Frozen Barf "patties" Vs Buy Own Ingredients

samoyedman

I have tried the BARF patties and they're not bad - they don't feel overly greasy. I find them too big to keep in my freezer - but I do get them from time to time. Most of the time I buy mince from a great shop in Haberfield and keep mushed veggies in 1/2 cup size frozen balls in the freezer.

I believe that if Dr Ian Billinghurst puts his name on the label - then I assume he ensures that the patties meet a certain level of quality.

It would be interesting to see if the quality of the patties drops over time. At the moment I think the quality is good. My dogs like them!

Yes WL, i agree they take up alot of room but 1/2 of my freezer is bones anyway LOL, i found with Harvey he would gulpthe pre-made dr b down to fast whereas my mixed was chunkier (minced carcass & vege/fruit) - he is a pig though

They are convinent if you don't have the time to make your own, Harvey isn't even on BARF atm (still get fish, BIG bones etc), he is on hills oral care - dam bugger as mentiond gulps bones in one move - teeth looking a little blergh :thumbsup:

WL - as a side note.. saw Jock (remember Jock?) last week, he is the funniest little 'old man" i have seen, a real mans dog and a little chubby too.

I tend to only buy the BARF patties if I run out of time to make my own. I agree that the home made stuff is better!

Katetk - yes I do remember wee old Jock - I still have a couple of pics of him on my computer at home!! I am soooo pleased he is a doing well! Thanks for letting me know!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by westielover

I tried to use the BARF frozen patties and they were just gross!

I now mix my own and not only does it smell and look heaps better, my dogs do so well on it - they are really happy and healthy!

People often say that it is a lot of work but it is really so easy and quick.

I use Vets All Natural vege mix and add minced chicken frames, beef mince, organic vitamins & minerals, eggs, yoghurt, fish oil, etc.

It takes me about 5 minutes to mix it all up and the dogs love it! :laugh:

We were feeding akira barf patties for about 9 mths and they did wonders for her. She has some food related allergies that were causing her to be red and irritated on her tummy and scratching all the time. We were feeding supercoat puppy at the time. We switched to the pork barf patties and literally within a week there was a huge improvement. Her tummy colour went back to a normal pale pink creamy colour and her scratching was greatly reduced. We were happy keeping her on that apart from the huge expense and also the lack of freezer room. I have switched to Nutro sensitive which is showing the results.

Helen

Koolie was fed Dr B patties for approx 6 months and he loved them. Unfortunately, they are no longer available in Tas (as we are the only state in Aus that it is actually illegal to feed dogs offal) so I'm doing a home Barf diet now. To be honest, as much as the Dr B patties are convenient, less timely etc. I think Koolie is doing better on the home Barf diet. He seems to have lots more energy (hmmm....is that such a good thing????!!!!) and is coat is a lot shinier too. If the patties were still available, I would definitely have some in the freezer though. They are a good standby - and for me, much better than dry food etc.

I like both. I mostly make up my own mix because of the cost, and difficulty separating the patties. I dont think I have my mix just right though as my dogs seemed to do better on the pre-made. (though I had to feed them less of it as I found they put on a bit of weight, presumably because the premade ones have more protein than my mix which is half vegies)

My own mix was a lot better when I added the grain suppliment you can buy, but it is only for dogs over 2yrs and I now have a 1yr old dog so had to stop using it :laugh:

I just buy all my own stuff as the pre-made patties are so expensive.

When we boarded the dogs for a week with our vet, they sold the patties so I asked them to feed them that instead of kibble. I actually never saw what they looked like myself.