended to concrete floors as well. She has tried treats as well. What worked for her was bodily hoisting him on the tiles and sitting with him and ignoring him until he settled down. She then praised him and let him go. She did this over a number of days. Now he is ok with floorboards and concrete EXCEPT at the vets!